[XAP][27/02/2016][0.7] CustomWPSystem - patch XAPs easily within WPSystem folder

Search This thread

Pasquiindustry

Recognized Developer
Jul 9, 2012
Conversano
pasquiindustry.com
Hi, following XDA user djamol tutorial, I've created an helper that allows in less click to patch system app to use OEM APIs
This app is based on This tutorial from this topic (ok... seems that there's no more tutorial there)
Remember that you need an SD card into your phone!

NOTE | I've updated this app to 0.7 and some of the functionalities are changed, so some of the tutorials created for 0.6 or less may be obsolete!

how does this work?
Detailed instructions are available within the app. Just swipe to go to the next section.

Changelog
Latest release
v 0.7 (27/02/2016)
- added MixRadio support
- new Interface and icon
- other bugfixes

Old releases
v0.6 (08/06/2015) [Still available]
- added extras and infos app support :D
- small UI fix and bugfix
- Update made with the collaboration of WojtasXda :good:

v0.5 (31/12/2014) HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D [Still available]
- trying to fix ACCESS DENIED error
- fixed scrollviewer bug
- better english (please let me know if I can write better)
- Added Field Medic app for testing purpose

v0.4 (23/12/2014)
- better naming messagge errors
- changed try-catch positions
- definitive "about" structure (not content)

v 0.3 (22-23/12/2014)
- fixed another crash
- now xap apps subfolder gets copied too!

v 0.2 (22/12/2014)
- fixed a crash
- fixed app patching for Glance Background and Preview For Developers

v 0.1 (16/12/2014)
- first release

Text related to versions 0.6 and less
  1. NEW IMPORTANT! Give SD card permissions
    • Tap "SD Card permissions" button
    • Tap only "SD card"
    • Press the check button into the bottom appbar
    • "SD Card permissions" button will became green
    • It isn't necessary to set the "Unhide WPSystem" green.
  2. Choose the app target
    With this first version it's possible to choose five target apps, i will add other apps soon:
    • Live Lock Screen beta
    • Glance Background beta
    • Preview for developers
    • Field Medic
    • Extras and infos [NEW!]
  3. Download the app and move it to SD card (using storage sense)
  4. Pin the app into the start screen (obviusly you can't pin extras and infos before Update 2)
  5. Choose the custom XAP (the app uses the integrated file picker)
  6. Patch!

FAQ
Q: I'm getting ACCESS DENIED error
A: When you get this error, an error message will appear, make sure that "SD Card permissions" is GREEN and not RED

Q: the app crashed immediately after patch
A: ehm... I don't know, please advice me within this topic. Try to deploy again the app.

Q: Preview For Developers (or other apps) vanished from app list and I can't reinstall or unistall
A: Use Storage Sense to unistall the app

Q: Can I restore original apps?
A: Sure! Unistall and reinstall the target app

OTHER TROUBLESHOOTING
> Remove/unistall the app from the app list within your phone
> Be sure that in Storage Sense default location for app storage is INTERNAL MEMORY
> Deploy the app with "Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1" (the 8.1 is relly important, the name may change, don't use 8.2, 8.0 or without numbers). Some Visual Studio versions have multiple deployers included, use the 8.1 version.

Glossary
  • Swapper: CustomWPSystem app
  • App target: The first/second party app to patch (Preview For Developers for example)
  • Homebrew XAP: the dev-made XAP that you can patch to target apps (CutomPFD for Example)

Thanks to everyone that is related with this project ;)
Sorry for bad english and enjoy! :D

Attachments

• CustomWPSystem_0500.xap
    436.2 KB · Views: 125,330
  • CustomWPSystem_0600.xap
    437 KB · Views: 97,049
  • CustomWPSystem_0700.xap
    505.9 KB · Views: 68,764
  • wp_ss_20160225_0002.png
    wp_ss_20160225_0002.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 15,918
Last edited:

megasounds

May 7, 2007
Looks great thanks
does anybody have the latest "registry editor" form djmol ?
i want to try the "preview voor developers" with the latest "registry editor" from djmol
please share the link

many thanks in advance
michael

Hi, following XDA user djamol tutorial, I've created an helper that allows in less click to patch system app to use OEM APIs
This app is based on This tutorial from this topic (ok... seems that there's no more tutorial there)

How does it functions?

1. Choose the app target
    With this first version it's possible to choose only three target apps, i will add other apps soon:
    • Live Lock Screen beta
    • Glance Background beta
    • Preview for developers
  2. Download the app and move it to SD card (using storage sense)
  3. Choose the custom XAP (the app uses the integrated file picker)
  4. Patch!

The app will automatically patch the app
This is the first release ever, so there may be bugs. I've tried with a custom lockscreen and it worked.

Changelog
v 0.1 (16/12/2014)
- first release

HD2Owner

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 9, 2009
Neuhausen am Rheinfall
i am having problems too. i am on build 8.10.14203. when i launch the patched app, it's stuck on "...loading..".
can people that have it working please post their wp81 build numbers and firmware revision number?

Pasquiindustry

Recognized Developer
Jul 9, 2012
Conversano
pasquiindustry.com
Mhm... which apps are you trying to patch?
I've added a lot of try-catch during patching with detailed message error and the app stay opened after patching (it will show up a message too)

Check the SD card root for wpsystem folder, there is apps or asspx folder?
Maybe the app that are you trying to apply doesn't have a compatible manifest...

Try to apply them manually and check if that works...

HD2Owner

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 9, 2009
Neuhausen am Rheinfall
please let me know your wp8 build number.
i would appreciate a regeditor that is already adjusted to be compatible with preview for developers hijacking.
i tried the regeditor from djamol posted above with PFD.
but no luck. stuck on ..loading... when i try to launch it.

i don't know what else to try. can anyone with build 14203 or above confirm that the regeditor above is working with PFD?

Pasquiindustry

Recognized Developer
Jul 9, 2012
Conversano
pasquiindustry.com
Ok, I've tried to make my own registry edititor based on DevProgramUI, but I can't patch it to Preview For Developers, the app crashes on startup (as DevProgramUI...). I've tried with my program and manually with a file Explorer...

I Will post soon the registry editor to a new topic, bug I don't know if it writes correctly registry Keys after patching the app :/

UPDATE: I have tried Glance Background Registry editor (the djamol one) and it works without problems with my tool

UPDATE 2: I'm writing here for the preview for developers crash problem: http://xdaforums.com/windows-phone-...-capabilitiy-hack-t2937089/page2#post57606692

UPDATE 3: I maybe found the solution! I will publish as sson as possible the new XAP ;)

Last edited:

Pasquiindustry

Recognized Developer
Jul 9, 2012
Conversano
pasquiindustry.com
Yes, with this first version, only patching Live Lockscreen works because that app didn't remove every file/folder under guid folder for wp8 apps (preview for developers and glance background)
For wp8.1 apps it isn't necessary to delete every file/folder

I've fixed that with the next release that is coming soon

Last edited:

winphoneuser

Jan 31, 2014
Ekaterinburg
I have still no luck using it.

Here is some minor mistakes with this app:
  • Apps folder getting renamed to apps (littlecase first digit "A")
  • Four stage of Applying... called Defualt app backup (instead of Default)
and the "swapper" doesn`t starting if installed on SD card and then being moved to Internal/Phone storage. Just infinite Loading... appears if you made it. I was forced to install it directly to Phone storage to work.

I`m trying to apply your registry editor to Preview for Developers app. And getting errors (permissions and E_ACCESSDENIED/0x80070005) at the last stage (Default app backup line is filled and Applying custom XAP file is at the dots animation stage). And I`m able to rename Apps forlder with Pocket File Manager, WPSystem folder attributes unchecked correctly, Preview for Developers folder {178AC... is empty after your app`s activity.

I had successfully installed @djamol registry editor but it is now broken by your app

I`m running Lumia 620 with Cyan update that was installed on PfD build which allows to install Cyan onto it. Extras+info app shows Core Build ID 3058.50000.1425.10479. OS version is 8.10.14176.243.

irshad2809

May 24, 2014
pune
Redmi Note 9 Pro
I have still no luck using it.

