OP filfat

23rd August 2014, 10:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Mellerud
Thanks Meter: 6

54 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi, so the other day my USB contact broke on my 920 which forced me to switch to a SGS4 while waiting for to get fixed, which made me think about the possibility to port WP to new hardware, in this case specifically the SGS4.
So I was just wondering what we would have to do for Windows Phone to boot on the S4? I know C, C++, C# (plus some more languages which aren't relevant to this idea).

I mean they got WP7 to boot on the HD2 so its not *impossible* right?
23rd August 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #2  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 603

710 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by filfat

Hi, so the other day my USB contact broke on my 920 which forced me to switch to a SGS4 while waiting for to get fixed, which made me think about the possibility to port WP to new hardware, in this case specifically the SGS4.
So I was just wondering what we would have to do for Windows Phone to boot on the S4? I know C, C++, C# (plus some more languages which aren't relevant to this idea).

1) However it's VERY HARD.
2) If your S4 has Exynos you can forget about WP.
3) HD2 is almost a SINGLE positive example.

Porting such close-source OS to other device is a LEGENDARY task. Too much work.
The Following User Says Thank You to -W_O_L_F- For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 10:53 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Mellerud
Thanks Meter: 6

54 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -W_O_L_F-

1) However it's VERY HARD.
2) If your S4 has Exynos you can forget about WP.
3) HD2 is almost a SINGLE positive example.

Porting such close-source OS to other device is a LEGENDARY task. Too much work.

Yes I understand that porting WPA would be above "a hard task" however, I'm still interested in seeing where we are stuck. I don't expect to be able to do anything but getting a better understanding of the scene will help drastically in understanding what I need to learn to be able to accept such a task

Also, I mean WPA in general so 7 would work to learn more about
23rd August 2014, 11:04 PM   |  #4  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 603

710 posts
More
Quote:

Yes I understand that porting WPA would be above "a hard task" however, I'm still interested in seeing where we are stuck. I don't expect to be able to do anything but getting a better understanding of the scene will help drastically in understanding what I need to learn to be able to accept such a task

Also, I mean WPA in general so 7 would work to learn more about

You need to write bootloader and all drivers for HW. And you don't have SDK for it.
23rd August 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #5  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Wheeling, WV
Thanks Meter: 539

895 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Please search before posting (rule #1). This is one of the many, "Hey can we port Android to WP because of similar hardware?". These questions have been asked numerous times and many threads have been opened with the same subject... The explanation of the difficulty has been given multiple times.

With that said, I'll be closing this thread.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread