Reporting A Problem - Android
- Added this to the wiki as Arjen from the X8 forums suggested
- Finding out that all the user around XDA Developers doesn't give a proper method of feedback
- This lead to particular OP for the Rom Build/Mods/Apps/Themes unable to provide a proper fix
- Particular problem is from the user whom take for granted steps & reading just for sake finding for "downloads"
These steps should help you as the user communicate issues effectively to the developer
Post in the correct forum (Particular Device)
- Some users have been known to post issues in a totally different forum not for the device the issue exists on.
- Example :: problem on Xperia XXXX ROM on Samsung Forum thread(This Is Improper)
- Please post the issue in your devices specific forums only!
Post at particular Thread that you have encounter problem
- If you have a problem/bug to report on XXX Rom.Do Report on XXX Rom Thread & not YYY Rom or other's
- If there's a Solution/FAQ Page for the particular rom do report on the thread instead the [DEV] thread
- Doesn't require to open a thread on the Android Development Forum.It's just spam at there.We hate it(I mean you not suppose to)
Do Not Use The Private Message Button
- Please Never Ever Sent Any PM to developers just to report the bug you encountered.Post it on the particular thread that mentioned
- Developers/OP will have an eye on it.Therefore doesn't need to sent pm to report your's
- Do appreciate work by the developers & respect they have their own time too.Keep your question on thread
Read OP Pages At least twice
- The place that you will gain all the info you should have
- Read every single notice/quote/information/instruction/faq/other's written page
- Do not just head to the download section and press the download
- let every info on which particular thing you need and what you should do to install it
Follow ALL the instruction given
- When the OP Posted Wipe Cache & Dalvik.It mean to select that particular option only
- If the OP Posted Use Only Select/Recommend Kernel.Please do only flash/install particular kernel only
- Follow each and all instruction properly(No lazyness/Skipping) any one of those
Search through thread whether the similar problem has been reported
- Let say you have setting fc's everytime you enable the sound option.Do search before whether other user have reported or not
- If The Particular Problem/Bug has been reported.Doesn't need another user to report it.(Duplicating post)
Give Proper Report
- Give A Report Such As This
- What steps/instruction did you used?
- Did you try wipe & cache
- Did you tried it more then twice?
- What kernel you are running on?
- Which version of build you are having problem with
- Do Explain the problem clearly.If you have random reboot upon selecting theme manager,do report that it's due to the theme manager not just saying "I have random reboot"
- If possible provide a screenshot
- Do provide an adb logcat (everyone on this forum should have at least logcat skill)
- This is one of the best answer for the dev/op to fix if you unable to describe all the problem
Do not ask or force the OP/Developers to fix the problem
- No matter what problem you are having,no words such as "Please" fix the problem
- Developers have their own time,they choose to fix what they want,You don't pay for what you download
Take your third party installation problem away
- Let say you have installed a third party mod (Ex: Beats Audio) ,if you encounter any problem please post on the beats audio thread instead
- If You having problem by supercharging or installing any third party patch do take to the particular thread or keep it on your own.
Stop Asking Whether Will This Work Or Not
- Facepalm: Please try it yourself or see over comment by user.
- If you want to know just install and test it yourself
- If you afraid bricking then never go near a development thread.There's always a Risk
Provide logcats whenever possible
- Dmesg using simple terminal emulator
Code: su dmesg >/mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt logcat -d -v time >/mnt/sdcard/logcat.txt
By : --Zackconsole 08:56, 15 October 2012 (CDT)