G Tablet Hardware Breakdown (with pics)

Search This thread

ronhoney

Nov 28, 2010
Woodbridge, VA
Wow! Thanks much for your work.....now we just need to set up Lemcott in a shop to add the additional 512MB of RAM, GPS Module, & 3G Module. Start with a batch of $279 G Tabs from Sears Outlet and the effort could actually make a little money.

ultimind

Aug 12, 2007
LCD Panel replacement

I would be very curious to know what type of LCD panel is being used in this thing. My biggest gripe with this thing is the awful viewing angles especially in an office surrounded by folks who have iPads.

I know a 10.1" IPS panel doesn't exist (as far as my Googling can tell), but there are certainly netbooks whose panels are of much higher quality than what Viewsonic provided. Wait... aren't they a monitor company? :confused:

The most important thing is figuring out the connector that is used, and if a better panel can be found that matches that and fits in the case securely.

raydog153

Nov 28, 2007
I would be very curious to know what type of LCD panel is being used in this thing. My biggest gripe with this thing is the awful viewing angles especially in an office surrounded by folks who have iPads.

I know a 10.1" IPS panel doesn't exist (as far as my Googling can tell), but there are certainly netbooks whose panels are of much higher quality than what Viewsonic provided. Wait... aren't they a monitor company? :confused:

The most important thing is figuring out the connector that is used, and if a better panel can be found that matches that and fits in the case securely.

If you turn the tablet upside down, the viewing angles are better as if they mounted the panel upside down. Granted it isn't much better, but it helps a little.

Reactions: linuxrebel

ultimind

Aug 12, 2007
If you turn the tablet upside down, the viewing angles are better as if they mounted the panel upside down. Granted it isn't much better, but it helps a little.

I regularly use my GTab upside down. Since the UI flips 360, it's never a problem.

I found the specs on the panel used in our GTabs:
http://lcd.eechain.com/datasheet_detail.asp?bg_key=A&sk_nub=B101AW06%20V0

It quotes the viewing angles at 45x45x15x35 which is just about right as far as I'm able to measure at home.

Let's take a look at an Asus 1001P netbook, which is often rated as one of the better panels among 10" WSVGA netbooks:

We know the 1001P is rated very highly, especially in contrast ratio:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2965/asus-eee-pc-1001p-our-favorite-netbook/3

We can derive the panel used in said laptop here:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=88221

If we continue our googling, we can find a manufacturer datasheet for the HSD100IFW1 display:
http://www.deaking.cn/uploadfile/HSD100IFW1-A00.pdf

Section 3.0 specs this display's viewing angle at: 70x70x50x60

So not only does this panel look great, it also is rated at almost 4 times the vertical viewing angle, and nearly double the horizontal as the B101AW06 panel found in our GTabs.

The problem:
The HSD100IFW1 spec'd above uses a 30 pin LVDS interface. Our B101AW06 panel uses a 40 pin LVDS interface. Now we must find out if Hannstar provides said panel in a 40 pin configuration.

I'm totally game for swapping my panel BTW. :D :D :D :D

markgolly

Nov 25, 2010
Also, if you can find the interface spec for the gtab's stock display like in the HSD100IFW1 display datasheet (section 5, page 12, and following), the hardware gurus here might be able to hack a 30-to-40-pin LVDS converter....

ultimind

Aug 12, 2007
Also, if you can find the interface spec for the gtab's stock display like in the HSD100IFW1 display datasheet (section 5, page 12, and following), the hardware gurus here might be able to hack a 30-to-40-pin LVDS converter....

Further Googling reveals that the HSD100IFW1-A02 appears to be a 40 pin interface.

I wish we knew if the connectors all lined up!!!!

ultimind

Aug 12, 2007
That's what some thin wire and solder is for. Regarding fitting it in the case, there's always hot glue for that. :D Who's willing to try it out? :p

The cheapest price I can find for the panel is $69 + shipping. It says drop shipped from mfg, so that probably means 2+ weeks to get it from Asia. Eeekk!

markgolly

Nov 25, 2010
Sorry, not my gtab before Christmas - got a looong car trip with anxious kids to keep under control.... :eek:

ultimind

Aug 12, 2007
I'm tempted to get some warranty-voiding action going this weekend and tear into the thing. Atleast see what I'm up against... if there will be soldering involved or if I'm lucky and they use a normal connector.

markgolly

Nov 25, 2010
I'm tempted to get some warranty-voiding action going this weekend and tear into the thing. Atleast see what I'm up against... if there will be soldering involved or if I'm lucky and they use a normal connector.

Display LVDS interfaces are all pretty similar - just on different pins. That's why I was wanting the datasheet for the current gtab display. That way I can compare pins and electrical waveforms to see how compatible the two displays are. I just can't find a datasheet on the gtab's display.... :mad:

ultimind

Aug 12, 2007
One potential problem is that the Hannstar panel used in the Asus is 1.9mm thicker than the AU Optronics panel.

Not sure that there's an extra 2mm inside there to cram a panel. :confused:

Lnin0

Dec 2, 2010
For what its worth. Here is info on Pixel Qi 3Qi-01 10.1" / 40-pin LVDS
w w w . display-solution.com/pdf/tft-displays/Pixel%20Qi/pixel_qi_spec.pdf

Samsung LTN101NT02 (seems to be in or compatbile with a lot of the netbooks that the 3Qi-01 is fitting in).
w w w . laptopremont.com/manuals/LTN101NT02.pdf

LG LP101WSA (same as above)
w w w .laptopremont.com/manuals/LP101WSA-TLN1.pdf

I don't read Russian but on this laptopremont site they do list the B101AW06 (no PDF) and it looks like the Chimei 10.1"WSVGA N101L6-L0C/L0D is listed as an alternative replacement to it.

w w w .chimei-innolux.com/opencms/cmo/products/notebook/products_notebook_N101L6_L06.html?__locale=en

There are a couple other 10.1" AOU panels that do have white papers with pin assignements on that site if that helps as well.
w w w .laptopremont.com/manuals/B101AW03%20V.0.pdf

ultimind

Aug 12, 2007
For what its worth. Here is info on Pixel Qi 3Qi-01 10.1" / 40-pin LVDS
w w w . display-solution.com/pdf/tft-displays/Pixel%20Qi/pixel_qi_spec.pdf

The question would be whether the Pixel Qi display could be switched in software on Android.

This would be the ultimate solution, but probably the most difficult to implement.

markgolly

Nov 25, 2010
I'll look at these PDFs over the weekend and compare their electrical and interface specs.

markgolly

Nov 25, 2010
Aaah, couldn't help myself, I looked (at least at the PixelQi datasheet)

The PixelQi display is electrically compatible (voltages and currents are in-tolerance and LVDS pins are identical). The problem is that the LVDS timings are slightly different - probably enough to make it "not work" out-of-the-box. However, the display timings might be settable in the kernel (or they might even use the EDID info, which would make it "just work"...).

Also, from what I can tell, there is no "display switch" to go from the grayscale to the color display and back again - its all dependent on backlight *and* ambient light intensity as to what you see.

ultimind

Aug 12, 2007
Aaah, couldn't help myself, I looked (at least at the PixelQi datasheet)

The PixelQi display is electrically compatible (voltages and currents are in-tolerance and LVDS pins are identical). The problem is that the LVDS timings are slightly different - probably enough to make it "not work" out-of-the-box. However, the display timings might be settable in the kernel (or they might even use the EDID info, which would make it "just work"...).

Also, from what I can tell, there is no "display switch" to go from the grayscale to the color display and back again - its all dependent on backlight *and* ambient light intensity as to what you see.

Very interesting.... Can these panels be purchased yet?

Fencesitter

Aug 23, 2010
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I was actually able to plug the Pixel Qi display into the GTablet and it worked, at least with the backlight. The problems are: the the panel is wider and thicker than the stock AUO, so fitting it in the case is difficult; the connector is in a different place so really, fitting it in the case is difficult; also, I had some issues with the touchscreen working consistently- that may have been due to having everything hanging loose due to the aforementioned problems.

At least the nice thing is that the panel used the same wiring harness and plug.

Since the Pixel Qi screen is supposed to work out of the box in some laptops, I assume that you just need to tweak the backlight settings to get the transflective part working. I assume you can use the power control widget, or CM6 allows custom backlight levels depending on the ambient light level.

I've already moved back to the stock AUO screen, so I can't check this stuff.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I posted this in two of the posts buried deep within the bowels of the original thread, but I think it's a good idea to have it separated into it's own thread.

There are 4 screws under the rubber feet on back of the tablet that help hold the device together. Aside from these 4 screws, there are 3 plastic clips per side that hold the case closed.

2010-11-07_09-19-11_903.jpg

When you break the case open, you'll see the 2-cell, 7.4V battery, the motherboard, and the metal inner frame. The frame is held in place by screws around the perimeter, including 1 screw that is covered by the motherboard.

2010-11-07_09-36-38_831.jpg

The EMF shield simply snaps off, revealing the hardware within. The Tegra 2 chip is of the T20 series, and the board is populated with 512MB of RAM, and the 2 chips composing the 16GB flash storage. The WIFI/Bluetooth module is made by USI. Audio is processed by a Realtek ALC5623 chip, through two separate speakers which are built into small enclosures.

Also, there are spaces for a 3G modem and what could be assumed to be a GPS unit left unpopulated.

2010-11-08_20-28-33_36.jpg

There is nothing interesting to be seen on the back side of the main board except that it can be noted that there is space for an additional 512MB of ram to be added to the board and an EMF shield to be placed around it.

2010-11-07_09-45-49_520.jpg

There is a hard-reset button on the main board, located next to the battery and below the 3G pads. There is also an unpopulated space for a second button.

Although not pictured, the screen is a standard netbook screen (which explains the viewing angles). It is manufactured by AU Optronics, model B101AW06. It is controlled by a Texas Instruments LVDS83B.

The capacitive functions are handled by Tango S32s. There is an AMTEL chip on the board with them. I'm assuming it's an interface between the main board and the capacitive controllers.

---

On the whole, this is a very well built device. There is room to upgrade for those daring enough to take on the task. It will be interesting to see what people do the device when it becomes more mass market in the coming weeks.

---
    Updates:

The chipset for the wifi/bt module is a Broadcom BCM4329.
    Note: I originally posted this in a new thread, but to help consolidate discussion into one thread, I'm (re)posting it here. And effectively killing my old thread.

------------

I took apart my GTab to install a new panel. And since my GTab is in pieces right now, I thought I would share some high resolution pictures of the hardware.

I'll leave my GTab in pieces for awhile. So if you want me to take closeups of a certain component, let me know.

Pic1 - Back exterior shell removed.
    http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4381/001hx.jpg

Pic2 - System board and battery removed.
    http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2904/002wmr.jpg

Pic3 - Bracket removed (revealing LCD panel)
    http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6904/003lf.jpg

Pic4 - Bracket only (front side)
    http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/3298/bracketfront.jpg

Pic5 - Bracket only (back side)
    http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/395/bracketback.jpg

Pic6 - System board only (front side)
    http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5301/sysboardfront.jpg

Pic7 - System board only (back side)
    http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5667/sysboardback.jpg

Pic8 - Digitizer only
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/149/digitizerx.jpg
    they are definitely better. i would say the 60 60 50 50 in the spec sheet is correct.

i managed to get the whole case back on. the screws arent done up the whole way but i will go around the case with some sort of filler and use slightly longer screws. you wont be able to notice once im done.

i am able to change the resolution. i am just waiting on the kernel source/finding a way of doing it manually.

the tegra 2 chip DOES support this resolution.
    A line on a battery would be GREAT. Just to keep this thread alive, as useful as it is.
    t3h_g3n3r4l,

can you take a look at the front facing part of the frame, and see what is behind the 4 front buttons? I was wondering if you could use nail polish remover to remove the paint behind the buttons (so some light would shine through). How hard was it to remove the main board from the case?

Thanks!

There's a circuit board down there. I didn't bother to see what all was on it though. It might be possible to use some sort of SMD LED backlight and use light-piping to etch lit buttons in whatever color you want. The only downside is that you'd most likely lose the ambient light sensor functionality.

It was fairly easy to pull the main board. All of the wiring connectors use positive force to keep them together as opposed to locking connectors, so it was just a matter of pulling everything loose, which wasn't difficult.

The hardest part was getting into the case. When pulling it apart, it's easiest to start at the corner diagonally opposite the volume button working towards the front panel buttons, then down the side with the volume controls, then down the side with the dock connector, then finally the edge with the USB ports.

It looks like that touch controller is capable of more than just the two points that it currently allows. Apparently its software controlled how much it can sense.

Interesting. I wonder if the AMTEL chip on the board with those sensor chips is actually what is limiting us the two-point multitouch, as opposed to Android. It looked like a microcontroller chip (I think maybe a PIC), I just never really bothered to read all of the etchings on it.

Looks like I need to open this thing up again and see what else I can discover.