Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,117 Members 47,270 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Microsoft Surface Pro sound way to quiet

Tip us?

Hardcore73
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Default Microsoft Surface Pro sound way to quiet

Out of all my devices that I have and have used my Surface Pro has the most quiet external speakers of them all.

Try to play a Netflix movie or show and have anything else going on around you and you won't even be able to hear it.

It's great with head phones on but I use this all the time for watching shows and movies while working out. Its so quiet I have to use headphones when I am on the treadmill or I cannot hear it playing while the treadmill is on.

I hope Microsoft addresses this on the next model.

Love my Surface Pro, it is by far the best device I have used so I can easily live with the sound issue.

If your are thinking about buying it, stop reading this, go to a store or order from their site and get one NOW.

I own a network technology company and handle IT support for a lot of companies and I can do everything on this (using it to type right now) that I could do with a full blown PC setup. I have also owned every tablet, laptop, and device that has ever come out so trust me when I say it is great.

This unit has replaced my Lenovo Yoga 13, and my Samsung Ativ 500 and 700 with no issues. I have also had every Samsung and Asus tablet and this is a bad boy. This also includes the Tab and Note series.

dinan
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Hey not sure if this will help you but it works well on things that are low volume at the source.

Go to your sound settings in the control panel, go to speaker properties, then enhancements, then enable "Loudness Equalization" and click settings and set the "Release Time" to shortest.

This might actually make your videos sound worse through headphones but when using the external speakers it normalizes the volume so that extremely low sounds are louder and extremely loud sounds are softer.

Also this might not work well with applications that have built-in sound normalization like MPC-HC so you might want to only enable it when you're watching netflix or youtube or other flash based media that doesn't have built in normalization.

bountygiver
Old
Thanks Meter 26
IMO the sound's loud enough, louder than all my tablets and my old dell laptop. But definitely softer than my brother's MSI gaming laptop.

C-Lang
Old
Thanks Meter 37
RT is the same. Bummer, but oh well. I use a Belkin bluetooth receiver with my old computer speakers, works GREAT!

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lang View Post
RT is the same. Bummer, but oh well. I use a Belkin bluetooth receiver with my old computer speakers, works GREAT!
Hmm, sounds like a good idea for me actually. Might have to invest in one.

Timelord83
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan View Post
Hey not sure if this will help you but it works well on things that are low volume at the source.

Go to your sound settings in the control panel, go to speaker properties, then enhancements, then enable "Loudness Equalization" and click settings and set the "Release Time" to shortest.

This might actually make your videos sound worse through headphones but when using the external speakers it normalizes the volume so that extremely low sounds are louder and extremely loud sounds are softer.

Also this might not work well with applications that have built-in sound normalization like MPC-HC so you might want to only enable it when you're watching netflix or youtube or other flash based media that doesn't have built in normalization.
You sir.. where do I send beer money.. My Surface is finally louder than a mute mouse.. YAY
Current Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 SGH-i927 Completely Stock
Microsoft Surface Pro 128GB, Running Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Acer Iconia A501-10S16U Rooted, Running JB AOSP Build 5

Retired Devices:
Motorola Atrix 4G BL Unlocked/Root Running DarkSide 4.4
HTC Inspire 4G Rooted Running Android Revolution 5.2.4
HTC Mytouch 3g Rooted/Carrier Unlocked Running CronMod-sapphire w/Custom BootSplash

Stolen Devices:
LG Thrill 4G Rooted Returned To Stock ROM

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2636
For what it's worth, if you have an original Surface Pro or the Pro 2, you may be able to use Ears (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...urface-tablets). They're not on sale yet (and the Kickstarter project has ended) but they should be available for purchase after the KS backers receive theirs.

I don't know if the Surface Pro 3 will be supported though.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.