FORUMS
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Windows Phone 8.1 WhatsApp backup/restore

22nd March 2015, 12:04 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've seen some threads about accessing the WhatsApp messages backup database files on iPhone, Android and older Windows Phone versions (7.x). However, none of the methods seem to be compatible with the WhatsApp messages backup database file found on Windows Phone 8.1. I am looking for a way to either extract/decrypt or restore an older messages backup database. Tried so far:

- Place messages.db file on SD card and reinstall WhatsApp. WhatsApp does NOT find the backup on installation. It only restores the most recent chats (not the ones from the backup file)
- Tried available tools for iPhone/Android (Python scripts with crypto 5/7/8). Database format is incompatible
- Tried opening the database file directly in Microsoft Access, SQLite Browser. Unrecognized file format
- Tried the Zune/WP Device Manager approach. Seems to work only with Windows Phone 7.x, Windows Phone 8 is not seen by the tool
- Tried Windows Phone Power Tools to access Isolated Storage for the WhatsApp app, but access to an apps isolated storage is not possible in Windows Phone 8 anymore.
- Tried the WhatsApp Xtractor, but it contains the same iPhone/Android python scripts that don't work with the Windows Phone version
- Even tried asking WhatsApp support directly, but they have not given any response yet

Can any WhatsApp / encryption wizard please help me out. I am more than willing to reward/tip you for it if the solution works!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread