Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 41,586 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Upper Case Lower Case - What is the case?
This was in the 3,000 page whitepaper dumbass! 2 40.00%
Meh, so what? 1 20.00%
Cool. I'll use it. 1 20.00%
Sweet find broseph! 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Little trick when typing text (saves time!)

Tip us?

Jiancarlo
Old
(Last edited by Jiancarlo; 23rd August 2014 at 09:00 AM.) Reason: my picture URLs broke.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Talking Little trick when typing text (saves time!)

I don't know when this feature was enabled, I'd like to think it was an 8.1 update, but i can't be sure.
i've searched this forum to see if anyone has pointed it out, apologies if they have but i couldn't see a thread or note on it...

So, typing a text or email on the phone. sometimes you go back and edit what you have written and some words had a capital letter and some need to have a capital letter after the edit.

Rather than backspacing or deleting the whole word, i've noticed that if you select the word, simply cycle through the 'auto-capitalisation' on or off or whole word capital by simply tapping the function key that would normally raise or lower the letter's case.

See pictures.
http://gadgetsovercoffee.com/wp-cont...40810_0001.jpg
http://gadgetsovercoffee.com/wp-cont...40810_0002.jpg
http://gadgetsovercoffee.com/wp-cont...40810_0003.jpg
http://gadgetsovercoffee.com/wp-cont...40810_0005.jpg

Tell me to go away if this is a **** find. LOL
Jiancarlo

hello@gadgetsovercoffee.com
www.gadgetsovercoffee.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiancarlo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
No, that's actually a pretty cool find! It does indeed require a recent OS version, though. Not sure which one.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djamol
Old
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
Lol, it is since from Windows Phone 8 when it is launched.

This trick also know to my little brother & he is 7 year old.. lolol

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
... No, it definitely is not, @djamol. I tested it in both the messaging hub and in OneNote. Highlighting a word and tapping the Shift key does *not* alter the word on WP8.0 GDR 3.

Could be something language or region-specific, but I doubt that if they had such a feature since release it would *not* have been available for US or Canadian phones.

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

djamol
Old
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
... No, it definitely is not, @djamol. I tested it in both the messaging hub and in OneNote. Highlighting a word and tapping the Shift key does *not* alter the word on WP8.0 GDR 3.

Could be something language or region-specific, but I doubt that if they had such a feature since release it would *not* have been available for US or Canadian phones.

My dear brother, it is works from 8.0 gdr1. *BUT* it was only for messaging hub and few support for some apps.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
Realllly. Let's see:

Keyboard: English (United States)
None of the keyboard settings suggest anything like this feature; the closest I can see is "Caitalize the first letter of a sentence" and that one is enabled.

Phone language: English (United States)
Country/Region: United States
Regional format: United States (English)
Browser & search language: English (United States)

OS version: 8.0.10532.166
(This is 8.0 GDR3 + the pre-8.1 update)

The feature, as described (select a completed word, tap the Shift button to toggle the capitalization options) does not and never has worked on this phone. That includes in the Messaging hub, which was the first place I tested.

So... is it the language or region settings? Am I misunderstanding how the feature works, such as because "simply tapping the function key that would normally raise or lower the letter's case" doesn't actually mean "simply tapping the Shift key"? Is there some other explanation that I'm missing? Or are you wrong about what version this feature was first available in? Anybody *else* have any idea?

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:

VSparxx
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Realllly. Let's see:

Keyboard: English (United States)
None of the keyboard settings suggest anything like this feature; the closest I can see is "Caitalize the first letter of a sentence" and that one is enabled.

Phone language: English (United States)
Country/Region: United States
Regional format: United States (English)
Browser & search language: English (United States)

OS version: 8.0.10532.166
(This is 8.0 GDR3 + the pre-8.1 update)

The feature, as described (select a completed word, tap the Shift button to toggle the capitalization options) does not and never has worked on this phone. That includes in the Messaging hub, which was the first place I tested.

So... is it the language or region settings? Am I misunderstanding how the feature works, such as because "simply tapping the function key that would normally raise or lower the letter's case" doesn't actually mean "simply tapping the Shift key"? Is there some other explanation that I'm missing? Or are you wrong about what version this feature was first available in? Anybody *else* have any idea?
This feature is introduced with WP 8.1 , Djamol is just confused.

rahulchowdhury
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
I think we have this feature from Windows Phone 8, been seeing this from a long time.

VSparxx
Old
Thanks Meter 15
This wasn't present before 8.1 , I mean not all of this, some shortcuts were present but with 8.1 they definitely added more.

compu829
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Looks like this showed up on my HTC 8x. It has Windows Phone 8.1 (Not Update 1). 8.10.12400.899