Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 43,697 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Possible Windows RT 8(.1) install disk?

Tip us?

Scoutsassin
Old
(Last edited by Scoutsassin; 11th July 2014 at 03:53 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Possible Windows RT 8(.1) install disk?

I'm relatively new on XDA and also to my new Surface RT, but I think I've found something useful.

I bought my Surface first gen two days ago from an employee from a local retailer, who has won the tablet because of his job. So when I bought it, it came with a preconfigured account MMS on it. I think this would be deployed as demo item, but it never was done so.

So, the point is, when I checked This Computer there was a DVD-RW drive connected, with something like a install disk/iso from Windows inserted. Ofcourse Surfaces don't have physical drives, so I quicly copied the complete contents to my pc.

So my question: is this really the Windows RT install disk? I have really no idea how I can check that.

Quick edit: tried opening the setup.exe, and it popped up as Windows Server 2012.. That doesn't make sense at all, why would you have Server 2012 on a brand new Surface RT?! The Autorun.inf also said AMD64.

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutsassin View Post
I'm relatively new on XDA and also to my new Surface RT, but I think I've found something useful.

I bought my Surface first gen two days ago from an employee from a local retailer, who has won the tablet because of his job. So when I bought it, it came with a preconfigured account MMS on it. I think this would be deployed as demo item, but it never was done so.

So, the point is, when I checked This Computer there was a DVD-RW drive connected, with something like a install disk/iso from Windows inserted. Ofcourse Surfaces don't have physical drives, so I quicly copied the complete contents to my pc.

So my question: is this really the Windows RT install disk? I have really no idea how I can check that.

Quick edit: tried opening the setup.exe, and it popped up as Windows Server 2012.. That doesn't make sense at all, why would you have Server 2012 on a brand new Surface RT?! The Autorun.inf also said AMD64.
windows 8 & RT can mount iso images as virtual DVD drives. Seems for some reason the dude simply mounted the server 2012 image?

Scoutsassin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven View Post
windows 8 & RT can mount iso images as virtual DVD drives. Seems for some reason the dude simply mounted the server 2012 image?
Well, the device was brand new, it was still sealed. But still, why would MS do this, it doesn't make any sense...