Please remember to add a category to the bottom of each page that you create.
See categories help for further details, but most will probably be [[Category:HTC ModelName]].

Samsung Galaxy S/SGH-T959V

From XDA-Developers
Jump to: navigation, search

This template is no longer being used, please update this page to use Template:Device.

Samsung Galaxy S 4G
Phone
Samsung Galaxy S 4G.jpg
Model Number: SGH-T959V
Specification
Manufacturer: Samsung Samsung-icon.png
Release Date: Feb. 2011
Operating System: Android Android-icon.jpg
Dimensions: 122.4mm (4.82") x 64.5mm (2.54") x 10mm (0.39")
Weight: 4.16 oz
Chipset: Samsung Exynos 3110
Display: 4.0" WVGA 480x800 SAMOLED+
Networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS1700, UMTS1900, UMTS2100,
Wifi: 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz
Bluetooth: 3.0
NFC: Not Known
GPS: Yes
Video out: Not Known
Camera: 5.0 MP auto-focus
Secondary Camera: VGA
Internal Memory: 512RAM, 1GB NAND
Memory Card: microSD, microSDHC
Battery: 1650 mAh
Additional Features: FM tuner (disabled in firmware)

Introduction

What's in a name?

Although this device was officially released as the Galaxy S 4G, it is sometimes referred to (by users) as:

• the Vibrant 4G, or
  • the Vibrant Plus

because T-Mobile had released a previous phone (the Vibrant) in the Galaxy S series.

The model number for this device is SGH-T959V. This model number is similar to that of the Vibrant (which does not have the 'V' suffix1), leading some users to confuse this device with that one.

I have a question. How do I proceed?

Excellent question! Follow these simple steps...

1. First, review this wiki
  2. Next, review the Galaxy S Series wiki2 (to which the 4G belongs)
  3. Search the forums
  4. Check out a team dedicated to the device3
  5. Send a message to others who own3 this device
  6. Start a thread in the Q&A Sub-Forum.

Remember, tread lightly and carry a killer phone! Whatever you do, do not get yourself categorized into the Some People Shouldn't Be Allowed to Own Cell Phones and Try to Mod Them category! Your actions determine how other forum (and wiki) colleagues judge you. The more you invest into your research, the more eager others will be to assist you! Don't become an ostrich! (i.e., don't become ostracized!)

The first 3 steps above will lead you to a solution most of the time. Only rely on the last 3 steps once you have exhausted the first three.

Buzz Words

What is rooting? What is ext2/ext3/ext4?

The Official XDA Support thread for Android Phones contains basic definitions for these and other buzz words. These terms are not specific to this device. On the primary xda-dev wiki page, you will find an excellent acronyms page, a glossary page, and a FAQ.

Forums

Within the sub-forums, you will find a large source of guides, ROMs, mods, and themes for this device.

Threads of special interest are "stickied" (Pin.png) and "locked" (Thread hot lock.png). Being "stickied" means that they appear at the top of the list; being "locked" means that there is no further discussion permitted concerning the topic.

Be sure to read The Forum Rules and New Members-Guide/Tour: Get the most out of XDA!!. Also, you may be interested in the Ten Commandments for participating in the Galaxy S 4G Forums. Specific threads from the Forums which others have determined may be useful are listed in the Resources section below.

Please use due diligence when posting in the forums. The following table identifies the purpose for which each forum has been created. For entertainment (and education), you may wish to watch this short movie entitled, "Posting and You."

Galaxy S 4G Sub-forums
FORUM PURPOSE
Galaxy S 4G General Discussion about T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4G (general chat, tips & tricks, etc)
Galaxy S 4G Q&A For all of your questions relating to the Samsung Galaxy S 4G
Galaxy S 4G Accessories Accessories for the T-Mobile Galaxy S 4G (cases, screen protectors, batteries, etc)
Galaxy S 4G Android Development Android development for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4G
Galaxy S 4G Themes and Apps Themes and applications for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4G

Section Notes

1That's right, the Vibrant does not have a "V" in its model number!

2Especially useful for things which are not specific to the 4G. For example: How do I make modifications to my device? What secret codes have been leaked? What Hardware powers this device?

3See the "Teams & Social Groups" section, below.

FAQ (with answers)

NOTE for Windows fans: Before doing anything with this phone, make sure you have the correct drivers installed.

QUESTION ANSWER
What is SIM Unlocking? Detailed Answer
What is Rooting? Detailed Answer
What is Download Mode? Detailed Answer
What is ClockworkMod? Detailed Answer
How do I install a ROM? Detailed Answer
What ROM should I flash? List of Custom ROMs
How do I flash a modem? Detailed Answer
How do I flash a kernel? Detailed Answer
How do I make/restore a Nandroid Backup? Detailed Answer

Resources

Other resources within this wiki
The 10 Commandments For The SGS4G Forum - droidmyst
Resources from the Samsung Galaxy S 4G Forum
Welcome To The Galaxy S 4G Forums - lufc
This phone is NOT the Vibrant or any other Galaxy... it's the Galaxy S 4G - airfluip1
SGS4G Bible - golmar88
Don't use rom manager aka rom mangler!!! Thanks management!!! - RaverX3X
Resources external to xda-dev
Android and Me
Android Advices
Galaxy S Manufacturer's Reference
Redmond Pie
Samsung
Samsung Exynos Processors

Teams and Social Groups

Series Information