Post Reply

Thumbs up Tutorial: Install Windows Phone 8 SDK on Windows 7 the Easy Way

OP compu829

27th August 2013, 09:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 246
 
290 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2006
More
Hey All,

I have made a modified installer for the Windows Phone 8 SDK that will run on Windows 7 x64. I installed visual studio before I installed the SDK, but it shouldn't matter as this will install visual studio express for windows phone, if needed.

To install the SDK, perform the following:

1. Download the Windows Phone 8 SDK iso file. You can get it at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Link...34&clcid=0x409
2. extract the contents of the ISO to the location of your choosing.
3. Download the modified "WPexpress_full.exe" that is attached to this post and use it to replace the one in the iso.
4. run setup as normal.

Everything will install and work.*
*I was getting an error when I launched the "Application Deployment" app. Once I updated Visual Studio 2012 to Update 3, it fixed it. EVERYTHING WORKS!!

Just wanted to add everything works 100%...I was able to recompile and deploy some xaps I wrote on my win 8 PC to my phone with no issues!
Attached Files
File Type: zip WPexpress_full.zip - [Click for QR Code] (620.3 KB, 21297 views)
Last edited by compu829; 29th August 2013 at 07:48 PM.
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to compu829 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th September 2013, 06:01 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by compu829

Hey All,

I have made a modified installer for the Windows Phone 8 SDK that will run on Windows 7 x64. I installed visual studio before I installed the SDK, but it shouldn't matter as this will install visual studio express for windows phone, if needed.

To install the SDK, perform the following:

1. Download the Windows Phone 8 SDK iso file. You can get it at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Link...34&clcid=0x409
2. extract the contents of the ISO to the location of your choosing.
3. Download the modified "WPexpress_full.exe" that is attached to this post and use it to replace the one in the iso.
4. run setup as normal.

Everything will install and work.*
*I was getting an error when I launched the "Application Deployment" app. Once I updated Visual Studio 2012 to Update 3, it fixed it. EVERYTHING WORKS!!

Just wanted to add everything works 100%...I was able to recompile and deploy some xaps I wrote on my win 8 PC to my phone with no issues!

Hi,

Would this work on a Windows 7 32bit ? if not is there a way you can make another patch to make it compatible with Win7 32bit?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Future_soft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th September 2013, 07:28 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 246
 
290 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_soft

Hi,

Would this work on a Windows 7 32bit ? if not is there a way you can make another patch to make it compatible with Win7 32bit?

Thanks

right now it will only work with Win7 x64 as the developer tools require it to function properly.
8th September 2013, 03:46 PM   |  #4  
M1cky's Avatar
Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 17
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Yeah a 32 bit version would be nice. As running via VMware is a little too time consuming for me liking!
12th September 2013, 05:22 PM   |  #5  
Gampanat's Avatar
Member
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 29
 
76 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
It did not work for me... Windows 7, 64-bit system.
I get an error after the installation has gone for a while.

(Screenshot attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Namnlös.jpg
Views:	8309
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	2252802  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gampanat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th September 2013, 10:59 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Won't work for me.. it installs (after installing Visual Studio manually first), but the XAML Interface Builder crashes.
19th September 2013, 08:22 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Flag Grenoble
Thanks Meter: 2
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
I've successfully installed the SDK on my Windows 7 x64 PC after installing and updating zune and .net framework 4.5. Every softwares are working with the visual studio update 3.
But I don't have succeed to register my ativ s phone because the Windows Phone Developer Registration program is unable to connect the phone. The screen is not locked, I don't have sd card, I try to change name, usb port, without firewall, with date+hour manual. The "Windows Phone IP over USB Transport" service is working and I've installed and uninstalled several times drivers of the phone. When I connected it to pc, windows installed two drivers: for the USB and for the phone but it failed to install a third one for Windows phone 8? Is it useful? not sure because I can discuss and navigate without problems with the windows phone 8 program for windows 7 without problems.

Any suggestions to make my ativ s recognized by the registration programm on windows 7?
Last edited by organite; 19th September 2013 at 08:34 AM.
7th October 2013, 01:25 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I'm getting this error:

A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Any hints?
The Following User Says Thank You to linusplus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th October 2013, 09:34 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 246
 
290 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2006
More
@Gampanat I would try installing Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 first.

The sequences I went through were:
1. install Visual Studio 2012.
2. Install the SDK.
3. The tools wouldn't work...(I forget what the error was)
4. Update Visual Studio 2012 to Update 3.
5. all tools worked great.

When I had to rebuild my Windows 7 box, I did the following:
1. Install Visual Studio 2012
2. Install Visual Studio 2012 Update 3.
3. Install the Windows Phone 8 SDK.
4. Everything "just worked" using this sequence.

@th0mas96
In your case, make sure Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 is installed.

@organite Weird...it worked fine for my HTC 8x on Windows 7 x64. I'd check your internet connection and make sure the tool can get out to the servers ok.

@linusplus make sure your date and time are correct on your system before installation. If it is, try setting the date on your system back to Sept 1, 2013, unplug/disable Internet, and try installing again in offline mode.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to compu829 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th October 2013, 04:47 PM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
Clock Certificate Error
Quote:
Originally Posted by linusplus

I'm getting this error:

A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Any hints?

Change the System Date to 1 september in your computer.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
sdk, windows phone sdk, wp8
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Windows Phone 8 General by ThreadRank