Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,594 Members 38,967 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I can not switch between my two video cards in windows 8.1.

Tip us?

Ragnarox97
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation I can not switch between my two video cards in windows 8.1.

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 6c80el that mounts two video cards: an Intel 3000 graphics and a dedicated AMD 7690M XT 2GB . I installed Windows 8.1 and I can not configure the video card to use for each application as I did before with 7. Now with 8.1 when I click with the right button on the desktop and then I click on my switchable graphics cards comes out HydraGrid in the catalyst control center, which has nothing to do. How do I fix this? Using 3D modeling programs like 3dsmax that I run with the intel and work is impossible.
I'm afraid that Windows 8.1 does not support double graphics cards, is that it? Is there a way to solve?

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
Have you tried installing the OEM drivers and software for your computer? Win8.x should handle Win7 drivers just fine. OEMs (like HP) pre-configure a bunch of software in their Windows images, and when you install a new version you lose a lot of that. You can usually get it back by installing the stuff from the OEM's website, though.

Alternatively, it's probably possible (in the BIOS/UEFI if nowhere else) to disable one GPU in favor of the other. Turning off the Intel graphics entirely will cost a bit of battery life, but will mean that the more powerful chip is always used and therefore you'll be able to run graphics-intensive software.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Ragnarox97
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the reply but more or less I was able to solve this way:
I uninstalled drivers and software driver from Device Manager, and then I did a clean with driver sweeper. After that I rebooted and installed the drivers offered by HP (not those of AMD) and so it seems to have solved. I can configure the graphics chip to use for each application; sometimes throws a tantrum when I open the catalyst control center, but I'm happy that it works and is able to use to the maximum the pc.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
Glad to hear it. Yeah, you can get better performance if you use the newest AMD drivers, but for weird integrated hardware like a lot of laptops have, you should get your drivers from the laptop OEM unless you're just going to run exclusively on one graphics card or the other.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Ragnarox97
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I tried installing the latest drivers from AMD website (if I'm not mistaken are the 14.4 version and then there is 14.6 which is in beta). The problem is that by installing the official drivers AMD, you do the example of 14.4, after installation if I go into device management I recognize my video card like an AMD Radeon 6700m series; and at that point I can not change most video cards because as I wrote at the beginning of the window appears to me HydraGrid. The only way to be able to smoothly changing video adapters is to make it clear to Windows 8.1 that I have a 7690M XT and not a 6700m Series. Then I'm going to also include information about OEM drivers. Thank you