How to DeBrick a Lumia/My fun with flashing firmware

Did this thread help you?

• Yes, the OP was enough to slove my problem.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I posted below for more help.

• Yes, later posts in thread helped.

• Total voters
Search This thread

wcomhelp

May 1, 2012
Calgary
Got a Nokia Lumia stuck at cogs, black background Nokia logo, Red background Nokia logo, or lightening bolt and gear or no/blank screen?

This guide will tell you how to fix all of these. Once a step has fixed your problem do not continue!

Abbreviations
NCS = Nokia Care Suite
PST = Product Support Tool

Step 1) CHARGE THE PHONE to 100% battery. This can fix many issues without a need to go further.

Step 2) Press and hold volume down and power until vibration occurs.

Step 3) Still stuck? If you now have a black background Nokia logo OR a blank/no screen WAIT for 10 minutes before trying again.

Step 4) Remove the SD card (if you have one) and try Step 2 again
Warning in the proceeding steps we will be flashing firmware to the phone. This is for experts only! If you have a stuck phone and are not an expert take your phone to a NokiaCareCenter (Europe) or a Microsoft Store (Everywhere else)

Step 5) Download and install Nokia Care Suite (during install deselect “Multi Software Updater” we don’t use it)

Step 6) Download and install Data Package Manager

Step 7) Download UserGroupsConfiguration.cfg

Step 8i) If on a 64-bit machine,
Copy UserGroupsConfiguration.cfg to:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Data Package Manager\bin"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0"

Step 8ii) If on a 32-bit machine,
"C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Data Package Manager\bin"
"C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0"

Step 9) Find your product type and product code if you don’t know them look them up.

Step 10) Run Nokia Care Suite and double-click on Data Package Manager. A window will pop up called "Login to NOL", click on “Work offline”. A second window will pop up called "Work offline", click on “OK”.

Step 11) Click on File->Work offline, a window will pop up called "Login to NOL" make sure Login group is “Nokia Care servers” Click “OK”

Step 12) Fill in your product type and product code click on “Search” then “Download Select”

Step 13) Close Data Package Manager and double-click on Product Support Tool in NCS

Step 14) A window will pop up called "Login to NOL", click on “Work offline”.

Step 15) Click on File->Preferences and make PST stay offline.

Step 16) Click on File->Open Product

Step 17) Type in your product type (digits behind RM)

Step 18) Programing->Recovery->Start

STEPS 19-21 are very important!! They must be followed to the letter!

Step 19) Turn off the power of your phone. (If you can’t just hold power volume down until vibration occurs)

Step 20) Now plug your phone into your computer and immediately

Step 21) Hold power and volume down until vibration and click “retry” when you see the Nokia logo with black background. The timing is finicky so try a few times before proceeding to the next step. If you get “Rebooting…” you have passed this step.

Step 22) You only need to do this once. Open device manager and verify the driver for your phone is “Nokia Emergency Connectivity” if not use update driver to make it the driver for NOKIA FLASH

Step 23) If you got an error like “Message send failed” Try clicking on “start” if you get the “retry” popup go back to Step 21, however if you get an error after it says “Rebooting…” again, try “start” a few more times before proceeding to the next step.

Step 24) Ok this is a bit tricky: Turn on hidden devices in device manager. Now watch in device manager. To change this driver you must not be getting the “retry” popup anymore. Now right click the USB Phone device that is connected and change the driver to “2014 Nokia USB Connectivity”

Goto Step 23) Everything worked for me from there.

Good Luck! Happy Flashing! :)

Here is a link to a guy who made a more complete tutorial

Last edited:
Reactions: okizen and Hritwik

DilanChd

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2012
Paris
And as I say here:
Such your tutorial does not change of mine (the process is the same), it is not really useful having create this thread. Moreover, Microsoft has updated WPRT that allow unbrick the bricked devices.

With all due respect, what is the interest of creating yet another thread using as base my original tutorial ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2515453 )? As there has THE tutorial, there is no need to create another using the same procedure.

Reactions: okizen

wcomhelp

May 1, 2012
Calgary
Difference

And as I say here:

With all due respect, what is the interest of creating yet another thread using as base my original tutorial ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2515453 )? As there has THE tutorial, there is no need to create another using the same procedure.

Sorry I had not read your tutorial. I got the info off a French site MONWindowsPhone

The difference is that with your tutorial someone could spend over 12 hours trying to get the timing right with the retry, as well as the fact that in my guide I explain that you need to change the drivers. Just keep in mind I am writing about my personal experience not trying to copy your tutorial. I will put a like to your tutorial but I want to make it clear that your tutorial would not fix the problems I mentions at the start of my OP.

