What Do You Do with All of Your Old Photos?

Smartphone cameras have advanced so tremendously over the past few years that they have … more

Diving into the April 2015 Material Design Update

Before the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the Holo Design guidelines served as the … more

New Cyanogen Partnerships Bring Privacy Concerns

New Privacy concerns have emerged regarding Cyanogen’s latest announcements, … more

PSA: Google Play Services Wakelock Affects Many 5.x ROMs

Wakelocks are the bane of the battery conscious, and this wakelock bug has been … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

I'm an iPhone 5 guy and got a Nokia Lumia 521 and posted impresions

11th May 2013, 11:26 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

104 posts
I recently got hooked up with the T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 and I am very impressed. I am really liking Windows Phone 8, I never thought I would. It's fresh, clean, modern, no wonder Apple is rumored to be taking some of it's feature and bring them to iOS 7. I think the Lumia 521 is a steal at $129, you get 4G, Windows Phone 8, no contract, and while I know the build of higher-end Lumia's are nothing close to the Lumia 521, I am living it. Wanted to share my first impressions, wtc.. not trying to promote myself, lol, if I'm not supposed to post links let me know and I'll remove it.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/90...tract-free.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeg815 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

13th May 2013, 07:16 AM |#2  
Flag Spokane, WA
Thanks Meter: 236

1,370 posts
More
Nice review. Only criticisms I can think of are a typo right at the beginning and you talked about WP8 on the whole about as much as you talked about the phone you were reviewing. It felt like an OS review AND a phone review. Dunno if that's a bad thing but it stuck out to me.

Wish that phone wasn't sold out everywhere though. Freakin great deal for a decent smartphone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to TJBunch1228 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th May 2013, 09:14 AM |#3  
Flag Greer, SC
Thanks Meter: 206

689 posts
More
Thanks for the quick review. I'm thinking about picking this up tomorrow if I can find one. I've been wanting to try out a windows phone for a while, but didn't want to spend a lot of cash.

This will be fun to have along side my note 2.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
14th May 2013, 11:27 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

104 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBunch1228

Nice review. Only criticisms I can think of are a typo right at the beginning and you talked about WP8 on the whole about as much as you talked about the phone you were reviewing. It felt like an OS review AND a phone review. Dunno if that's a bad thing but it stuck out to me.

Wish that phone wasn't sold out everywhere though. Freakin great deal for a decent smartphone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, it was my first time using Windows Phone 8 and I guess I focused on the OS since I was really impressed with it, and typo fixed. It's not sold out everywhere, HSN has it for $149, also wrote about that:

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/90...tphone-hsn.htm

You are 100% right, it's a GREAT deal for a decent smartphone. It's making me want a higher end Lumia now though, lol. I also wish there were more popular apps. One of my favorite iOS and Android apps I use is the free Pocket app. I've been "trying" Read Later. Hopefully more popular cross platform apps make their way to Windows Phone. I currently have an iPhone 5 on Verizon and think the Lumia 521 is a great spare phone, especially since i miss being able to use unlocked phones now and switching sim cards.
29th May 2013, 11:02 PM |#5  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 142

599 posts
More
Good review.

I managed to obtain one of these from my local Wal-Mart. It's a really good deal, if not the screaming bargain a lot of people are saying. They cut costs and features intelligently.

Mostly, I like the sturdy design and the way it fits together. I don't think I'll even get a proper case for it, although I might look around for a simple sleeve.

I used an X-acto knife and cut down one of my SIMs (I have three prepaid accts.) to micro-sim size. The result was so-so and I had to fidget with the SIM position (powered off, then retry) several times to make it to work. I wised-up and paid a local vendor to punch out my 'main' SIM. That one works much better ...word to the wise.

Windows Phone 8 is mostly good. Feels a bit unfinished. Task-management is weird. Built-in music player is odd; if I can figure out a good choice I'll pay for an alternative. Live tiles don't always update in a timely fashion. That might be the app developers fault.
Last edited by danny8; 29th May 2013 at 11:13 PM.
21st June 2013, 04:50 AM |#6  
Flag Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 3

53 posts
More
Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by busab

Thanks for the quick review. I'm thinking about picking this up tomorrow if I can find one. I've been wanting to try out a windows phone for a while, but didn't want to spend a lot of cash.

This will be fun to have along side my note 2.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

I have a galaxy note ll which is a complete powerhouse. Its running the pacman rom which is similar to cyanogen. I Love it. I just bought one of these lumia 521's though. Its on its way in the mail. =) Looking forward to having an extra phone lying around. I work as tech support, so owning a windows phone will help me with t/s as well
The Following User Says Thank You to PR0XIDIAN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2013, 03:40 AM |#7  
Flag Greer, SC
Thanks Meter: 206

689 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0XIDIAN

I have a galaxy note ll which is a complete powerhouse. Its running the pacman rom which is similar to cyanogen. I Love it. I just bought one of these lumia 521's though. Its on its way in the mail. =) Looking forward to having an extra phone lying around. I work as tech support, so owning a windows phone will help me with t/s as well

I never did get the 521. Have you gotten yours yet? What are your thoughts?

I'm running jedi master x14 right now on my note 2. I haven't tried pacman yet. I usually switch back and forth between jedi and liquid smooth.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
1st July 2013, 01:41 AM |#8  
Flag North Jersey
Thanks Meter: 559

1,299 posts
More
just got one
Hi guys. I am coming from a gNex with JB- running flapps unofficial and a Note i717 running Avatar 4.2.2 with a UCMD3 baseband. Both of these were not tmobile phones and I run a t-mobile sim on the $30/100min monthly 4g. I usually switch of phones depending what size I want to carry.

When tmobile got the iphone 5 I was tempted to give apple another chance, but then rumors were abundant for the 5s or the 6 coming out soon. Plus I don't want to go on contract- yes, even the no contract is sort of a contract- unofficially till you pay off the phone.So I held off.

Then I saw this lumia windows 521 and I just got a windows 8 touch screen computer. So for Walmarts price, I bought one. I have been playing with it on Ptel for 2 days, and have just punched my tmo sim and put that in. Just ran a speedtest. Blew me away. 18-20 mbps down, and 3-5 up. Wow. That doubles my best on the Note.

I was looking for a smaller phone but with the 4 inch screen. This is working out pretty well. It's about the size of an iphone 3gs with a bigger screen. I am sorting out windows phone 8. Totally different from iOS and android which I have been using steadily for 2 years.

I think the build quality is fine.

Pros
1.Screen is very clear and bright and responsive. I turned the response to low and it still works great. - the font can be made large enough read
texts and emails easily. I love the large screens but not the large phones. Nice compromise.
2. fits well with a good weight in the hand
3. the cover is easily removed and replaced with a replaceable battery and an sd card slot for up to 64 gb
4. I haven't found it lacking for apps that I need- For android I have so much junk on my phone it's nice to only have good ones.
5. My google contacts easily copied as well as my google calendar appts. But the included calendar is so small on the month view it is difficult to read them. Daily is just fine though.
6. Battery life seems incredible. It's down to 79% after 24 hours of use. With data on. Very little use though.

Cons
1. You can add rings tones for calls, but not for sms and notifications. Don't know about alarms yet.
2. Can't put apps on sd card- just internal 8gb worth of space. They did come out with " lumia storage check" app which allows you to put maps on the sd card.

That's as far as I got with the cons. I will use for a couple days and edit.
Last edited by sashusmom; 1st July 2013 at 05:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sashusmom For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st July 2013, 11:34 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 12

297 posts
I came from the note 717 and galaxy s2x. I was looking at the 520 which is similar to the 521. After much debate, I got the Samsung ativ s. I love windows phone, its fast and polished. Having office is a great help too.

Sent from my Samsung Ativ S using Tapatalk
1st July 2013, 05:31 PM |#10  
Flag North Jersey
Thanks Meter: 559

1,299 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve adams

I came from the note 717 and galaxy s2x. I was looking at the 520 which is similar to the 521. After much debate, I got the Samsung ativ s. I love windows phone, its fast and polished. Having office is a great help too.

Sent from my Samsung Ativ S using Tapatalk

Contract or non? How much compared to the 521? 521 was $130 off contract- compatible with any carrier.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread