A glossary to help people understand what's being said in the forums. Epic 4g-focused.
- ADB - a program for the PC which allows some low level access to the phone. Allows one to push software/ROMs onto the phone from the computer
- APK - the file format used to store apps before installation on android phones
- AOSP - Android Open Source Project
- brick - originally refered to completely ruining a device such that it was only useful for its weight. Currently used to mean that the phone fails to boot all the way.
- crutchlite - an app that allows all downloads from the default browser
- CPU - Central Processing Unit. The main chip that does the core processing.
- deodex - Combining the ODEX file and the APK files for all the items in the /system/ folder. Allows for easier theming and customizing. 
- Download mode - accessed by shutting down your device then hold number 1 on physical keyboard and press power
- EB13 - a modem version
- EC05 - a modem version
- EE03 - a modem version
- EXT4 - a file system format
- FC - force close
- file system - the subset of code responsible for safely and quickly reading and writing data and code from and to the disk or flash card.
- flash - to write data to non-volatile memory. There is some inherent risk here. Any interruption to a flash write can leave the device in an unusable or less usable state. "ROMs" are typically "flashed."
- force close - when an app crashes, the OS pops up a dialog box which gives you the ability to "force close" or compel the app to stop running. Numerous force closes are a symptom of buggy code. Where the bug lies exactly can be challenging to determine.
- framework -
- full wipe -
- journaling - refers to a file system feature which uses more writes to make the file system more fault tolerant. Enable and Disable journaling using these ROMs
- kernel -
- launcher - a software package which handles your homescreens and application picking menu
- modem - refers to the software piece which sends and receives data over the radio. different versions are rumored to have different performances. change modem versions with Odin.
- nandroid - a backup tool
- ODEX - a file type/extension.
- RFS - a file system format
- ROM - originally Read Only Memory. Then refered to the data/code recovered from a ROM chip. Today refers to code that the manufacturer did not intend to be changed by the user. There is a thriving community of developers who write replacement ROMs.
- root - the highest privledge level on a Unix/Linux/Android system. The root user has the least restrictions. Root permissions let you really mess things up if you're not careful.
- rooting - changing a device so that you have root level access; see Wikipedia:Android rooting
- Stock - any of the officially released software versions from the manufacturer, service provider, cell carrier
- theme - graphical changes. These may affect or interact with ROM or kernel modifications
- TW - Touch Wiz
- Touch Wiz Launcher
- UV - Undervolting
- Undervolting - a method of getting better performance out of a CPU chip
- Wipe Cache Partition - does not uninstall applications
- Wipe Dalvik Cache - The Dalvik cache holds compiled versions of the apps you have installed in order to increase performance. Does not uninstall applications. thread
Roms and Kernels
- ACS - Android Creative Syndicate. A development team
- Genocide Kernel -
- SRF - SyndicateROM Frozen
- Swisscheese ROM -
- twilight zone kernel -
- Vision Kernel -
Apps and Computer software
- ADW - a launcher
- ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) - once installed, it is accessed by turning your phone all the way off then holding down three buttons, volumn down, camera and power (the button combination depends on the device).
- LauncherPro - a launcher
- heimdall -
- ODIN - a software tool which allows very low level control of the phone from a PC. Useful to recover a mostly ruined phone back to the stock software.
- SetCPU - an app which uses root privledges to change the speed that the CPU runs at.
- TI - Titanium backup, an app that can backup and restore apps and data
- Quadrant - a benchmarking app. It runs tests and reports on the speed of the system
- quickpic - an app