HTC PPC 6700 HOW DO I
Unlock the extended ROM?
- Download the Extended ROM unlocker. (Buzzdev forums are going through some teething pains so this link is currently not working)
Alternate Download: http://www.windowsceportal.hu/index.php?tartalom=szoftverek&azonosito=170
- Hold both softkeys ( buttons with - on them to the left of the Windows key and on the Right of the OK button)
- push in using stylus as per a soft reset.
- a prompt will appear saying "Press Y to restore Factory Default Press N to exit"
- as per the prompt, on the slide out keyboard you press Y to hard reset and N to exit.
Hard Reset Method 2
- tap start, programs.
- in programs tap "clear storage".
- enter 1234 then tap YES
- hold the Voice recorder button, power button and soft reset at the same time.
Get Your MSL
- Download this file and unzip it to your Apache. It doesn't matter where, just remember where you put it.
- Run the program and input your hexidecimal ESN. Make sure to enter alpha characters in CAPS. It will output your MSL code.
Disable Safe Mode before Soft Reset?
- go into "setting" and then icon Spb Pocket Plus, and bottem feature on menu is safe mode, un-tick it. (Thanks to aliendad's post)
- With the phone docked, allow it to sync. Then open the Windows Mobile Device drive. Go to the windows folder, and there is a folder called rings. Just move any audio file there so that it can be used as a ringtone.
Use only Wi-fi and disable usage of Data Plan?
- If you do not have Sprint's data plan, anytime you connect to the net via Sprint's data services, it will cost a bundle. Is there a way to disable the accessing Internet through Sprint's data services? Is there a way to connect to the Internet through only Wi-fi (without disabling the phone)?
If someone knows, please help fill out the answer.
The way I did it is similar to the one below. I just selected connect to my work network, which is what I have my WiFi set to connect as. This way if any program needs a data connection it tries to go through WiFi and if WiFi is off, it does nothing or says there is no connection to get the data. This has saved me from Google Maps and the HTC weather plugin racking up my data charges. Hope this helps.
The best way is probably this: go into start->settings->connections
tap "Connections" tap "Advanced" tap "Select Networks"
change any of the connections that connect to the net to a dummy connection (create a blank connection bytapping "new" then enter in blank details and set that as the default network profile.
that will prevent the device from connecting to the internet via cellular network.
You can also just change the number the phone uses to dial into the network. eg. BellMobility uses #777, change to #123. Changes will survive soft reset but will need to be redone after hard reset.
Spoof your MAC address
- This is useful when the WAP has MAC-based access control and your laptop's MAC address is already on the list. This method might allow you to set your PPC MAC to the same as your laptop.
- backup your registry.
- go to "\HKLM\Comm\WLLUC461\Parms\~NetworkAddress" and enter the address you would like. As noted below this doesn't change the card address and it doesn't last but it will allow your PPC to log onto a DHCP server with a different MAC address.
- Credit: David Hettel MS MVP
Various registry hacks (need a registry editor to do this)
In Site 1 you will find a hack near the bottom to disable Verizon's STUPID diabling of Wi-Fi when trying to make/take calls. In case the site goes away:
Go to key: HKLM/Services/WirelessMgr Find a key called 'MutexFlag' Change it's value from '1' to '0'
Download Stock ROM Image
- Sprint PCS
- Verizon Wireless
- Bell Mobility
- Cellular South
- The following providers don't have the ROMs available, usually because they are an affilliate of a larger company: Centennial, Cellcom, nTelos, Midwest Wireless, Carolina West Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, Telefonica.
- If you would rather browse UTStarcom's server, here is the address as requested: http://www.utstar.com/pcd/downloads/
NOTE: Most of the ROMs above WILL NOT work with Vista. These are the original manufacturer ROM files.
Please feel free to add any carriers I may have missed. I hope this helps reduce some frustration for people! - posted by Jabu