|Pantech Burst P9070 (presto)|
This is AT&T's first budget 4G LTE phone, bringing LTE out of the high end and making the new data technology accessible to both high and low end buyers. It is still on sale as of August 18, 2013 for free with a two year contract or around $100 on Ebay (unlocked).
The Pantech Burst can be pushed beyond what it can do out of the box. Known by board name "presto", this device is more capable than you can imagine.
- Steps [Windows Users]
- Click "Download for other platforms"
- Select the Windows bit you are running (you can varify this by right clicking on My Computer and select Properties
- Extract it to your desktop
- Download The Burst Hack Tools
- Extract it to sdk\platform-tools\
- Run hack-burst.cmd
Custom firmware, sometimes known as custom ROMs, can replace the operating system included on the device to add features, bring performance and battery improvements, and update to a newer version of Android.
NOTE: Please upgrade to stock Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich before installing custom firmware, otherwise you will have issues.
- AOSP Android 4.1.2 based
- MIUI Android 4.1 based
- Deathscream's MIUI JB : Thread Link
Guide to Installing Custom Firmware
- Make sure your firmware has been upgraded to the stock Pantech ICS (4.0.4) (see Pantech's website)
- Root your phone, unlock the bootloader, and install CWM recovery (using Burst Hack Tools)
- Download your desired custom firmware (e.g. CyanogenMod, Slimbean, or Paranoid Android) and place it on the external microSD card
- Download the appropriate Google apps from here and place on the external microSD card in the same place
- Boot into CWM recovery by turning the device off, then holding Power + Volume- down together
- In CWM recovery, select "Backup" and make a backup to the SD card
- In CWM recovery, perform a Factory Reset and wipe the /cache
- Then, under Advanced, wipe the Dalvik Cache
- In CWM recovery, select "Install ZIP from SD card", then "Choose ZIP from SD card"
- Select your desired .zip firmware file, then install it in CWM recovery
- Repeat the previous step with the Google apps package
- In the CWM recovery main screen, select "Reboot system"
- The new firmware should boot up for you to use. If it doesn't work or it bootloops, reboot into recovery and restore the backup you made and try again.
If you're having trouble installing drivers on Windows 7 (or earlier versions) try these steps:
- Uninstall all existing Pantech software and restart your computer
- Install the Pantech Suite
- Run the Driver EXE file found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Pantech\Pantech PC Suite\Drivers. This will extract some drivers.
- Connect your phone with USB Debugging enabled: Developer Options --> Android Debugging/USB Debugging.
- In Windows under the Device Manager (Control Panel), you may see "Android" as an unknown device. Right click and select "update driver". Choose from the list of available drivers under "Android Phone". There should be only one choice "Pantech Android ADB Interface Ver1". If you are successful, you will see this listed under "Android Phone".
Changing from ClockworkMod to TWRP
This assumes you have a rooted phone and can install an app in the phone.
- Download TWRP for the Pantech Burst from here
- Inside the ZIP file there's a file "recovery.img". Copy this file to any location on your phone's SD card.
- Install the Recovery tools app and run it. Use "Flash other Recovery" and browse to the "recovery.img" file that you just copied.
- It will ask you if you want to reboot into Recovery. Do that and verify that its successful.
When you have booted into the TWRP recovery and your phone is connected to the computer, in Windows Device Manager a driver called "Google Galaxy Nexus ADB Interface" will appear under "Android Phone"
Ice Cream Sandwich Upgrade
- Phone Specifications (gsmarena.com)
- Official Website (pantechusa.com)
- Pantech Burst Mods on Google+ (plus.google.com)
- For all users
- For developers