Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,983 Members 45,556 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

win 8 or 8.1? surface ft

Tip us?

jordy787
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Default win 8 or 8.1? surface ft

Hi guys, I just got my surface rt And I was wondering should I keep windows 8.1 or just 8? Is it worth it to jailbreak ? Thanks
Current phones: Galaxy Note 3 & iPhone 5.

Laying around in drawer: x3 Galaxy S4 , iPhone 4 , mytouch 3g slide, Lumia 521 , HTC inspire 4G ,& Some more.

My tutorial on how to install international miui v5 rom on T-Mobile S4:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post48482226

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2641
There are plenty of threads already on this topic...

Anyhow, IMO Windows RT is nigh-useless without jailbreaking. 8.1 helps a little but it's still pretty bad. On the other hand, the RT hacking scene has lost a lot of steam while waiting for an 8.1 jailbreak to come out, and most of the apps that were ported or created specifically for RT are now obsolete versions, abandoned partially complete, or both. They are still useful, but there's limits.

In any case, it really comes down to your use cases. If you need Outlook, use 8.1. If you want to run DOSBox games, use the jailbreak. If you need the latest and greatest Windows Store apps, use 8.1. If you want to try running the x86 dynamic recompilation layer (one of those incomplete-and-abandoned projects, though it works for some normal Windows apps) use the jailbreak. If you want to run the latest version of IE, use 8.1. If you want to use a mostly-functional WebKit-based browser (i.e. not IE), use the jailbreak.

Or you could try contributing to getting the jailbreak working on 8.1, I guess. That would be the best of both worlds, and would probably jump-start development for RT again.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jordy787
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
There are plenty of threads already on this topic...

Anyhow, IMO Windows RT is nigh-useless without jailbreaking. 8.1 helps a little but it's still pretty bad. On the other hand, the RT hacking scene has lost a lot of steam while waiting for an 8.1 jailbreak to come out, and most of the apps that were ported or created specifically for RT are now obsolete versions, abandoned partially complete, or both. They are still useful, but there's limits.

In any case, it really comes down to your use cases. If you need Outlook, use 8.1. If you want to run DOSBox games, use the jailbreak. If you need the latest and greatest Windows Store apps, use 8.1. If you want to try running the x86 dynamic recompilation layer (one of those incomplete-and-abandoned projects, though it works for some normal Windows apps) use the jailbreak. If you want to run the latest version of IE, use 8.1. If you want to use a mostly-functional WebKit-based browser (i.e. not IE), use the jailbreak.

Or you could try contributing to getting the jailbreak working on 8.1, I guess. That would be the best of both worlds, and would probably jump-start development for RT again.
Okay thanks ! Can I go back to win8 by resetting my rt in settings ?
Current phones: Galaxy Note 3 & iPhone 5.

Laying around in drawer: x3 Galaxy S4 , iPhone 4 , mytouch 3g slide, Lumia 521 , HTC inspire 4G ,& Some more.

My tutorial on how to install international miui v5 rom on T-Mobile S4:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post48482226

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2641
If you save the 8.0 recover image, yes. I'm not sure whether it's saved under normal upgrade circumstances; I removed mine to free up space. You can also download the 8.0 image and restore it.

It's also possible, though a little complicated, to install 8.0 and 8.1 at the same time, in a dual-boot configuration. Doing so uses a lot of the tablet's internal storage though.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.