Samsung Galaxy S
|Samsung Galaxy S|
|Model Number: See Page|
- 1 Galaxy S Variants
- 2 Recovery Mode
- 3 Bricked Screen
- 4 Download Mode
- 5 Recover & Download Mode Warning
- 6 Hardware
- 7 Accessories
- 8 FAQ
- 8.1 Samsung Kies
- 8.2 Samsung New PC Studio
- 8.3 General Usage
- 9 Modifications
- 10 Good Forum Topic Index
- 11 Build-in Features
- 12 Troubleshooting
Galaxy S Variants
GT-I9000M Vibrant: Bell
GT-I9000T Latin America:
SC-02B Japan: NTTDocomo
SCH-I500 Fascinate: Verizon
SGH-I897 Captivate: AT&T
SGH-I896 Captivate: Rogers
SGH-T959 Vibrant: T-Mobile
SHW-M110S Korea: Anycall
SPH-D700 Epic 4G: Sprint
|Variant||Model #||Country||UMTS 850 (V)||UMTS 900 (VIII)||UMTS 1700 (IV/AWS)||UMTS 1900 (II)||UMTS 2100 (I)||CDMA||WIMAX||Front Camera||Camera Flash||Keyboard||4-Way Button||Search Button||Oneseg TV|
If it was done properly you should see a screen with several options
(A.K.A. phone-!-pc or Black Screen of Death)
For reference, this is what a bricked Samsung Galaxy S looks like. To recover from this problem, you'll need to get into the Download Mode.
A fully bricked phone (as shown on the screenshot) will not boot, or display the charging logo when connected to a USB charger. This presently cannot be recovered from any recovery attempt, it will require the phone to be sent back to Samsung and be serviced.
This screen does not always mean your phone is bricked. If you have a hardware locked vibrant, maybe, however, if your phone is not hardware locked, unplug the USB cable from the phone, Hold down Vol UP+Vol Down+Power, the screen will flash black, continue holding down all 3 buttons, you will see the "phone--!--PC" screen again, continue holding all 3 buttons, the screen will flash black again, release the power button only. This will put you into Download Mode.
This mode is mainly used to install new ROM or custom ROM firmwares.
To enter download mode, you hold the Volume Down + Home + Power
If it was done properly you should see a screen with a big yellow triangle and the Android robot working on construction in less than 1 second.
How to get into recovery or download mode
Recover & Download Mode Warning
There have been many reports about a problematic batch of Galaxy S phones that are not able to reach recovery/download mode. If you are going to flash / change roms / Do any customization - Make sure you can reach these modes before doing ANYTHING.
Update A Fix is available to fix the broken SPL problem causing the 3 button disabled on some phones.
Check out the topic for details; How to install the Download/Recovery Mode fix (3 Button Disabled SPL fix) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=785201
How To: Check Which 3G Frequency my SGS is using?
On the phone Dial Pad you run *#0011# then, you should see the 3G bands, for example a 850 and 1900 would look like this, if you are on 1700 or 2100 it will be replaced with the proper bands.
For those trying to Flash a modem file from NAM ROM to Euro ROM and vice versa this is a good way to find out if your phone really contains the hardware or not.
Tear-down analysis here shows KLM8G4DEDD Samsung chip to be used for the memory (8GB model).
From part number decoder document here, the part appears to be memory (K), with contoller (L), moviNAND (M), 8G = 8GB, Nand4 + microcontroller (4), MLC (D), 3.3VCC (E), S3C49VDX01 controller (D), 5th generation (D).
JTAG / UART
Flip the PCB around so that the battery connector is on the right side. Look at the very right (low) edge of the PCB.
Just above the hole (a bit to the left) you see a vertical row of five (rectangle) contacts. From up to down:
A bit to the left there is a horizontal row of three (rectangle) contacts: From left to right:
A bit above the previous trio there is two (round) contacts: From left to right:
- AP_RXD (RxD of the Application Processor)
- AP_TXD (TxD of the Application Processor)
- If you have a spare iPod cable (it is even cheaper here) and you don't mind soldering two wires, open the triangular box in the middle of the cable and swap the video (yellow) and ground (brown) wires coming from the 3.5mm jack (requires soldering).