Last edited:

DilanChd

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2012
Paris
@wcomhelp

The tutorial that is posted on MonWindowsPhone is done by myself. Moreover, on MWP, I changed the tutorial method and is now used Windows Phone Image Designer. As I am French, I started posting it there and then translate it into English here.

But the question is not, as to whether or not you have copied. It does not matter to me.

I just wanted you to understand that the process of your tutorial is the same as mine, except one/two steps. That therefore there is no need to create yet one tutorial. However, with my tutorial, there is no need to change drivers, it works perfectly, except for black screen (JTAG request). So that's a duplicate, and if everyone does like you, it shod duplicates of duplicates of duplicates, etc.

ØyvindH

Jul 22, 2015
Thanks

Follwed this how-to yesterday, and succeeded in bringing my 930 back to life. Many thanks to the authors.

wcomhelp

May 1, 2012
Calgary
Hope more people can use it. ;)

Sent from Board Express on my Nokia Lumia 1020. Best phone ever!!
Note to noobs: DON'T PM ME WITH QUESTIONS. POST IN THE FORUMS. THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE HERE FOR!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got a Nokia Lumia stuck at cogs, black background Nokia logo, Red background Nokia logo, or lightening bolt and gear or no/blank screen?

This guide will tell you how to fix all of these. Once a step has fixed your problem do not continue!

Abbreviations
    NCS = Nokia Care Suite
    PST = Product Support Tool

Step 1) CHARGE THE PHONE to 100% battery. This can fix many issues without a need to go further.

Step 2) Press and hold volume down and power until vibration occurs.

Step 3) Still stuck? If you now have a black background Nokia logo OR a blank/no screen WAIT for 10 minutes before trying again.

Step 4) Remove the SD card (if you have one) and try Step 2 again
    Warning in the proceeding steps we will be flashing firmware to the phone. This is for experts only! If you have a stuck phone and are not an expert take your phone to a NokiaCareCenter (Europe) or a Microsoft Store (Everywhere else)

Step 5) Download and install Nokia Care Suite (during install deselect “Multi Software Updater” we don’t use it)

Step 6) Download and install Data Package Manager

Step 7) Download UserGroupsConfiguration.cfg

Step 8i) If on a 64-bit machine,
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Data Package Manager\bin"
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0"

Step 8ii) If on a 32-bit machine,
    "C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Data Package Manager\bin"
    "C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0"

Step 9) Find your product type and product code if you don’t know them look them up.

Step 10) Run Nokia Care Suite and double-click on Data Package Manager. A window will pop up called "Login to NOL", click on “Work offline”. A second window will pop up called "Work offline", click on “OK”.

Step 11) Click on File->Work offline, a window will pop up called "Login to NOL" make sure Login group is “Nokia Care servers” Click “OK”

Step 12) Fill in your product type and product code click on “Search” then “Download Select”

Step 13) Close Data Package Manager and double-click on Product Support Tool in NCS

Step 14) A window will pop up called "Login to NOL", click on “Work offline”.

Step 15) Click on File->Preferences and make PST stay offline.

Step 16) Click on File->Open Product

Step 17) Type in your product type (digits behind RM)

Step 18) Programing->Recovery->Start

STEPS 19-21 are very important!! They must be followed to the letter!

Step 19) Turn off the power of your phone. (If you can’t just hold power volume down until vibration occurs)

Step 20) Now plug your phone into your computer and immediately

Step 21) Hold power and volume down until vibration and click “retry” when you see the Nokia logo with black background. The timing is finicky so try a few times before proceeding to the next step. If you get “Rebooting…” you have passed this step.

Step 22) You only need to do this once. Open device manager and verify the driver for your phone is “Nokia Emergency Connectivity” if not use update driver to make it the driver for NOKIA FLASH

Step 23) If you got an error like “Message send failed” Try clicking on “start” if you get the “retry” popup go back to Step 21, however if you get an error after it says “Rebooting…” again, try “start” a few more times before proceeding to the next step.

Step 24) Ok this is a bit tricky: Turn on hidden devices in device manager. Now watch in device manager. To change this driver you must not be getting the “retry” popup anymore. Now right click the USB Phone device that is connected and change the driver to “2014 Nokia USB Connectivity”

Goto Step 23) Everything worked for me from there.

Good Luck! Happy Flashing! :)

Here is a link to a guy who made a more complete tutorial
    And as I say here:
    Such your tutorial does not change of mine (the process is the same), it is not really useful having create this thread. Moreover, Microsoft has updated WPRT that allow unbrick the bricked devices.