How do you tell if its a production or preproduction unit?
The preproduction unit has a 300-MHz processor (my German O2 XDA-trion, looking exactly like the one on the right says in the SysInfo 400-MHz processor), without the final button layout and slightly different color.
This picture shows a preproduction and a production unit, both are HERM100 devices:
The preproduction unit is the one on the left, the one on the right is an O2 XDA trion.
Solution for flashing HERMES preproduction devices
There are some preproduction units out there, watch out as the Original Shipped ROM updates for production units cannot be flashed into preproduction units using the provided Rom Upgrade Utility (exe file). If you have flashed your preproduction unit follow the instructions for those stuck on boot screen .
In case you have a preproduction Hermes and you can not update the ROM due to the fact that your bootloader is <1.04, and it lacks the "wdatah" command used by the upgrading utility, here is the upgrading method:
- format a microSD card with FAT32
- extract the .NBH file from the rom image you like
- rename the .NBH to HERMIMG.NBH and copy it to your microSD card
- put microSD card in phone and start it in bootloader (hold Ok button on left side and POWER button at same time and stick with stylus in RESET on bottom)
- confirm flashing on screen
- flashing might hang after some time but this is normal. Just wait. Complete flash takes about 30 minutes.
This also works for normal (non preproduction) devices but keep in mind that if the CID does not match the flashing might not work. Preproduction devices are SuperCID so they should be able to flash any image using that method.
NOTE: You can also flash preproduction devices with preproduction bootloader using custom RUU