Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
|Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G|
|Model Number: SGH-T679 (T679M for Bell Mobility)|
The Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G (AKA Exhibit II 4G (codename: Ancora/Ancora_TMO for CM9)) is sold in the United States from T-Mobile on both its contract and Monthly 4G prepaid plans. The Galaxy Exhibit is the successor to the original Samsung Exhibit & is a variant of the Samsung Galaxy W. Under the hood it features a Qualcomm Snapdragon with 512 MB of RAM. The Galaxy Exhibit also features a 3.2 MP camera with LED flash as well as a front facing camera for photos and video chat.
You can root the Samsung Exhibit II using SuperOneClick & ZergRush. This method is reported to stop working after performing an OTA update.
An alternate method of rooting is to flash jocala's custom kernel. Flashing this kernel also installs Superuser, busybox & ClockworkMod. This method works with all firmware versions.
Safe To Remove
- Browser.apk(Only if you use an alternative browser i.e. Opera Mini, Dolphin Browser/HD, Firefox)
- MyFiles.apk(Only if you have an alternative File Browser i.e. Astro File Manager. Note: If you remove MyFiles.apk, you will be getting an error when assigning ringtone using 'Select sound from My files')
- TetheringManager2.apk(Only if you don't use T-Mo's tethering service)
- VideoPlayer.apk(Only if you have an alternative video player i.e. Mx Video Player)
- WiFi-Calling.apk(If you don't use it)
- 411 & More
- Bejeweled 2
- Bonus Apps
- Calculator (you will need to get another one if you use it)
- Home screen tips
- Kies air
- Lookout Anti-Virus
- Media hub
- My Account
- More for Me
- News and Weather widget
- T-Mobile TV HD
- Telenav GPS Navigator
- TwWallpaperChooser (Don't remove if you like those stock wallpaper apps)
- Video Chat
- Visual Voicemail
- Zinio Reader
TWRP touch recovery ported by jfbs HERE
ClockworkMod (by Koush) is an alternate recovery for Android phones. It allows you to make nandroid backups of your Exhibit, as well as offering utilities to troubleshoot problems.
Download standalone ClockworkMod 18.104.22.168 courtesy of cars1189 HERE
CWM 22.214.171.124 is also available as part of jocala's custom kernel 
Both ClockworkMod and the custom kernel/ClockworkMod combo can be flashed from Samsung's stock recovery. If you are flashing from stock, be sure to copy the zip file to your internal sdcard. Samsung's recovery will not detect the external card.
Easy way to start stock recovery
- Pull the battery from your phone.
- Connect phone to your pc via usb.
- Press & hold Volume-up
- Insert battery
Both archives above contain a file called "recovery.img." This recovery.img file is actually a combined kernel and root file system with the program /sbin/recovery being the actual ClockworkMod program. If you like, you can also extract the recovery.img file from either of the two zip archives above and flash via the command line.
(command line can be a rooted adb shell or a rooted terminal on your device)
dd if=./recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
From a rooted terminal, "reboot recovery" to start ClockworkMod. From your computer the command "adb reboot recovery" works too.
To start Recovery (ClockworkMod) from power-off.: Press & hold Vol-Up, then press & hold Power. Shortly after the plain white Samsung logo appears, release both buttons. ClockworkMod should start after the color Samsung/T-Mobile Exhibit II logo.
CWM Keys: Home key = enter Back key = back VolUp/Dwn = highlight choice
Flash Back to Stock
Flash to stock via ClockworkMod
Download uvlg3.flash2.stock.zip - Copy to sdcard. Boot into ClockworkMod. Flash file. That's it, phone is stock. Wipe Data/Cache/Dalvik prior to reboot.
Flash to stock via Odin
Thanks to stubbakatt for the original back to stock directions.
- This works with Windows XP/Vista/7. It also works with Win7 running via VMWare Fusion on Macs running Snow Leopard and Lion.
- Download Odin (Google it) and the stock factory images: uvlg3.odin.zip
- Samsung USB Drivers: click here - if you're rooted/rommed, you probably already have these
- Samsung Drivers for "Download" mode: click here or click here - if phone is not recognized by PC when in Download mode
Odin does not reset /data, so do a factory reset - this will wipe out the /data partition,leaving you ready to flash back to stock. If you don't do a reset, your stock install most likely will not work.
- Make sure the computer recognizes your phone with the drivers above (again, this is probably already the case if you're having to do this!)
- Unzip the uvlg3.odin.zip to wherever you want - preferably somewhere easy to get to (desktop?).
- Power down your phone. Once it's off, hold down the volume-down button and press power. Hold both down until you see the "Warning!!" message with the yellow triangle at the bottom. Once you see that, hit the volume-up button. This puts you into Odin/download mode.
- Plug your phone into your computer.
- Open "Odin Multi Downloader v4.43.exe". Once it opens, the Message window at the bottom left should read "Added!!!" and "Detected!!!".
- Make sure all four of the Options are checked (One Package, Auto Reboot, Protect OPS, Reset Time [mine's set to 300 seconds]). I don't know if this is all necessary, but at the very least One Package and Auto Reboot appear to be.
- On the right side, click the "OPS" button, and select/open the Ancora.ops file.
- At the bottom, click the "One Package" button, and select/open the "T679LG3.tar" file.
- The Message window should do an md5 check and end with "Check MD5... ok". If it doesn't, try redownloading again - don't want to flash a corrupt file!
- If all of that is good to go, then select the "Start" button.
- Your mileage will vary, but it should take around 5 minutes, then the phone reboots itself into recovery mode (the little white box with the progress bar), then about 30 seconds after that and the phone fully reboots. Don't unplug it yet. After a few minutes (actually, the 300 seconds set in the "reset time" in Odin), it will say "Pass!!!" and you're good to go and can unplug the phone.
- You should now have a phone that's identical to when you pulled it out of the box.
swap sd and external_sd
Eriks Pigoznis for the Galaxy W, and jliles @ xda for cm9 on Exhibit II edited vold.fstab to swap sd & external_sd and it works great. The app linked below should work on any stockish Galaxy Exhibit.
SwapSD App For stock ROMs, also tested with RebelROM.
All Exhibit ROMs prior to UVLG3 (current stock) are potentially vulnerable to the USSD exploit -Jocala
See post #1747 for details and test
All ROMs listed require a custom recovery.
Peach Sunrise by jocala - Based on stock UVLG3, it's deodexed, zipaligned, rooted, very lightly themed and uses a custom kernel.
Galaxy ExHibition by camcory - ROM based on Rooted Galaxy Exhibit by Jocala. Themed in an ICS Domination style.
RebelROM by bpear96 - ICS Hybrid
AOSP by Camcory/GalaxyExhibit
JoyOS by Tquetski
Lewa OS by Tquetski
MIUI by Tquetski
CyanogenMod 7 Beta by Tim1928
Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs
CyanogenMod 9 Beta by jocala (discontinued, use Core2idiot's)
CyanogenMod 9 Stable/Nightlies by Core2idiot
Pure Nexus by jeff432 - Custom ROM based on Jocala's CM9.
AOKP Beta by IRX120
RemICS 1.7 by Tquetski
Biohazard by Tquetski
MIUI / MIUI Biohazard by Tquetski
AOSP ICS 4.0.4 by Tim1928
CyanogenMod 10 Beta by camcory
Linaro CM 10 by IRX120
Paranoid Android by camcory
Avatar Rom by Tquetski
PACman ROM by camcory
Slimbean Unofficial by camcory
AOKP by IRX120
MIUI by Tquetski
EHNDROIX II by Tquetski
RemICS 3.0.1 by Tquetski
CNA 4.1.2 by IRX20
Rootbox 4.1.2 by Camcory
AOSP 4.1.2 by Tim1928
JellyBean 4.2 ROMs
CyanogenMod 10.1 Unofficial by cars1189
Rootbox 4.2 by Camcory
Linaro cm 10.1 4.2.2 by Smartguy044
AOKP 4.2.2 by Smartguy044
SlimBean 4.2.2 by Tim1928
Baked Black Bean 8 by Tim1928
JellyBean 4.3 ROMs
CyanogenMod 10.2 Unofficial by cars1189
KitKat 4.4 ROMs
CyanogenMod 11 Unofficial by cars1189
CyanogenMod 11 beta by jfbs
SlimKat 4.4.4 by jfbs
DarkCM 4.4.4 by jfbs
CMCherry-Picked 4.4.1 by ...Awesome...
Stalled / partially working
MIUI by Tim1928
AOKP by KemikalElite
XquiziT by Wildchild (security vulnerabilities)
KEMIUI by KemikalElite
Jocala's Kernel by Jocala [ Fully compatible with stock rom ]
CM9 Kernel by Cars1189
DemonsBlood 3.0 by Tim1928
DemonsBlood by Tim1928
Powered By Evil by Smartguy044