Current version: 126.96.36.19903_100_2
Official page with download link: http://www.samsungmobile.co.uk/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-support
Error pop up
Uninstall Kies, then delete the directory C:\Program Files\Samsung\Kies
Installing firmware for different country
Sometimes you may want to install firmware released for different country than one your phone accepts. This is mostly wanted by people who want to perform debranding or want to install newest firmware that is not yet available for their country. It's common that updates for branded phones in less important countries are released with delays.
Using reg hack
This well known method was possible to use with Kies up to version 188.8.131.5293_82. Starting with 184.108.40.20603.100 Kies checks for device firmware on every firmware update operation start and overwrites hacked values in register. So if you are going to use this method, make sure you use Kies version 220.127.116.1193_82.
- Download and install Kies in version 18.104.22.16893_82
- Start Kies (to let it create all it's register entires)
- Close Kies
- Open regedit and select HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies in left tree-list
- Double click LocalVer in right list and change it's value to "22.214.171.12403.100". This step is needed, because Samsung servers refuse to talk with older Kies versions
- Start Kies
- Connect your phone if you didn't
- Click firmware upgrade icon
- Close recently-opened window
- Open regedit and try selecting every folder in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Samsung/Kies/DeviceDB/ until you find the one with "ProductCode", "SoftwareRevision" and "HIDSWVER"
- Modify "ProductCode", "SoftwareRevision" and "HIDSWVER" to match country you want firmware from. Modification of "SoftwareRevision" is probably not needed.
- Click firmware upgrade icon again
After there steps Kies should offer you firmware upgrade from typed country code.
Using Test mode
In older versions it was possible to enter Testing Mode by pressing Ctrl + Alt + U + P' (left Ctrl and left Alt) in firmware update screen dialog. This trick was known to work in Kies 126.96.36.19972_3_1.
There were some single reports of successful running Test Mode in newer version of Kies by creating registry key HKCU\Software\Samsung\FUS\FUS_TEST. This is not sure in which version exactly this trick worked.
Currently this is probably not possible to enter Test Mode anymore.
Product Codes to use with Kies
|I9000||U.K.||Car Phone Warehouse||GT-I9000HKDCPW|
Historical/current Firmware versions for Product Codes
This list can be useful if you are going to upgrade your firmware using some other Product Code. In such case you have to modify system register with alternative Product Code and some firmware version that was released for chosen Product Code.
|Product Code||Firmware versions|
How To Find Product Codes?
To find the ProductCode,
then go to
and find the lines that says
"ProductCode"="your phone model type"
note: the # can actually be any number from 1,2,3,4,....
Enter *2767*4387264636# in your dialer.
Then there will be a line that says:
 PCode:"your phone model type"
Samsung New PC Studio
Current version: 1.40 IL2
Upcoming version: 188.8.131.5264_2
Where can I download the latest version?
Feature wise it's nearly identical to Kies, but something that makes it different from Kies, is the new feature to perform an Emergency Recovery presumably it will restore your phone back to factory default.
Connecting to PC
Connecting to a PC for file system access requires choosing "Mass storage" option under "Settings"->"About phone"->"USB settings".
After connecting to a PC, open the notification bar and tap "Turn on USB storage", then choose "Mount" in the displayed form.
Note for Linux users: The kernel must be built with USB mass storage and SCSI support. In addition, "Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device" kernel configuration option must be turned on (CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y)- required
to be able to see both external and internal SD cards.
Samsung Galaxy S drivers for those not wishing to install Kies
Unlike other Android devices, Samsung phones do not use "fastboot" for flashing new ROMs. Instead "Odin" application must be used. A good video guide to flashing Samsung Galaxy S with Odin is here.
Firmware images contain FS images per-partition + zImage (kernel).
One interested in extracting initramfs from the original image kernel can use this utility.
based on XXJF5 stock 2.1#1
|bml1||256 KB||contains boot.bin (262144 bytes), Primary Boot Loader (low-level hardware initialization)|
|bml2||256 KB||contains PIT file first 512 bytes|
|bml3||10240 KB||/dev/block/stl3 /efs|
|bml4||1280 KB||contains Sbl.bin (1310720 bytes) Secondary Boot Loader (loads the Linux kernel and passes the necessary arguments)|
|bml5||1280 KB||contains Secondary Boot Loader (for recovery, ect)|
|bml6||5120 KB||param.lfs /mnt/.lfs j4fs|
|bml7||7680 KB||contains zImage and initramfs|
|bml8||7680 KB||empty - on Epic 4G, contains recovery.bin|
|bml9||293376 KB||factoryfs.rfs ( /system RFS Partition) /dev/block/stl9|
|bml10||137216 KB||dbdata.rfs ( /dbdata RFS Partition) /dev/block/stl10|
|bml11||35840 KB||cache.rfs ( /cache RFS Partition) /dev/block/stl11|
Good Forum Topic Index
- The Mother of All [HOWTO] [REF] [FAQ] [Guides] [Tutorials] Flash/Root/ADB/ROM [MUST READ!]
