SE Xperia Play
|SE Xperia Play|
There are different Version of the Xperia Play:
- GSM Version (3G, Europe)
- CDMA Version (4G, Verizone, USA)
The Xperia Play comes in 4 colours, Black, White, Stealth Blue (for Play 4G), Orange
Guides and Tutorials
- What is rooting?
By rooting we general speak of gaining access to the root user on your device. The root user is the user with the highest rights (e.g. administrator) at your phone. Rooting is done by injecting the needed files to be able to switch to root rights. Therefor the common program su (substitute user) is used.
- What are the downsides?
With rooting you generally void your warranty with most networks. But since root can be removed later (un-root) and nobody can tell if a phone ever was rooted you just can revert your phone to original state before sending it in.
- How can it be done?
- How to un-root?
- Use the un-root function of the SuperOneClick if you used it for rooting.
- Recover your Phone by using the recover function of SE PC Companion
CMW (Clockwork Mod)
- Waht is it good for?
Clockwork Mod is a recovery environment. It lets you do many things starting with doing a system backup, recover later, flashing mods,...
- Where can i get it?
- Why do i need an unlocked Bootloader?
An unlocked Bootloader gives you the ability to flash custom kernels and roms. This gives you the ability to great modifications to they whole system.
- Can every Play be unlocked?
There are some devices wich can be unlocked with the official SE method. For checking if your Phone can be unlocked please refer to the official guide. incomplete e.g. CDMA version
- Is there any disadvantage?
Unlocking your bootloader voids your warrenty!!! So be sure what u do. This CAN'T be undone (Sony Ericson will always know that u unlocked your device)
As the Xperia Play is a gaming device u propably will install MANY apps and games on it - since the internal memory is quite limited there are several methods to "extend":
- install apps to sd card using the native APP2SD function of Gingerbread (recommended)
- gain root -> uninstall stock apps with titanium backup (for a list of app wich are safe to remove refer to App Removal (Safe List) ) (recommended)
- using Darktremor App2SD scripts for completely moving apps to SD (Clockwork Mod needed)
- Increase you app storage from 380MB to 420MB!!! (needs unlocked Bootloader)
- Link2SD App - a nice guide can be found here (recommended)
- set installLocation 2 explanation missing
- use Titanium Backup for including updates into system (-> batch processing) (needs PRO version)
Xperia Tweak Tool
Since we don't have a kernel module for overclocking a custom kernel is needed (needs unlocked BL) Afterwards frequencies can be set with tools like:
Your also can install a custom ROM wich already has OC build in.
CPU Governors / Undervoling
- CPU Governors:
are responsible for the scaling of the CPU frequency. Wich governors are available depends on the installed kernel on your phone. They can be set up by the tool mentioned in OC section.
Undervolting is an attempt to save battery by lowering the CPU voltage for given frequencies. The voltages are either hardcoded in kernel or can be set with the tools mentioned in OC section.
- disable wakup at home button
- Tutorial Fix R800X UK nandroid Back,Home,Menu, and Search buttons
Applications & Games
- Yongzh's Emulators: Nes, Snes, GB, GBA, GBC, Sega Genesis, Sega GameGear, Atari, ... (all but the N64 are free) (recommended)
- Mupen64 (free opensource N64 emulator)
- Tiger Emulators (good MAME emulator)
- PSXperia (converting PSX images to Xperia Play APKs) (guide)
- Change Shoulder Buttons (PLAY) (app for assigning the shoulderbuttons L1/R1 for different functions)
- Dock Nothingness for removing the autostart of the docking station app
- Why do I need another rom?
Another ROM gives you the ability to a complete new look and feel as well as updated kernels and apps. Even ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- What are downsides?
Beware not each ROM supports the Xperia Play Keys. Each Rom has different functions and abilities - for propper descriptions please read the instructions in the ROM Threads.
- Where to get some?
- Special Roms
Darkforest ROM (for CDMA + GSM, no BL unlock needed)
- When will we see official ICS on our device?
Press release has stated we will get it late March, early April 2012
- Accessing the Service Menu
In your phone, open the dialer and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.
- Phone Specifications
- How long does the Battery last and how can I extend battery life?
Sony stated... Stand-by-Up to 425 h (2G) / Up to 413 h (3G). Talk time - Up to 8 h 25 min (2G) / Up to 6 h 25 min (3G). Music play - Up to 31 h. However the actual results vary, as it's all dependent on what you have open on the phone. There are extended 3600mAh batteries (but the device will get much thicker, which a lot of people prefer) or can try to tweak your Xperia (under-volt,...). For tweaking please refer to the section.
- Do i need a SIM card to play games on the Xperia Play?
No - however you will need one for gaining access to the markets
- I heard about swype being in our rom?
There is a swype like function - at least inb 2.3.4 ROMs - wich can be activated through: Settings > Language & Keyboard > International Keyboard > Text input settings -> activate swype
Infromation to be extracted
- XDA Xperia PLay Forum
- Xperia Play Android Development
- Rooted (Locked Bootloader) Phone - App Removal (Safe List)
- Increase you app storage from 380MB to 420MB!!!
- App Removal (Safe List)
- ***COMPLETE*** List of Xperia PLAY Games!
- Official Full Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Specifications
- Supercharger Scripts
- Xperia Tweak Tool
- Darktremor App2SD scripts
- set installLocation 2
- Xperia Play Super-Compilation (root, BL unlock, ROMs, tweaks)
- [GUIDE R800x owners - You got Custom ROM questions? I've got Answers!]
- PSXperia guide