Here is some minor mistakes with this app:
  • Apps folder getting renamed to apps (littlecase first digit "A")
  • Four stage of Applying... called Defualt app backup (instead of Default)
and the "swapper" doesn`t starting if installed on SD card and then being moved to Internal/Phone storage. Just infinite Loading... appears if you made it. I was forced to install it directly to Phone storage to work.

I`m trying to apply your registry editor to Preview for Developers app. And getting errors (permissions and E_ACCESSDENIED/0x80070005) at the last stage (Default app backup line is filled and Applying custom XAP file is at the dots animation stage). And I`m able to rename Apps forlder with Pocket File Manager, WPSystem folder attributes unchecked correctly, Preview for Developers folder {178AC... is empty after your app`s activity.

I had successfully installed @djamol registry editor but it is now broken by your app

I`m running Lumia 620 with Cyan update that was installed on PfD build which allows to install Cyan onto it. Extras+info app shows Core Build ID 3058.50000.1425.10479. OS version is 8.10.14176.243.

if you are using pfd app then follow these steps
1. try using above app
2. it will show error , ignore it .
3. now manually copy contents of reg app and paste them in pdf app . ( for copy - paste use "file Manager" or "Folders" app )
4. done
It worked for me .

Reactions: winphoneuser

winphoneuser

Jan 31, 2014
Ekaterinburg
if you are using pfd app then follow these steps
1. try using above app
2. it will show error , ignore it .
3. now manually copy contents of reg app and paste them in pdf app . ( for copy - paste use "file Manager" or "Folders" app )
4. done
It worked for me .
Finally done it manually. After your post I tried to remove PfD app, redownloaded it from store and then with "swapper" tried to swap the apps. After the error messages I did use Pocket File Manager and realized that this time Preview for Developers folder was not empty, there was Install folder into it. I have renamed folder apps to Appx, erased the content of Preview for Developers folder ( {178AC... ) and then renamed folder Appx to Apps.

"Swapper" is the name of the CustomWPSystem app. @GoodDayToDie used it the first time (see original post). I do liked it and then used by myself. Probably that naming making problems for translating sites. Sorry for the inconvience.

Using Metro Commander Pro (paid one, but I got it for free during giveaway) I have copied content of {27D6A090... to {178AC... and:

aa7c2ba900db9cc2eed622ad8838a982.png

It works!

Last edited:
Reactions: DilanChd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NOTE | I've updated this app to 0.7 and some of the functionalities are changed, so some of the tutorials created for 0.6 or less may be obsolete!

how does this work?
    Detailed instructions are available within the app. Just swipe to go to the next section.

Changelog
    Latest release
    v 0.7 (27/02/2016)
    - added MixRadio support
    - new Interface and icon
    - other bugfixes

Old releases
    v0.6 (08/06/2015) [Still available]
    - added extras and infos app support :D
    - small UI fix and bugfix
    - Update made with the collaboration of WojtasXda :good:

v0.5 (31/12/2014) HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D [Still available]
    - trying to fix ACCESS DENIED error
    - fixed scrollviewer bug
    - better english (please let me know if I can write better)
    - Added Field Medic app for testing purpose

v0.4 (23/12/2014)
    - better naming messagge errors
    - changed try-catch positions
    - definitive "about" structure (not content)

v 0.3 (22-23/12/2014)
    - fixed another crash
    - now xap apps subfolder gets copied too!

v 0.2 (22/12/2014)
    - fixed a crash
    - fixed app patching for Glance Background and Preview For Developers

v 0.1 (16/12/2014)
    - first release

Text related to versions 0.6 and less
    1. NEW IMPORTANT! Give SD card permissions
      • Tap "SD Card permissions" button
      • Tap only "SD card"
      • Press the check button into the bottom appbar
      • "SD Card permissions" button will became green
      • It isn't necessary to set the "Unhide WPSystem" green.
    2. Choose the app target
      With this first version it's possible to choose five target apps, i will add other apps soon:
      • Live Lock Screen beta
      • Glance Background beta
      • Preview for developers
      • Field Medic
      • Extras and infos [NEW!]
    3. Download the app and move it to SD card (using storage sense)
    4. Pin the app into the start screen (obviusly you can't pin extras and infos before Update 2)
    5. Choose the custom XAP (the app uses the integrated file picker)
    6. Patch!

FAQ
    Q: I'm getting ACCESS DENIED error
    A: When you get this error, an error message will appear, make sure that "SD Card permissions" is GREEN and not RED

Q: the app crashed immediately after patch
    A: ehm... I don't know, please advice me within this topic. Try to deploy again the app.

Q: Preview For Developers (or other apps) vanished from app list and I can't reinstall or unistall
    A: Use Storage Sense to unistall the app

Q: Can I restore original apps?
    A: Sure! Unistall and reinstall the target app

OTHER TROUBLESHOOTING
    > Remove/unistall the app from the app list within your phone
    > Be sure that in Storage Sense default location for app storage is INTERNAL MEMORY
    > Deploy the app with "Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1" (the 8.1 is relly important, the name may change, don't use 8.2, 8.0 or without numbers). Some Visual Studio versions have multiple deployers included, use the 8.1 version.

Glossary
    • Swapper: CustomWPSystem app
    • App target: The first/second party app to patch (Preview For Developers for example)
    • Homebrew XAP: the dev-made XAP that you can patch to target apps (CutomPFD for Example)

Thanks to everyone that is related with this project ;)
    There seems to be a popular misconception that ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES gives access to the registry. It does not! IntoperServices enables access to a few things, of which the most generally-relevant are the ability to call into Windows services, often including drivers, using Windows' RPC functionality and/or using IOCTLs (DeviceIoControl API, used for calling into drivers). This can give the impression that InteropServices gives high-privilege access to the registry / the file system, because those services often run as SYSTEM (full privileges) and some of them expose APIs for editing the registry and the file system. A significant amount of WP homebrew has relied on such services for all high-privilege tasks. However, such services are not available on all phones, and unless they are part of the OS they must be customized for each line of phones. The ones that give registry access, for example, are always OEM-specific; Samsung has them, but Nokia does not. This means that apps which use InteropServices to call into services to make registry changes *will not work* on phones without those specific services, even if the app gets ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES on the new phone!

Much of the recent focus in homebrew apps have been on using capabilities that give partial registry access. Unlike WP7, where InteropServices was pretty much the only (official) way to get enough privileges to write into the registry or most of the file system, WP8 has a fine-grained privilege-and-capability model where a large number of capabilities exist that give partial access to specific things. Preview For Developers (P4D) has ID_CAP_RUNTIME_CONFIG, which is a capability available to OEMs (and, of course, to Microsoft) that gives an app access to basically all the places a mobile operator might want to tweak the OS, such as configuring the Internet Sharing feature, adding accent colors, or customizing the text in the status bar. For practical use, it is much more valuable across the whole WP8 family than ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES is. In general, an app without Runtime_Config will probably not have as much access to the registry as one that has it, although it may have access to different *parts* of the registry that an app with Runtime_Config but nothing else interesting (such as P4D) may not have.

It's worth looking for apps with an interesting combination of capabilities, but InteropServices by itself isn't that interesting. There are actually a lot of first-party and OEM apps with that one - Skype has it, or did last I checked - but we don't have a very good use for it right now except on Samsung phones.
    Version 0.7 available! Every detail is available within the first post ;)
    Hey! The 0.6 is available.
    Now you can use extras and infos as target app
    Remember to install the app to SD card

> put date > 2150 years (to be sure)
    > open extras and infos, confirm to remove
    > Open Storage Sense and choose SD card as default place to put apps
    > Download extras and infos (there's a direct link within the app
    Good work firend !! :)
    probably today I release my tool ROMRebuilder and complement the functionality CWS ;)