- [HOWTO] compare two Firmwares via Change log]
- [HOWTO] unlock all SGS
- [HOWTO] install the Download/Recovery Mode fix (3 Button Disabled SPL fix)
- [HOWTO] spot fake battery vs. OEM battery
- [HOWTO] really [Troubleshoot] SGS issues
- [HOWTO] Convert videos for Samsung Galaxy S using Handbreak.
- [HOWTO] (un)root your SGS I9000 the easy way (keep all your data) (Eclair 2.1)
- [HOWTO] Android Market Enabler, Paid Apps, Every Country
- [HOWTO] play online live radio streams (*.ram, *.asf, *.asx)
- [HOWTO] Fix Android Market Unsuccessful Download Problem
- [HOWTO] [REF] Make your own homed made JIG cable for phones without 3-button combo
- [HOWTO] Clear Previous Market Search?
- [Troubleshoot Discussion] all SGS WiFi problems here!
- [Troubleshoot Discussion] all Android Market problems here!
- [Troubleshoot Discussion] SGS FM Radio issues, Stereo fix
- Why my Galaxy S locks up?! (Comatose Syndrome on going investigation)
OTHER info & hot discussion
- Night Mode Photo Samples & Reviews
- SGS i9000 Secret Codes
- A maintained & up to date List of Good Apps for SGS
- Reset battery stats (battery status bug)
- Parts Inside Galaxy S
- Samsung letter codes to check firmware compatibility
- [CF-Root v1.2] JPH JPK JP6 JPM JPA - superuser+busybox+2e, ClockWork Mod compatible!
- [RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Galaxy S i9000 (FINAL! SAFE!)
- [Discussion] GPS Problems, Lock speed, Accuracy, Fixes - The Poll
- SGS ad-hoc WiFi support (wpa_supplicant patch)
- [REF] Hidden features of the Galaxy S
- [Guide] I9000 Screen Replacement
- [APP] Script for checking Kies firmware updates
Samsung Galaxy S reviews & Comparisons
- Galaxy S Drop Test & Scratch Test
- Galaxy S vs HTC Desire - 3D Games
- Galaxy S vs HTC Desire - Stock Apps
- Galaxy S vs Sony X10 vs HTC Desire - Screen Quality
note: these codes should activate automatically after the last character input*
|*#06#||view IMEI number|
|*#0011#||service mode signal status|
|*#1234#||display phones current firmware|
|*#*#4636#*#*||battery and other general settings like GSM/CDMA|
|*#*#7594#*#*||change the "Power" button action in your phone.|
|*#*#7780#*#*||Factory data soft reset|
|*#*#8255#*#*||Gtalk service monitor|
|*#*#273283*255*663282*#*#*||Opens a File copy screen where you can backup your media files|
|*#*#197328640#*#*||service mode main menu|
|*2767*3855#||Factory Hard Reset to ROM firmware default settings|
|empty line||empty line|
note: after entering the codes you need to hit the Dial button
|*#123#||it tells you if you are within your local area or roaming|
|*124#||balance check (only works for phone carriers that enables this service, else you get UNKNOWN APPLICATION message)|
|empty line||empty line|
SMS Time Stamp Fix
go to this topic and install the fix http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7933771&postcount=15
Error initializing Wifi scan
Symptom: trying to enable wifi shows scan initialization error message.
Solution: Requires root. Remove /data/wifi/bcm_supp.conf - the file contains wifi access points definitions and will be regenerated. You'll need to re-enter pin codes for known networks.
GPS lock problems
Galaxy S series phones suffer from reportedly bad GPS hardware/software behavior (slow lock, loosing lock and inaccurate/changing location).
So far there appears to be no single solution. Forum responses suggest that better results are achieved when installing the GPS drivers from JM9 firmware (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831725) together with tweaking the GPS settings (*#*#1472365#*#*) to Standalone + "Hot Start" + "Automatic" in SUPL settings.
A good post on the topic with detailed info regarding SGS GPS settings is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=842694