[BUILD][03-Sep-2016][SP2] Android-x86 / Remix OS

Search This thread

rootsuperuser

Feb 25, 2015
How-To

Here to download a Testbuild for Android 5.0.2 from Google Groups from rgb
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/3xClAbl5D_w

Info:
If an microSD card is inserted the boot process will fail, because the microSD replaces the SSD to be the hd0 device.
Solution: change the grub.cfg entry from hd0 to hd1 and also do the mod in the loopback cfg
[EDIT]: sinc latest UEFI Firmware update, booting from microSD isn't working anymore

gapps can be used from any place, just copy the contens of the .zip file to there correct places.
atm I use a small gapps package from paranoidandroid (PA)
http://d-h.st/o72

WiFi:
I compiled a build on my Ubuntu intallation and extract the files for you, hope copy the files works also on the downloadable iso.
Please give me feedback if the files are working for you.
usb8797_uapsta.bin replaced in /lib/firmware/mrvl/
mrvl folder replaced in /lib/modules/3.10.58-android-x86+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

Touch/Type Cover 2:
hid folder replaced in /lib/modules/3.10.58-android-x86+/kernel/drivers/

THANKS!

dinohunter117

Jan 9, 2011
Has anyone tried DuOS? I have been running it on my Surface Pro 1 for about a week now and I have yet to find anything wrong with it. Its a virtual machine inside windows and it runs flawlessly.

Has anyone tried DuOS? I have been running it on my Surface Pro 1 for about a week now and I have yet to find anything wrong with it. Its a virtual machine inside windows and it runs flawlessly.

Interesting but as far as I know and tested nothing comes close a android build that runs natively.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

slashdevnull

Dec 13, 2014
Info:
If an microSD card is inserted the boot process will fail, because the microSD replaces the SSD to be the hd0 device.
Solution: change the grub.cfg entry from hd0 to hd1 and also do the mod in the loopback cfg
[EDIT]: sinc latest UEFI Firmware update, booting from microSD isn't working anymore

Hi Sandman,

that's interesting. I've got the surface pro 3 with Docking Station, installed android x86 (EFI Image: "Android-x86 4.4-r2 EFI image") on microSDCard, the kernel starts to boot, but I'm having trouble with the root-partition.

Partitioning of my microSDCard:
sdb1: 120 MB, FAT16 ->EFI stuff
sdb2: 12G, ext2 -> Android x86

I copied the EFI stuff from live Image to sdb1, including kernel and initrd.

There's a grub.cfg inside efi->boot-dir, where I set root to (hd1,gpt1), but that didn't work...(hd1,1) didn't either, since it's not for EFI.
I'm almost there, but I don't know how to Access the root-partition (sdb2) on my microSD. :)

I already tried creating GPT Partition table on the microSD, but with that I couldn't install Androidx86 at all, the partitions weren't recognized.

Can someone help me with that? :)

P.S.: Running the LiveSystem from USB works perfectly well with the known issues (no WiFi).

Last edited:
P.S.: Running the LiveSystem from USB works perfectly well with the known issues (no WiFi).

Sounds good but please change your partition type to an EXT4 partition to avoid issues with gapps

The grub entry on the efi image is used for booting from the USB Drive
I had also an grub2 bootmanager from my ubuntu installation (where I build the images)

the grub2 bootmanager is installed on my local ssd and there I include the code to boot from my ssd Partition

e.g.
Code:
set root='(hd0,8)'
linux /android-2015-03-04/kernel root=/dev/sda8 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 SRC=/android-2015-03-04
initrd /android-2015-03-04/initrd.img

slashdevnull

Dec 13, 2014
Sounds good but please change your partition type to an EXT4 partition to avoid issues with gapps

The grub entry on the efi image is used for booting from the USB Drive
I had also an grub2 bootmanager from my ubuntu installation (where I build the images)

the grub2 bootmanager is installed on my local ssd and there I include the code to boot from my ssd Partition

e.g.
Code:
set root='(hd0,8)'
linux /android-2015-03-04/kernel root=/dev/sda8 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 SRC=/android-2015-03-04
initrd /android-2015-03-04/initrd.img

Hi,
thanks for your reply. :)
I've got Arch Linux running on my Surface's internal SSD, but I didn't want to shrink my partitions any further, so I wanted microSD-boot. :)

I don't think that
Code:
set root='(hd0,8)'
will work on the surface3, since there's no "normal BIOS mode" available, EFI only.
As I mentioned before,
Code:
set root='(hd1,gpt1)'
didn't work.

Last edited:
Hi,
thanks for your reply. :)
I've got Arch Linux running on my Surface's internal SSD, but I didn't want to shrink my partitions any further, so I wanted microSD-boot. :)

I don't think that
Code:
set root='(hd0,8)'
will work on the surface3, since there's no "normal BIOS mode" available, EFI only.
As I mentioned before,
Code:
set root='(hd1,gpt1)'
didn't work.

that code is working on my SP2 (EFI only, disabled secure boot)
btw if you are using grub2 you can also get a little help by the "e" key to get into the editor during the boot process
in the editor set the cursor to the x hdx and press "TAB"
At the bottom you will see available options (e.g. hd0, hd1, hd2)
The same works for the partition after the comma, the grub editor will show you available options

This helps me to find out which hd number and partition number I need to implement to get my android installations booting

slashdevnull

Dec 13, 2014
btw if you are using grub2 you can also get a little help by the "e" key to get into the editor during the boot process
in the editor set the cursor to the x hdx and press "TAB"
At the bottom you will see available options (e.g. hd0, hd1, hd2)
The same works for the partition after the comma, the grub editor will show you available options

doing this it just gives me the EFI directory, but no other partitions available.
I'm wondering if this could be a problem of Androidx86 not being able to install on a microSDCard with GPT partition layout ?

Last edited:
doing this it just gives me the EFI directory, but no other partitions available.
I'm wondering if this could be a problem of Androidx86 not being able to install on a microSDCard with GPT partition layout ?

I will give it a try when I'm back home from work and repartition my 32G microSD and format it with GPT and 2 partitions
lets see if I can get it working.
but I don't think it would run as smooth as directly from ssd

Reactions: MarkusP87
A little bit frustrating.

After the latest Microsoft SP2 firmware uptade I'm not able to boot directly from MicoSD any more.

Msdos Partition table allows me to install android from installer directly but I can't force my grub loaded to boot from it.

Gpt partition table and the android installer didn't find the MicroSD any more and also booting via grub do not work.

Seems that there is more magic to be done to boot from MicroSD. :(

stickshift88

Mar 25, 2009
I can definitely agree duOS is fantastic. Been running it on my SP2 for a few months no problems and it handles gaming very well

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Free mobile app

slashdevnull

Dec 13, 2014
A little bit frustrating.

After the latest Microsoft SP2 firmware uptade I'm not able to boot directly from MicoSD any more.

Msdos Partition table allows me to install android from installer directly but I can't force my grub loaded to boot from it.

Gpt partition table and the android installer didn't find the MicroSD any more and also booting via grub do not work.

Seems that there is more magic to be done to boot from MicroSD. :(

Hi,
my experiences last night were similar to yours:
I tried to use the partitioning tool provided by the installer and it says "Unsupported GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected. Use GNU Parted.", but the latter is not available with the install medium. I created a gpt disk with two partitions (using gparted), but the partitions are not recognized by the installer.
Another thing to try would be dd-ing the EFI-Image to microSD and try to boot from that. If that's working, it's definitely a problem of the AndroidX86 installer. I also saw, that it doesn't really offer an option for formating in ext4, ext2+3 only. :(

So...to conclude our experiments...: The Android X86 Team should add support for installing on gpt partition layout, especially on external media like (micro)SDCards...this is not a Problem we can fix.

Last edited:
Hi,
my experiences last night were similar to yours:
I tried to use the partitioning tool provided by the installer and it says "Unsupported GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected. Use GNU Parted.", but the latter is not available with the install medium. I created a gpt disk with two partitions (using gparted), but the partitions are not recognized by the installer.
Another thing to try would be dd-ing the EFI-Image to microSD and try to boot from that. If that's working, it's definitely a problem of the AndroidX86 installer. I also saw, that it doesn't really offer an option for formating in ext4, ext2+3 only. :(

So...to conclude our experiments...: The Android X86 Team should add support for installing on gpt partition layout, especially on external media like (micro)SDCards...this is not a Problem we can fix.

This is why we still need the How to from the first posts because formating the partition with EXT4 and the GPT partition table is currently not supported.
btw. there are allready discussions ongoing on google groups to implement EXT4 capability to the intaller

slashdevnull

Dec 13, 2014
This is why we still need the How to from the first posts because formating the partition with EXT4 and the GPT partition table is currently not supported.
btw. there are allready discussions ongoing on google groups to implement EXT4 capability to the intaller

According to the first post one possible "workaround" would be:
Install to USB-Stick with msdos Partition layout, create GPT on microSDCard, config EFI stuff on microSDCard, copy partition from USB-Stick to microSDCard.

...might be worth a try :)

Last edited:

mrfishball

Aug 16, 2008
install apps from play store

has anyone tried installing apps from the playstore. a lot of apps are incompetible . i played around with the build.prop file,no luck. downloaded the clash of clan apk directly from the playstore but package installer wont install the app. anyone?

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

i came across this line in the nexus 9's build prop "wifi.interface=wlan0" which didn't exsist in my surface pro's build.prop (lollipop 5.0.1) so i took the liberty of adding that in myself last night. since then i haven't experienced any wifi connectivity drops nor connectivity issues. i'm not sure if that helps as i'm still experimenting. you can find the build.prop file under /system. right now my biggest concern is installing apps from the play store as many apps are incompatible or missing:(

MarkusP87

Apr 19, 2015
Hello,

i've got a Surface Pro 2 and tried the 4.4 KitKat, 5.0 Lollipop and the newest 5.1 Lollipop.

Both the 4.4 KitKat and 5.0 Lollipop works surprisingly well, W-Lan and Orientation at 5.0 Lollipop and W-Lan at 4.4 Kitkat.

Unfortunately the 5.1 Lollipop Image with both 3.XX and 4.0 Kernel doesn't even boot, it's just a black screen.

Is this image for Surface Pro 2 also ?

sandman01 said:
Wifi is broken at the moment (authentification problems)
I've gotten the same Authentification Problems (Getting IP/Connecting...) when playing around with the system folder and it's permissions.
The Solution at least on my Problem was to set the system folder's permission (chmod -R 655 /system) after that the W-Lan successfully connected.

Thanks for working on our beloved Tablets, they deserve Android :D

greetz,
MarkusP

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Devs!

I'm wondering why not more people here working to get android lollipop working on our beloved tablets

I started to read a little bit into the topic and found quick easy solutions on the web to get ordenary android-x86 images boot very well.

Draco wrote an How-To that is easy and works also perfect with the Surface-Pro
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/D85Jq02cLrE
    I modified the UEFI files to work better with a out of the box intallation of the Surface and put it together with Android 5.0.2 test builds.

Collect everything I've uploaded in a Folder:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview...V3VU0wYV9MY2VVVkY2eGJPT0EyTkQ4WnM&usp=sharing

working
    multitouch screen
    sound
    internal Wifi from SP2 (88W8797)
    Bluetooth
    Type Cover 2 (on installation also)
    Touch Cover 2 (on installation also)
    Inclinometer (= rotation sensor)
    Ambient light sensor
    Front Cam (tested with open Camera)
    Rear Cam (tested with open Camera)
    OpenGL (tested with Antutu)

Issues so far
    Accelerometer [HID-SENSOR-200073.0]
    Gyroscope [HID-SENSOR-200076.0]
    Magnetometer [HID-SENSOR-200076.0]
    MS Pen not working
    YouTube Videos not working (only low resolutions, working over chromecast)

Are there more people interrested in getting latest Android working better on our Surface Pro?
    I can support and provide with modified files and my modified How-To if someone like to join.

Remix OS link:
    Remix OS with working WiFi

Bliss-x86 link:
    https://xdaforums.com/android/software/x86-bliss-x86-pc-s-t3534657

regards
    Sandman01
    bootmanager, gapp[EXT4], WIFI [firmwar+module], Type/Touch Cover 2

How-To

Here to download a Testbuild for Android 5.0.2 from Google Groups from rgb
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/3xClAbl5D_w

Info:

gapps can be used from any place, just copy the contens of the .zip file to there correct places.
    atm I use a small gapps package from paranoidandroid (PA)
    http://d-h.st/o72

WiFi: (not required any more on available builds)
    I compiled a build on my Ubuntu intallation and extract the files for you, hope copy the files works also on the downloadable iso.
    Please give me feedback if the files are working for you.
    usb8797_uapsta.bin replaced in /lib/firmware/mrvl/
    mrvl folder replaced in /lib/modules/3.10.58-android-x86+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

Touch/Type Cover 2: (not required any more on available builds)
    hid folder replaced in /lib/modules/3.10.58-android-x86+/kernel/drivers/
    Collect all my test images into an folder:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview...V3VU0wYV9MY2VVVkY2eGJPT0EyTkQ4WnM&usp=sharing

currently uploading an fresh clean build with kernel 3.18.8 (see the date code 20150524 at the end of the file)

during updating it seems that a few mesa updates should be integrated.
    I don't think so joseltoro, at least without serious hacking. It's the system's way of telling you that your secure boot keys are corrupt or missing, or otherwise not valid (they're deleted upon disabling secure boot). :(

Hello,

it depends on which Bootloader you use to boot into Android/Windows.

With Grub2 it works by using the Microsoft Surface Pro UEFI CA (Google the Website, can't post it here).
    You can try it with your current Bootloader also, just download the Tool and extract it to somewhere.

Turn Off your Surface Pro 2 and then Hold VOL UP and Press the Power Button and wait until you get into the Secure Boot Manager.
    Enable Secure Boot, Press Delete All Secure Keys and Install new Secure Keys and restart into Windows.
    Ignore the "Invalid Signature Dedected" by pressing Enter.
    Open CMD with Administrator Privileges and browse to your extracted Folder.
    Run SavePlatformKey.cmd and Turn Off your Surface Pro 2.
    Hold VOL UP and Press Power, once you are in Secure Boot Manager Press Delete all Secure Keys and restart into Windows.
    Open CMD with Administrator Privileges and browse to your extracted Folder.
    Run InstallSecureBootWithMsftUefiCertAuthToDB.cmd and restart your Surface Pro 2.

Now you should have the original black Surface Logo with your favorite Bootloader.

I hope it works for you too :)

I've added my Bootloader as attachment

greeTz,
    MarkusP
    Hi!

Grub entries highly depends on your GPT partition table, so it is difficult to answer because the partition number (gpt and /dev/sdx) is maybe different on your installation.

VOL+DOWN is only needed if you like to boot from USB (micro SD card do not work with the latest SP2 firmware anymore) so if you need to press VOL+DOWN than yoou will also have to change grub.cfg on you usb drive you are booting from to get a change in the grub entries.

BTW:
    Maybe it would be better to delete all that additional stuff in the second post because I will always include GApps and my Wifi mod is already implemented in android-x86 sources :)
    nothing is needed anymore on the test images I will provide for you.
    And it is also easy for everybody to build the image by them self because nothing new is implemented doe the lack of knowledge from my side.