OP mseck

9th August 2014, 07:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Saint louis, MO
Thanks Meter: 0

38 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've recently completed a trip to Disney World with my family and took over 300 Pictures. I used my MS PRO 3 to store the pics and do some work.. Unfortunately i woke up today and the device won't boot up.

I took the Microsoft store where i bought it for assistance and i was told it is most likely gone forever.
Since this is suppose to be a Laptop replacement, they're able to reach the Hard drive registry and pull any folder that is customer created or use a USB drive and install the corrupted files?

I was wondering is there is any ways to retrieve this pictures or document. Know with a standard laptop its possible. Why not the pro.

You may ask why, Why i didn't save it thru One Drive, Well the photo were too big and the types of transfer is not allow... I never had these types of issues with my android devices($500) something different with the Surface pro 3 ($1400).
9th August 2014, 08:53 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,712

5,739 posts
More
Hypothetically, you could extract the solid-state drive from the tablet and connect that to another device. You'd pretty much need to take the tablet to pieces to do so, though.

This is the same problem you would have if any other device with non-removable storage (MBA, iPad, Android tablet, $300 Dell Venue 8 Windows tablet, etc.) doed so completely you couldn't even begin the boot process, by the way. It sucks that it happened to a high-end device but that's what warranties are for. As for the lost photos, well, that sucks but unless they're still on the camera memory card then recovering them is going to be difficult and/or expensive if it's possible at all, and it might not be.
10th August 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #3  
Flag Westbury
Thanks Meter: 3

22 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mseck

I've recently completed a trip to Disney World with my family and took over 300 Pictures. I used my MS PRO 3 to store the pics and do some work.. Unfortunately i woke up today and the device won't boot up.

I took the Microsoft store where i bought it for assistance and i was told it is most likely gone forever.
Since this is suppose to be a Laptop replacement, they're able to reach the Hard drive registry and pull any folder that is customer created or use a USB drive and install the corrupted files?

I was wondering is there is any ways to retrieve this pictures or document. Know with a standard laptop its possible. Why not the pro.

You may ask why, Why i didn't save it thru One Drive, Well the photo were too big and the types of transfer is not allow... I never had these types of issues with my android devices($500) something different with the Surface pro 3 ($1400).

Well, it's not really fair to compare the SP3 to an Android device. Android uses ARM processors and the SP3 uses x86 processors. x86 is the kind of processor that you would find in a laptop or desktop. You should be able to retrieve any files from your SP3 as you would from a laptop. It has the same hardware as a laptop.

Keep in mind that MS has 14 day return policy as does most computer retailers. If it is a mechanical failure it is under warranty and they will replace it. If you have a replacement plan they will replace it no matter what.

Unfortunately, most will tell you that the way to get files from a busted PC is to take the hard drive out and put in a different PC. I don't think you want to take your SP3 apart for a few files.

The best solution would be to find a way to boot your PC from a USB. If you can manage that, you can copy the files to a USB. You're probably going to need a USB hub.
13th August 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
Forget it guys let's admit it the sp3 is a beautiful piece of hardware and fantastic fete of engineering. But truth be told mine bricked on day 1 and had to spent an extra 200$ shipping it back for an exchange from Microsoft.

There are way too many occasions reported that I wonder what the mac boys would say about this. Thinks I wanna let the cat out of the bag.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th September 2014, 11:30 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 80

718 posts
Donate to Me
Take it you dont have a mSD card in the machine and use File History?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread