HTC Athena/AP4 FAQ
This is a FAQ for people using or wanting to use the AP Team's 4.x ROM Release
The Athena AP4 Rom was developed by a team of XDA enthusiasts Pawel062, Ltxda, Olipro, Cmonex, ????
It is based on the X7510 WM6.1 Rom BUT is NOT meant to be flashed to x7510 devices
Athena AP4.0 FAQ
- Note to anyone wanting to contribute to this FAQ, Please Try to add your infotmation to an
existing section of the FAQ. This will help to keep it simple and all related information together. Thank You. brau0303 & the AP Team
The AP4 Installer utility does... (from cmonex) :
1. you run the athenaupdater exe, it seems to be waiting for something while it extracts itsutils (pmemdump and stuff)
2. the something is to determine if the Athena is running WM or is put in bootloader (if some moron doesn't read the excellent HowTo a link to which is included at the athenaupdater download) - it does it in the following way: attempts to push pmemdump to the athena, if that fails then after 1 min of waiting it'll error out and shows you the fucksticks message
3. if it finds the athena running WM then it also checks the bootloader version by reading a fixed memory location. then compares bootloader version to 3.50, if it is 3.50 then it won't flash the new SPL, if it is not 3.50 (can safely assume it is below 3.50) then launches ROM Upgrade Utility (RUU) which then launches SSPL (named version 3.15 and will only accept signed SPL's, signed by public htcdevs cert) as the enterbootloader.exe otherwise just launches RUU with normal enterbootloader and the overwrite protection of the SPL 3.50 won't let the SPL in the big NBH flash.
4. the NBH flashes and the athena is supposed to nicely reboot to AP4. if you cancel the process you can be left with corrupt wifi/modelid.
for extra safety the NBH has the special header already so no moron can flash it to SPL 1.20 if they manage to quickly put the device in bootloader after the pmemdump check ran.
I. General & Known Issues:
- HTC Today Plugin Related: There are many applications that have a known
compatability with the HTC Today Plugin, if you have an App that malfunctions of will not load at all try disabling the HTC plugin in "Settings, Today, Items"
- HTC Today Plugin Weather will not download updates on AT&T 3G: AT&T uses a proxy,
if you are having this issue go to "Settings, Connections\Advanced, Tap "Select Networks" in the upper pull down be sure "MEdia Net" is selected, Tap edit, goto the "Proxy Settings" tab & Uncheck "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet" box.
- Media Player in 96DPI: Go to "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Skins" and change
DefaultLandscapeSkin= /windows/wmp_WPC_player_640x480_96dpi.skn (change 480x640 to 640x480) DefaultPortraitSkin
/windows/wmp_WPC_480x640_96dpi.skn" (change 640x480 to 480x640)
- Using keyboard to select items in menus: go to HKEY CURRENT USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSFT\SHELL
and change the dword value for the Has Keyword from 0 to 1.
- Screen Flip: this can be caused by the VueFlo control and can be toggled on/off
or disabled completely in tab 2 of the "Athena Config App" in the system page of Athena control panel. Also if desired you can Map a hardware button to vo.exe in the "windows" directory if you want to quickly toggle on/off this feature.
- HTC Album Seems to Hang the Athena: This app scans all storage on the device looking
for media files, this can take a while and even cause the device to become unresponsive, please be patient and all should be fine.
- FtouchFLO Fix: dowload and install the .cab from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p2152800&postcount=252
- Slow Keyboard feedback :Pawel suggesed to to change:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Layouts\e0010409]"Layout Text">"eT9 IME" and "Ime File">"\\windows\\eT9ime.dll"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Layouts\e0010409]"Layout Text">"COMP IME" and "Ime File">"compime.dll" this will fix 1)the suggestions dialog in sms/emails being missing 2)the accented characters 3)the slow Kb feedback
- USB to Storage and Microdrive: Miletb suggested to change:
HLKM\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers\Mass_Storage_Clas s\DeviceName from DSK2: to DSK1: it will works fine - transfer speed is also good. If you want storage card later you will need to change back to DSK2:
II. Flashing Related:
- A Warning about the actual flashing process, do not manually stop the process one it
has started or it can result in your Athena being fully or partially un-usable because some component in rom got corrupted.
- The Windows "Boot Loader Driver": this driver is seperate from the normal driver used
by ActiveSync and WMDC, it must be installed by manually forcing the Athena in to "BootLoader Mode" (Hold the Camera Button pushed as far as it will go & Press Reset) if this driver is not present it should install at this time (This driver is required to allow the PC to communicate with the Athena while in BL Mode most flashing procedures)
- Recovering from a Failed Flash: If you still have the older SPL "1.20 Olipro" you can place the device
in to BootLoader Mode and re-flash with the AP3 release, you should be ok to run that or attempt to flash AP4 again. If you have SPL "3.20 OliNex" or above you will need to re-flash with a special version of the AP3 release that has been made compatible with this version of the SPL. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=385148&page=4
- Restoring To AP3 or Shipped ROMs:
At present it is not possible to restore previous ROMs except for the one specially modified by Cmonex (found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=385148&page=4 ) The Olinex 3.xx SPL changes the directory structure so previous roms do not fit. Symptoms of attempting this are the Athena continuously resetting after the setup screen. As mentioned above, if you want AP3 use Cmonex's altered Rom Cmonex intends to have a way available to restore the previous SPL.
III. Application Compatibility:
- The following applications are known to have compatability issues with the HTC Today Plugin:
IGO/MioMap 6 and above, Weather Panel, Pocket Alarm and others.
- RealVGA problems with the current release: in some screen resolutions some icons are not visible.
There is curently no fix for this and hopefully the app developer will release a newer version that will resolve this on WM6.1 based devices. The htc enlarge menu has icons that are larger than needed in 128 dpi. Hopefully a fix for this will be found soon. The welcomeheads dont change in the different dpis. Hopefully this can be fixed soon.
- WiFi Does Not work: If the WiFi will not turn on at all there may have been a problem with the
AP4 flash process, The solution in this thread should sort out anyone with WiFi issues , http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=2154726&postcount=33 if you need further assistance please post in the thread above and someone should be able to assist you (If you request assistance in the forum, please clearly state what your problem is and what you have done to correct it so far). If your WiFi does turn on please check your settings as this is likely not AP4 related.
- You can also contact raskell by PM (Private Message) through the forum for assistance.
- Phone Not Working: Please verify that the phone is turned on in Comm-Manager
(After the AP4 flash it is turned off by default), also if the Phone is turned on and will not work Please verify that your Athena has radio version 1.50.00 or higher.
- GPS does not work in My APP: You may need to configure it manually in the app, settings will usually work are "Com4, 4800 Baud" Some apps like Tom Tom 6 may also need a "device type" Other NEMA will usually work.
- GPS best settings thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=375959&highlight=GPS+settings
- MioMap and IGO GPS issues with the HTC Today Plugin: There is an great thread in
the Kaiser forums discussing this issue and what has been found to help. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=368179
- Keep your device uptodate by using AppToDate every week. Our friends at Athena Project are releasing new updates to keep your device alive and fix issues that bother you most. So please use AppToDate once a while.
VII: Restoring Messages to SMS Account:
- Pimbackup will only restore messages to accounts with the same name. AP4 and WM6.1 change the sms account name to SMS\MMS
and prior versions of WM used SMS. A workaround is to save messages to your simcard that you want to keep or use something like Jeyo Mobile extender to save the messages to your main computer.
VIII: Removing/Changing the Big HTC Home Screen:
- 1) Upgrade the BIG HTC HOME go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...47&postcount=2, download addons.rar, unrar and install HTCHome_1025_721_ALL.cab
This file has all the SDKCERTS and could UPDATE the AP4
- 2) Upgrade it again using the VGA version http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...59&postcount=1 is older, but it looks great.
The only difference between the HTCHome_1025_721_ALL.cab is in photo contacts, having this one no control over the number to dial, using the default one. This version works fine with HTC HOME CUSTOMIZER ( http://www.pocketemu.com, customize it, add remove tabs, icons, cities.. ) At the end of the process you will have a smaller and less resource hungry HTC home, HTC Home customizer working, FASTER, also in portrait/landscape switching!
- 3) If you like the BIG ONE I will suggest the latest here (transparent or coloured) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=373777 It is a mix between Touch comander v3* HTC Home VGA Screen
- Schaps advanced configurator, it works fine in realVGA too, from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=367043.It gives the power to change the registry in a guided way, for a final tuning-up