Answers to questions that repeatedly are asked in the forum are listed here.
What is a Blackstone? It is generally known as the HTC Touch HD
What are its specifications?
See the HTC Blackstone Overview page
How do I lock the phone? Hold down the end key
How do I call a contacts other number?
Slide your finger horizontally across the contact, or press menu/open contact and then select
How do I stop the screen unlocking when a call comes in?
When a notification or call occurs, the screen unlocks, and when you hit the power button
My Application shows too small / doesn't work - what can I do?
Certain applications have compatibility issues, due to the fact they were written for VGA devices (480 * 640) and the HD is WVGA (480 * 800). WVGAFix3 by Cotulla will put your HD into VGA mode before you run those old application. It is recommended that you turn off the device after use as it can mess up the Phone screen when you just switch modes.
My HD is freezing for several seconds - can this be fixed?
This issue is seen as frequent pauses and freezing for several seconds, especially noticeable when entering text (eg SMS) or when scrolling the page in Opera.
How do I make all applications turn when I rotate the HD?
Not all applications respond to the g-sensor (screen rotation)
- There are a number of applications (eg. Gyrator2, GSen) that can help work around this issue.
- Some discussion here and even more here
Is there a way to work around the lack of a dpad?
The issue is that certain games and applications (eg. combo boxes), are tricky or impossible to use.
How to enter bootloader
On a powered off phone hold down the volume down button and power on at the same time. You should see the tricolor screen after 2-3 seconds.
How Do I have to remove the case to do a soft reset?
The soft reset switch is within the battery compartment, however -
- You can get the same effect by doing a 5 second press of the power button
- There are also software versions
How to Hard Reset your Phone
To hard reset your phone which means to delete ALL personal data and settings and have the phone in factory default conditions as if you turned on the phone for the first time after purchasing, press the following buttons:
- With the device turned off, press and hold the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons, then briefly press the POWER button.
- Continue pressing the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons until you see this message on the screen:
This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to the manufacturer default settings. Press VolUp to restore manufacturer defaults, or press other keys to cancel.
- Release the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
- Press the VOLUME UP button to perform the hard reset, or press any other button to cancel the reset.
You can also use Clear Storage to reset your device back to factory default settings.
- On the Home screen, slide to the Settings tab and then tap All Settings.
- On the System tab, tap Clear Storage.
- Enter “1234” and then tap Yes.
Make sure you back up all your data such as Contacts, Appointments etc or they will be gone forever.
Is there a TV out function?
!Is the Ext USB port the same as a mini USB port? Nearly - you can plug the HD into a normal miniUSB charger/lead, but can't use the HD charger for an miniUSB device.
How can I increase battery life?
The problem is that battery life can be short (eg. 1-3 days)
- Turning off Bluetooth, WiFi and 3G when not used will increase battery life.
- Some discussion here
Video and screen
MOD Edit MDAIIIUser , I don't get this How do I increase video quality?
- The built-in WMP (Windows Media Player) has some hardware acceleration but only supports a few formats (eg. H264 mp4s)
- CorePlayer supports more formats, but does not yet have hardware (QTv) support
- Optimize your SD card
- If you are using a resolution a lot higher than 800x480, consider recoding.
- <add links to forum threads>
End MOD Edit
Parts of my screen seem to be flickering - is this normal? In the dark and/or with high contrast horizontal lines, some users perceive flicker You can remove the top and bottom curtains on the main screen (at your own risk), which reduces flicker there
Sound and volume controls
Does the extended USB port have sound output (for example, for in car use) No, the Headphone socket needs to be used for sound output.
Does the 3.5mm (top) headphone socket support headphone remote control functions? Only the basic one-button function you get with the default headset and most iPhone headsets:
- long press = voice dialing
- short press = mute
- long press = hang up
Can the radio be recorded No
Can I use the radio with my Bluetooth headset ? No, the cable of your ear plugs is the antenna and you need that to pick up the reception
How can I fix the unsubtle volume controls? (gets too loud) The volume control is not too subtle, and can be loud/quiet (depends on region)
- the volume can also be adjusted on screen with the stylus (and there are registry entries for sound levels)
- Change/create with a registry editor: (HKLM=Local Machine) HKLM\software\HTC\AudioManger_eng\Config\music_player_volumn . It should be DWORD with a value of about 10. This will only reduce the sound volume in the TouchFlo player.
- See item 24 here: Swiss tweak site
How can I stop the volume controls from working when the HD is locked?
- This is probably to allow its use as a walkman
- There are a couple of possible fixes
Phone use, Bluetooth / WiFi / GPRS
My HDs Bluetooth is losing connection with my in car kits after a call
I have duplicate contacts listed
This is because they are showing up from internal contacts storage and your SIM card. You could back them up to your PC, then delete them from the SIM card. There is also a HideSim.cab, but it only does it until a reboot.
You can also use programs like SKTools to hide SIM contacts without deleting them from your SIM card; works without rebooting (If you prefer to use a register tweak instead of SKTools read below). However after reboot the contacts show up again. To solve this place the file yJay.HideSim.exe to your windows Startup folder. (download the file from pocketpc.ch "here")
Register tweak: Go to HKCU\Control Panel\Phone Create a new DWORD value with the name ShowSim and the value 0
<is there a better fix yet?>
I am having trouble connecting to be router via WiFi
Some people have issue connecting to certain WiFi routers, especially DLink
- It is worth trying to use WLAN "best performance" mode
- Another thing is to try connecting it once with WiFi security disabled, then re-enable it.
Fight mode doesn't seem to be turning off all the connections?
Flight mode may fail to work properly
- It appears that any activity within about 20 seconds of it being enabled will make it look although the mode is enabled, but it isn't
Can I add a missed call/SMS sound?
Via 3rd party apps
Can I record phone calls?
It can be using Resco Audio Recorder, although the non HD person is recorded at a low volume. See here.
Another commercial programm you can use is VITO AudioNotes See here, which costs 6$.
How can I disable all data connections, so I don't run up any bills?
Use the noData application
I can't save pictures, but I have space on my card
This appears to be a bug
SMS & MMS
When I want to reply to an SMS it covers the last message I'm typing
It's a known issue - you can hide & show the keyboard, which isn't ideal.
How can I increase the space I have to type SMS messages in?
This involves altering a system file, so do at your own risk. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=459633
How do I reduce the font size when editing sms messages?
- Settings / All Settings / System (Tab) / Screen (Icon) / Text Size (Tab) Reference
- However, this may not work in the Touch-Flo (Manila) version.
I'm not getting SMS notifications
this may help
Any way to get notifications of missed SMS/call every few minutes?
This little tweak here does the job
How can I reduce GPS lag?
- Reducing the amount of processing (eg tomtom speed cameras/POIs) may help
- Turning off POI does definitely help
GPS takes a while to fix/is inaccurate
- check a-gps is enabled - it may not be when you receive the HD.
My Calendar shows 'tomorrow' for appointments today (or today for ones yesterday)
The Calendar always opens in agenda view - can I change this?
How can I see more than one appointment in the Calendar?
You can minimize the clock (slide your finger up the screen)
TF3D does not seem to respect changes to default apps (eg, calendar, Opera) in WM6.1, or I want to change the apps that start
SSMaPa can be used to alter the TF3D links
How do I stop the Weather application connecting every day?
weather tab -> menu -> settings -> disable the automatic download
I'm still seeing a voicemail alert message, but I haven't got one
There are some suggestions here
Windows Mobile 6.1
My keyboard is mapped wrongly (keys swapped)!
There is a keyboard mapping error in some locales on landscape (specifically ',' and '.')
How do I show the battery percentage?
There is a cab to fix (see software page)
I can't access drop downs (combo boxes) as I don't have a dpad!
This is a problem in certain applications (eg. spb ones). The only workaround is the use the up/down arrows an on-screen keyboard
there is an opera config fix for this.
The Opera images are pixelated (Blocky)
Does Flash video work in Opera?
Not really - Skyfire is a partial fix
Opera won't rotate to landscape properly any more / flicks back to portrait / minimizes!
Have you recently installed an adjusted/colored top/icon bar? it may be that. (you may need to reset after uninstalling the bar)
My Outlook mail won't update when the HD is on standby
This appears to be an issue, and there may be workarounds here
3rd Party software
I can't get TomTom to work!
You need the right version, It's quite complex best to read this thread