Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Surface Pro for Gaming - What have you installed? Issues?

OP Talderon

10th February 2013, 11:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 120

1,144 posts
Donate to Me
More
I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

I installed and played Path of Exile as well. Needed a little bit more tweaking of the graphics settings, but over all did REALLY well.

Now, the mouse/touch issue. It has to do with Scaling. By default, the scaling is set to 150%, you need to set it to 100%. Having it at 100% will fix your gaming issues, but will make the desktop ALMOST unusable because of the size of the text. 1920x1080 on that small of a screen, text tends to be VERY small.

So, best thing to do if you want to game and have issues where you need to adjust the scaling, be prepared to tweak it.

To tweak the Scaling:

In desktop, right click on the screen, go to Personalize, Display. It is the percentage at the top. It should have "Larger 150%" selected, choose 100%. You will have to log out to apply.
The Following User Says Thank You to Talderon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th February 2013, 01:49 AM   |  #2  
Re: Surface Pro for Gaming - What have you installed? Issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talderon

I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

I installed and played Path of Exile as well. Needed a little bit more tweaking of the graphics settings, but over all did REALLY well.

Now, the mouse/touch issue. It has to do with Scaling. By default, the scaling is set to 150%, you need to set it to 100%. Having it at 100% will fix your gaming issues, but will make the desktop ALMOST unusable because of the size of the text. 1920x1080 on that small of a screen, text tends to be VERY small.

So, best thing to do if you want to game and have issues where you need to adjust the scaling, be prepared to tweak it.

To tweak the Scaling:

In desktop, right click on the screen, go to Personalize, Display. It is the percentage at the top. It should have "Larger 150%" selected, choose 100%. You will have to log out to apply.

Have downloaded steam and played Far Cry 3 and Team Fortress 2. Its really smooth! Downside is that it takes a lot of memory ): I'm using a type cover since touch cover is a little bit hard to get used too. I recommend getting a external drive for those big games.

Sent from my CM10 Blaze
The Following User Says Thank You to xWolf13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th February 2013, 09:02 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 41

265 posts
I downloaded Warcraft 3 and skyrim.. WC runs everything on max and 1080 with no problem. Skyrim runs at 768p everything turned down fairly well, would say 40 fps+.

As for old times sake I'm going to install anarchy online within the next day or so, which won't tax the system at all.

Btw I scored 7288 on geek bench!
The Following User Says Thank You to xartic12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2013, 03:29 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

39 posts
world of warcraft, diablo 3, path of exile, starcraft 2 and eve online running no problem but ofcourse i have to remove one of each coz they wont fit
17th February 2013, 10:48 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,620 posts
Has anyone recorded and frame rates for minecraft at various settings? Would certainly trump the iOS and android guys with their little pocket edition.

As for no storage. MicroSD or an external hard drive.
18th February 2013, 10:58 PM   |  #6  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 50

2,689 posts
More
Too bad it gets really hot sometimes :S

I have the following running: League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2.
I hated the scaling, so I am sitting at 100% scaling and I don't mind the small icons and whatnot, but almost every app (not metro) has ability to zoom so np for me there.
19th February 2013, 10:31 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 19

159 posts
Don't bother with changing the desktop scaling to 100% if you don't want to. Just right click on the shortcut, go to compatibility, and check "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" for each game that you need 100% scaling for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhoff80 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2013, 12:45 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 305

923 posts
Anyone try Halo?

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
20th February 2013, 01:13 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,788

5,870 posts
More
What, the original one? It'll completely crush that.
20th February 2013, 02:09 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddomarc

world of warcraft, diablo 3, path of exile, starcraft 2 and eve online running no problem but ofcourse i have to remove one of each coz they wont fit

How did WoW run?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread