Ask a question

No registration required

2g or wifi

OP musteky

26th August 2014, 02:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I wonder what is the connection that uses more battery, 2g or wifi.
I only use the internet to update the app lockmix, then the 2g enough for me, but I was wondering which spends more battery if it is 2g or wifi
26th August 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,782

5,862 posts
More
2G uses very little power in the background, but it's very slow so transferring much data over it will use a lot of power because the radio will need to be on constantly.
WiFi uses a significant amount of power even on standby - that's why WP8 defaults to turning WiFi off when the screen is off - but it's probably worth using when available if your only other option is 2G.

BTW, are you sure you meant 2G? That's archaic; 3G has pretty much entirely replaced it and 4G is become more and more common.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2014, 11:58 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I only use the internet on your phone to update the lockmix application (for screen lock), the 2g is enough. I have to have an active connection, my doubt is on wifi or 2g due to battery consumption. my wifi router this to 2/3 meters away and have speed of 30 mb.
26th August 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #4  
Account currently disabled
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 95

135 posts
Donate to Me
More
But obviously, battery drain's on 2G network, & no issue about Wi-Fi distances, but it also drain's down when background searching & attempt to connect to the network at multiple times.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread