OP jordy787

6th July 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle,WA
Thanks Meter: 22

218 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi guys, I just got my surface rt And I was wondering should I keep windows 8.1 or just 8? Is it worth it to jailbreak ? Thanks
9th July 2014, 09:08 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,723

5,755 posts
More
There are plenty of threads already on this topic...

Anyhow, IMO Windows RT is nigh-useless without jailbreaking. 8.1 helps a little but it's still pretty bad. On the other hand, the RT hacking scene has lost a lot of steam while waiting for an 8.1 jailbreak to come out, and most of the apps that were ported or created specifically for RT are now obsolete versions, abandoned partially complete, or both. They are still useful, but there's limits.

In any case, it really comes down to your use cases. If you need Outlook, use 8.1. If you want to run DOSBox games, use the jailbreak. If you need the latest and greatest Windows Store apps, use 8.1. If you want to try running the x86 dynamic recompilation layer (one of those incomplete-and-abandoned projects, though it works for some normal Windows apps) use the jailbreak. If you want to run the latest version of IE, use 8.1. If you want to use a mostly-functional WebKit-based browser (i.e. not IE), use the jailbreak.

Or you could try contributing to getting the jailbreak working on 8.1, I guess. That would be the best of both worlds, and would probably jump-start development for RT again.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th July 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle,WA
Thanks Meter: 22

218 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

There are plenty of threads already on this topic...

Anyhow, IMO Windows RT is nigh-useless without jailbreaking. 8.1 helps a little but it's still pretty bad. On the other hand, the RT hacking scene has lost a lot of steam while waiting for an 8.1 jailbreak to come out, and most of the apps that were ported or created specifically for RT are now obsolete versions, abandoned partially complete, or both. They are still useful, but there's limits.

In any case, it really comes down to your use cases. If you need Outlook, use 8.1. If you want to run DOSBox games, use the jailbreak. If you need the latest and greatest Windows Store apps, use 8.1. If you want to try running the x86 dynamic recompilation layer (one of those incomplete-and-abandoned projects, though it works for some normal Windows apps) use the jailbreak. If you want to run the latest version of IE, use 8.1. If you want to use a mostly-functional WebKit-based browser (i.e. not IE), use the jailbreak.

Or you could try contributing to getting the jailbreak working on 8.1, I guess. That would be the best of both worlds, and would probably jump-start development for RT again.

Okay thanks ! Can I go back to win8 by resetting my rt in settings ?
10th July 2014, 06:29 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,723

5,755 posts
More
If you save the 8.0 recover image, yes. I'm not sure whether it's saved under normal upgrade circumstances; I removed mine to free up space. You can also download the 8.0 image and restore it.

It's also possible, though a little complicated, to install 8.0 and 8.1 at the same time, in a dual-boot configuration. Doing so uses a lot of the tablet's internal storage though.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread