Please remember to add a category to the bottom of each page that you create.
See categories help for further details, but most will probably be [[Category:HTC ModelName]].

Samsung Galaxy S/SGH-I896

From XDA-Developers
Jump to: navigation, search

This template is no longer being used, please update this page to use Template:Device.

Samsung Captivate
Phone
Samsung Captivate.jpg
Model Number: SGH-I896
Specification
Manufacturer: Samsung Samsung-icon.png
Release Date: Oct. 2010
Operating System: Android Android-icon.jpg
Dimensions: 4.18 x 2.5 x 0.39
Weight: 4.5 oz
Chipset: Samsung Exynos 3110
Display: 4.0" WVGA 480x800 SAMOLED+
Networks: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz
Wifi: Not Known
Bluetooth: 3.0
NFC: Not Known
GPS: yes
Video out: Not Known
Camera: 5MP Auto-Focus
Secondary Camera: No
Internal Memory: 512MB RAM, 2GB+16GB NAND
Memory Card: microSD, microSDHC
Battery: 1500 mAh
Additional Features: TV out

A very comprehensive FAQ / wiki is available here http://capfaq.com/w/FAQ

The Samsung Captivate SGH-I896 is the Rogers version of the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. The AT&T version is SGH-I897. More information can be found on the SGH-I897 wiki. The Samsung Captivate (SGH-i897 or SGH-i896) is a Galaxy S Android smartphone released in July 2010. It is currently available in America under AT&T and in Canada under Rogers. The Samsung Captivate has a PowerVR graphics processor yielding 90 million triangles per second, making it the fastest graphics processing unit in any Android phone to date. It was the first Android phone to be certified for DivX HD,[4] and at 9.9 mm it was the thinnest Android phone at the time of release.

Hardware Design

The Captivate has a design that is different from the other Galaxy S phones in that is not a rounded rectangle shape, but rather has a curved top and bottom. The front is Corning supplied Gorilla Glass, while the back and side is plastic. The battery cover is metal, and is easily removed by pulling down the bottom of the phone. The buttons on the bottom are not physical, but still offer tactile feedback if you choose. The power button is on the right side and the volume rocker is on the left. The phone features a 4 inch Super AMOLED Display which is very sharp and saturated (often overly so). It has a 5 megapixel camera without flash.

Captivatepicture.jpg

Software

The phone shipped from stock with Android 2.1 (eclair), but was promised to receive a Froyo (2.2) update. The phone employs the latest proprietary Samsung TouchWiz 3.0 user interface. Unlike TouchWiz 3.0 on the Samsung Wave, it allows up to seven homescreens. However, different from other Android user interfaces, TouchWiz 3.0 allows users to add, delete and rearrange homescreens. The program launcher is also different from other Android user interfaces in that it has an iOS-like program menu which allows customization of shortcuts. In addition, three of the four shortcuts at the bottom of the screen can also be customized. The most important aspect of all three generations of TouchWiz is the widget interface. The most prominent widgets that come with the Captivate are the daily briefing, weather clock and the buddy widget. In addition to Samsung widgets, standard Android widgets can be added and removed from the homescreens. The Captivate comes with support for many multimedia file formats, including audio codecs (FLAC, WAV, Vorbis, MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, MID, AC3, XMF), video codecs (mpeg4, H.264, H.263, Sorenson codec, DivX HD/ XviD, VC-1) and video formats (3GP (MPEG-4), WMV (Advanced Systems Format), AVI (divx), MKV, FLV).

Criticism

Users have complained of issues with obtaining a GPS lock and software issues with the TouchWiz UI, which users complain is slow and unresponsive. Some users report hearing from Samsung that a software fix is currently in the works to improve GPS functionality, and alternate homescreen launchers such as LauncherPro and ADWLauncher reportedly improve UI responsiveness as well as the several custom ROMs available from XDA. Many also criticize Samsung's slow response to problems, often leaving it up to the community to fix serious issues with the phone. Samsung has released a GPS fix that fix the issues for some users.

I would say one other criticism is the lack of a camera flash. While this may seem unimportant, as it isn't a camera, when you are wanting to take a picture -- you better hope it is daytime or there is good lighting.

USB Drivers

- Complete USB Drivers Package & Device Installer for Windows XP/Vista/7 (v5.02.0.2)

- Windows 64-Bit

- Windows 32-Bit

FAQ

There are some questions regarding the Rogers version only which cannot be answered by the AT&T version Wiki Page.

General

Will the AT&T version work on Rogers in Canada?

Yes. They have the same bands so once unlocked, a Rogers SIM would work on an ATT Captivate. (You would have to put the APN settings for 3G) - Details. Note that the phone has been released, so ordering it from AT&T would not be a good option.

Are there any hardware differences in the AT&T and Rogers model?

No. Except for the branding. The software is different in terms of bloatware. AT&T has a lot of bloatware on their phones and Rogers not so much. From the hardware perspective they are the same phone except for the model numbers.

Does the Rogers Captivate have HSUPA enabled?

No. Upload speeds of up to 400 KBPS

Does the GPS work Fine?

Yes. Most of the people have been getting a perfect lock.

Is there any bloatware?

Five good apps. Not loaded with bloatware though. Also, you can remove them from the homescreen so they are not in your face. Rogers On Demand (Good app), Rogers My Account (Excellent App), Ringtones, Shop, urMusic.

Is sideloading apps allowed?

Yes.

Rooting

Can I root the phone?

2.1 Stock and the new Froyo 2.2 can be rooted using SuperOneClick Root 1.7.

LagFix

Can I use a LagFix?

Yes. LagFix has also been achieved on the SGH-I896 using RyanZA(free version) which can be downloaded from the Market on your device. To see the improvements of the lagfix you should download Quadrant Standard(free) from the Market and run it before installing lagfix and then after applying the lagfix.

LagFix options are also built into most custom made kernels found in the Dev fourm. here

Unlocking

Can I unlock it?

Yes. Unfortunately, unlike stock AT&T firmware, Rogers firmware does not contain the unlock code within and all one-click utilities made for AT&T version simply don't work. It is still possible to unlock the phone by rooting it first, and then using steps described in this thread and this site. Note however, these steps require modification of critical system files and could potentially damage your phone. (Please back-up everything before you begin this process, follow each step precisely and do not skip any step). The I896 does remove the unlock and freeze keys from the phone completely as shown in the "nv.log" file. Meaning even after you complete this *ONLY* unlock method, your phone will be unlock, but the codes will not work regardless. Not that you will need them after the unlock anyways, but if you decide to play around too much with the phone and "accidentally" freeze your phone... you're out of luck.

UPDATE: Also with rooting and the App "Galaxy S Unlock" found in the market and here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=906255 you can unlock your phone, as stated above phone does not contain code so simple method doesn't work. Root method required.

If you don't want to risk bricking/freezing/voiding warranty on your phone then Rogers will unlock it for $50.00. If this law is passed (doubtful) Cell Phone Freedom Act (Bill C-343), Rogers will have to unlock it, upon request and only after your contract is fulfilled, for free.

Custom ROMs

Can I use the same Custom ROMS or would the model numbers be have to updated for that as well? More Custom Roms and Kernels here Sure you can... it works. You could optionally change the model in the update-script from SGH-i897 to SGH-i896 (NEEDED: tutorial on how to do that) but nothing seems to be wrong with a ROM that thinks it's installed on a i897. EDIT: Not necessary!!

• Make sure you backup your current ROM.
  • Most i897 ROMs would have only AT&T APNs so to get 3G back, you need to use something like the "APN Backup and Restore" app
    • Backup your APNs using the app on your stock ROM. Keep that backup around, you'll probably need it more than once!
    • Restore those APNs after flashing. Check your 3G data.
    • If you search for "APN Backup Restore" in the Captivate forum threads, you can even find a standard Rogers APN file you can download in case you forgot to backup your stock APNs.

Rogers SGH-I896 STOCK ROMS

[Official Rogers 2.1 Stock ROM] - updated version. Now includes previously missing dbdata file causing mount error after re-partitioning, and will now replace AT&T boot screen if affected. Does not include APN settings. info above. Use APN backup and restore before and after or manually enter settings.

UPDATED:[Rogers 2.2 stock Rom] available - updated version. Now includes previously missing dbdata file causing mount error after re-partitioning, and will now replace AT&T boot screen if affected. Does not include APN settings. info above. Use APN backup and restore before and after or manually enter settings.

UPDATED: [Rogers 2.3.3 Stock Rom] available. Password: sampro.pl

Instructions for getting back to stock. -unzip -Flash .tar file with ODIN3 1.81 in PDA box -Use 512 .pit file with re-partition checked.

Full instructions [here]

Official Android 2.2 Upgrade

Samsung released official instructions for upgrading to Rogers Android 2.2 Froyo using Kies 2.0 on Jan 6 2011. Before the AT&T version.

A clockwork recovery flashable upgrade is available here. To be applied from 2.1 stock rogers.

AT&T ROMS & Odin One Click

Be aware when installing any official AT&T Firmware (2.1 or 2.2) or trying to restore to stock using "ODIN ONE CLICK" restore to stock program. **Not to be confused with "ODIN3 1.7 flashing utility", or confused with "ONE CLICK ROOT"** Flashing AT&T firmware will replace your first bootscreen with an AT&T world phone logo, and trying to recover by any made backup will not fix the issue, as well many of the previous "stock rom images" would not fix the issue either.

There was a "trick" to fix this invoving flashing an i9000 rom, and a params.lfs with a missing file and then using adb to push a customized version of the missing ATnT_logo.jpg file. http://bit.ly/kIneQQ OR IF ON ROGERS Gingerbread Bootloaders just odin flash this stock gingerbread params.lfs tar to fix. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J8L6H5ME

UPDATE: there is now a FULL real fix for the AT&T bootlogo here. The post contains full instructions to remove the logo. It involves flashing the *UPDATED* full 2.1 or 2.2 rogers stock roms posted above.