Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 46,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Surface Pro: Extend C Drive Partition?

Tip us?

ssconceptz
Old
(Last edited by ssconceptz; 29th December 2013 at 06:00 AM.)
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1024

DONATE TO ME
Default Surface Pro: Extend C Drive Partition?

Ok so I went ahead and created the USB flash restore disk for my Surface Pro 64 and all that, I have a new partition now of about 7.81 GB. Now the issue I face is I don't want this extra partition, I want to add it to the current 50GB C partition, and in any normal windows computer it's allowed, why is it not so in the Surface Pro? Is it the location of the partitions? Is there any sure way to delete every single partition except the C partition in order to get this done?

If you don't know what I'm talking about these are the steps to do this:
http://www.petri.co.il/increase-stor...covery-usb.htm

Now if anyone has a 3rd party program that can do this for free that would be great, the built in Disk Management application doesn't allow you to do so.

Thanks,
Mike

FIX YOUR BRICK, IM this guy ===> tomy1986.nt
Nexus 5 - CM11 Nightlies | Surface Pro 128GB
Nexus 5 RANDOMLY REBOOTING???? FIX!!!!!!! My Solution
Video Reviews

Hit that THANKS button if I've helped you out!
Let me know anything you want reviewed!

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2641
I don't have a Surface Pro, but the *usual* arrangement is that, after the boot partition, the system drive is then followed by the backup partition. To use that, you should just be able to delete the backup partition (don't create a new one; just delete it entirely) and then Extend the system volume into that space. This does, however, require that the system volume be placed immediately in front of (before) the recovery partition that you're deleting. If there are any other partitions in between, you'll need to delete them too. If the recovery partition was located before the system volume, you can't do this at all while Windows is booted. My approach at that point would involve an external hard disk (to have room to store the backup image of the system volume, although a sufficiently large flashdrive or microSD would work too), a portable Linux installation or live image (may need to disable Secure Boot), and either moving or re-building the system volume to start at the beginning of the space you just freed up.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

ssconceptz
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1024

DONATE TO ME
Yea, I know exactly how to do it, it just in fact will not let me do it. I have attached some images as proof. If you try to delete any of the 3 small partitions the only right click option shown to you is "Help" and the C & D partitions can only shrink, no Extend. I've deleted D before and C still couldn't extend because of the one partition in between that I can't delete. Maybe there's a program that can override this limitation.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (14).jpg
Views:	677
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	2481401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (13).jpg
Views:	459
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	2481402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (12).jpg
Views:	455
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	2481404  

Video Reviews

Trig0r
Old
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
DISKPART from an elevated command prompt?
Nokia N920, Surface Pro2 256Gb

*ALL* Surface RT WinRT 8.0 Recovery Files on UK FTP - Surface RT WinRT 8.1 Euro
Surface 2 8.1 Euro
Surface Pro Win 8.0 Euro
Surface Pro 2 Win8.1 Euro

*PM ONLY, DON'T EMAIL ME I WONT RESPOND*

ssconceptz
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1024

DONATE TO ME
I used it on a flash drive but I didn't see an option for individual partitions.

Video Reviews

ssconceptz
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1024

DONATE TO ME
Hmm http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

Video Reviews

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2641
Diskpart.exe has an interactive mode with excellent help information. Typing "help" into it, optionally followed by a command, will give you information about the commands (or the specific command and its sub-commands).

The general procedure, including abbreviations you can use instead of the full commands:
diskpart
lis dis (List disks)
sel dis 0 (Select Disk 0; modify if needed)
lis par (list partitions of the selected disk)
sel par 4 (again, adjust as needed)
del par override (the "override" part should let you delete any partition type, so long as it isn't critical to system operation)

From this point on, you can use diskmgmt.msc if you want to.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

cd85233
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Sorry to bring back a solved thread, but is this partitioning normal? I had the same thing and was concerned my tablet was returned after someone installed osx. Did you do anything like that to end with that partitioning? Did you upgrade to 8.1 before seeing this partition table?

Thanks for the help. Im trying to figure out if i need to return it to BestBuy.
Nokia 3220>Samsung T-819>Treo 650>HTC Wizard>HTC TiTan>Treo 750>HTC 6800>Treo 800>HTC Tilt>HTC 6800>Palm Centro>HTC Touch Pro> HTC Touch Pro 2>Samsung Moment>Palm Pre>Samsung Transform> Samsung Epic 4G Touch + ACER ICONIA A500>Galaxy S3>Galaxy S4 + ATIV 500T

Alger689
Old
Thanks Meter 0
As I know, in your case, you can have two ways to go on:

1). Back up everything important well, shrink other partition with free space and click “Extend” option by right clicking C drive in Disk Management.

2). Apply a tool to help you. If the firstly way cannot work for your computer, you also can learn to extend your partition by using some partition resizing tool like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, Active Partition Master and more.

No matter which one you choose to use, you’d better make data backups well in advance in case of data loss.

V DidDy 210
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Sorry to necro bump, but this happened to me on a brand new surface pro I bought (300$ on ebay couldn't say no)

I removed the recovery to get the 8 gigs back after upgrading to 8.1 and had to use diskpart to remove partition 5 which was a 450mb recovery between my C and my New Volume. once removed, I deleted the new volume and all 8.x gbs of space was added back to my C drive.

happy happy happy

Got a 128gb sd card, changed the libraries to pool from the D: drive and alls good here

Phones:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 4.4 Stock.

Retired:
Samsung Galaxy S3
Motorola Atrix 4G
HTC One X
Samsung Focus
Samsung Captivate
Motorola Backflip
iPhone 3G
Samsung Blackjack
HTC 8925