- 1 Extracted Radio ROMs for your Hermes
- 2 Before you consider upgrading your radio ROM...
- 3 Newer Method using a modified Hermes installer:
- 4 Upgrade instructions
Extracted Radio ROMs for your Hermes
Radio upgrade only files for the Hermes, there is no need to hard reset after upgrading the radio.
The radio ROM provides improvements on the GSM radio stack and this has effect on the GSM signal, AT command interface, GSM data modem (3G, GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, etc...) functionality that is controlled by the Radio Interface Layer (RIL). The radio stack has nothing to do with WiFi or bluetooth -- it is only for the GSM/WCDMA(3G) part of the device.
Before you consider upgrading your radio ROM...
Changing your radio will NOT fix broken SIM cards, WiFi problems, Bluetooth issues or external GPS problems, Nor will it magic up a signal from nowhere if you live in a poor coverage area* It may however resolve some network connectivity issues or help improve data speeds.
- Having the latest release does NOT necessarily mean it is the best ROM for your network or country. In extreme cases a later radio may introduce more issues than it fixes so treat all upgrades with caution.
- It is (in extreme cases) possible for the radio firmware to kill actual radio hardware if something is badly wrong or a radio firmware is buggy. This is rarely seen but is potentially a real risk.
- Any update that drives the hardware "harder" in order to increase the gain of both the transmit element and receive pre-amp element in any radio module is usually at the expense of the lifespan of the radio device. To put it simply, high output devices tend to have shorter lives than low output devices.
- Problems with the device emitting more heat than usual, shorter battery life, long drop out periods where the device looks for a network or other "odd" intermittent radio issues can be a warning that something may not be right.
- Recently the battery consumption of popular radio stack versions have been tested and compared. See this thread for more details.
Finally - always experiment cautiously*, be aware of the risks and minimize them and read other peoples experiences on the forums before just taking the latest image and flashing it (_i.e cross reference posts, see where posters are reporting from and take some proper time to do some research BEFORE considering flashing a new image - this way you are less likely to encounter problems and should have a good idea of how an upgrade will perform before exposing your device to any risk_).
Newer Method using a modified Hermes installer:
You can now do radio only upgrades in Bootloader other than SPL 1.04. These will also allow you to change Radio ROM even if you have Radio BL 108 (Check version here: Hermes_RadioBootLoader). These files are bundled as an NBH with the modified Hermes installer (using SSPL by Des)
Just download and execute these to upgrade; however it is recommended that users install HardSPL before flashing these radios.
Your device MUST be running bootloader version 1.04 to upgrade the radio with these:
|Radio||Protocol||KMRX||HTC_BOOT||QC_BOOT||DATE1||DATE2||JNAND||Download||Forum||Tested Country||Tested Network|
|1.16.00.00||32.53.7018.01H||3.2.7018||0107||1.0035||20/Sep/2006||20/Jul/2006||07.00.13 08/Feb/2006||Download||Thread||USA||T-Mob OK|
|1.48.00.00||32.81.7020.20H||3.2.7020||0108||1.0035||31/Oct/2006||17/Aug/2006||07.00.13 02/Nov/2006||Download||Thread||UK Taiwan||T-Mobile (Freezes)CHT (working)|
|1.50.00.00||32.83.7020.20H||3.2.7020||0108||1.0035||31/Oct/2006||17/Aug/2006||07.00.13 02/Nov/2006||Download||Thread||T-Mobile, CZ-TM not useable||CZ-T-Mobile not useable|
|1.54.00.10||32.87.7020.20H||3.2.7020||0108||1.0035||?||?||?||Download||Thread||FRA Taiwan||CHT ( unstable)|
|220.127.116.11||32.87.7020.20H||3.2.7020||0108||1.0035||?||?||?||Download||Thread||Telstra||Telstra AU 3G|
|18.104.22.168||32.89.7020.20H||3.2.7020||0108||1.0035||?||?||?||Download||Thread||CHT Optimus Rede4||Taiwan(Stable) Portugal (Stable) ?>|
- Upgrading the Radio Rom is potentially the most hazardous update you can do to your phone. You should already have installed [[|Hermes_HardSPL|HardSPL]] and this may afford you some protection but people have still had unrecoverable bricks with HardSPL normally caused by a failed Radio upgrade. For this reason you are STRONGLY advised to Update Rom using MicroSD card
- If you do not have a MicroSD card and don't mind taking undue risks then use the following process
- Extract the contents of the compressed file you've just downloaded (for .RAR files use WinRAR| or the free IZArc)
- Run MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe
- Description for Radio 1.11 shows ver 0.70, but don't worry about it, it is really 1.11
- The Hermes screen will turn white and show
"Upgrade Radio Stack Please wait........."
- If you get a "=ERROR 120: COUNTRY ID ERROR=", do not disconnect the device, run MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe again.
- The upgrading process will start and MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe will end up saying
"ERROR 114: Upgrade Error", but the radio ROM will be flashed anyway, don't worry about that error!
- Soft reset with stylus (Device will not be hard reset and no data will be lost)
Note1: Flashing the radio takes about 20 minutes. If you get the 114 error straight away redo the process again.
Note2: For this method, you need bootloader version 1.04 to upgrade your radio and RadioBootloader version 107 or less.
This has been tested with several Hermes devices without problems, but as always we do not take any responsibility if you fail and lose your data or damage your device. Upgrade at your own risk!!!!!