Please remember to add a category to the bottom of each page that you create.
See categories help for further details, but most will probably be [[Category:HTC ModelName]].

Samsung Galaxy S II

From XDA-Developers
Revision as of 10:52, 4 March 2012 by Ggravier (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
Samsung Galaxy S II Series
{{{sortname}}}
Samsung Galaxy S II Series.jpg
Model Number: See Page
Specification
Device Type: Phone
Manufacturer: Samsung Samsung-icon.png
Release Date: May 2011
Operating System: Android Android-icon.jpg
Dimensions: Varies
Weight: Varies
Chipset: Samsung Exynos 4210 1.2GHz
Display: 4.3" WVGA 480x800 SAMOLED+
Networks: Varies
Wifi: Not Known
Bluetooth: 3.0
NFC: Not Known
GPS: Yes
Video out: Not Known
Camera: 8.0 MP LED flash
Secondary Camera: 2 MP
Internal Memory: Varies
Memory Card: microSD, microSDHC, TransFlash, SDIO
Battery: 1650 mAh
Additional Features: Varies

General Reference

Galaxy S II Variants

• i9100: UK model, 1.2 GHz processor, no NFC.
  • i9103: 1.0 GHz processor, NFC?
  • SGH-T989: T-Mobile USA, 1.5 GHz processor, NFC

Software Tools

• Samsung KIES. This is a desktop application made by Samsung that provides a basic and straightforward way to: backup data; upgrade the Android OS (aka "firmware" or "ROM"); synchronise contacts, events, etc.
  • CheckFusDownloader. Check whether new firmware is available on the Samsung Servers.
  • Odin (Download from attachment in GUIDE - And then there was ROOT !). Change or upgrade firmware or the kernel.
  • SuperOneClick. Root and Unroot a phone (after an insecure kernel has been installed).

Product Code / HIDSWVER (pda/csc/phone/kernel) List

For reference. Useful for Kies, Check Fus Downloader, Odin, etc.

See also Samsung Letter Codes.

How To

Obtain System Information

Information Location Example
Model Number Settings > About > Model Number GT-I9100
Android Version Settings > About > Android Version 2.3.3
Product Code Keypad > *2767*4387264636# GT-I9100LKACOA
Firmware Versions Keypad > *#1234#
   PDA: I9100XWKE2
   PHONE: I900XXKDJ 
   CSC: I900OXFKD4  
Kernel Version Setting > About > Kernel Version
   2.6.35.7-I9100XWKE2-CL187606
   root@DELL101 #2

Backup

Enter Modes

Recovery Mode

This is how to put you Galaxy S II into Recovery Mode:

1. Turn off your Galaxy S II phone.
  2. Now hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons of your Galaxy S2 smartphone until the Samsung logo comes up.
  3. When you see the Samsung logo; quickly release the buttons for half a second and then hold them again.

Now your Galaxy S II will boot into its Recovery mode. Use the volume keys to navigate and the home button to make your selection.

Download Mode

To put your Galaxy S II in Download mode:

1. Put your device in "USB debugging mode" : Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
  2. Turn off phone completely
  3. Hold down Power Button + Down Volume + Home Button at the same time

It will then power on into download mode.

To get out of download mode without flashing anything, keep the Power Button pressed for about 5 seconds, the phone should shutdown.

Grant Elevated Permissions to Applications (Rooting)

Rooting Concepts

What is rooting? Rooting grants elevated permissions to applications.

Why root? Most applications don't need these elevated permissions. A typical user can get by using these applications and therefore can get by without rooting. However, many desirable features are available to applications that need these elevated "root" permissions. This includes such things as: comprehensive backups; synchronising your clock; using applications to manage the installation of custom OS (aka "Firmware" or "ROM").

You don't need to root to change or update your OS/Firmware/ROM. You can update your OS/Firmware/ROM without rooting.

For further details see Droid Lessions > What is Rooting on Android? The Advantages and Disadvantages.

How do I root?

Choose one of these rooting procedures:

• CF-Root (by ChainFire): In brief this involves installing a kernel from an original Samsung firmware, modified to include root, busybox, and a custom ClockWorkMod (CWM4) Recovery. ClockworkMod Recovery replaces original functionality when you boot into recovery mode. This custom ClockWorkMod is incompatible with ROM Manager, so if you want to use ROM Manager don't use this method. In full: 08.10.2011 - CF-Root v4.3 - KE*, KF*, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3/4, KI2/3/4/8 - su+bb+CWM4
  • Root Only: In brief it involves temporarily installing, or "flashing", an insecure kernel (a core part of the OS/Firmware/ROM). Then you issue commands to root the device and install Superuser (This manages applications that request root access). Those last steps can be automated with a single click using a GUI Desktop application like SuperOneClick or S2 Root. You then, optionally, you re-intstall an original and secure kernel. Before using one of the following guides download an insecure and secure kernel relative to your current firmware from KERNEL - Insecure Kernels for use with rooting

Change the OS (Change or update the firmware or "ROM")

You have the following options for changing your OS/Firmware/ROM.:

Factory Reset

1. Put your phone into Recovery Mode.
  2. Execute the Factory Reset option.

Accessories

Batteries/Chargers

Many options available. In black or in white. Default capacity or extended capacity.

One excellent (comes with a special back replacement) high capacity battery is the 3200mA/h from BatteryUpgrade.com : [1]

Note that with extended capacity batteries, the phone's shape changes (due to specific back replacements), so standard protection cases don't work any more.

Screen protectors

Cases & Pouches

MHL cable

The SGS2 is one of the first phones to use "MHL", which allows HDMI output (1080p in this case) through the micro-USB connector. You need a special MHL cable, which are hard to get.

On future MHL-compliant TVs, the TV will also charge the phone, while it is playing video, so you won't need to worry about running out of battery during a film.

Development

See Samsung Galaxy S II Development for detailed information about the hardware, drivers, compiling kernels, CM and so on.

FAQ

Links

Samsung Kies

Current version: [2]

Official page with download link: http://www.samsungapps.com/about/onPc.as