Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 42,611 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to filter/block ads

Tip us?

the gladiator
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] How to filter/block ads

Is there a way to filter or block ads in the apps ? In android is possible to mod a hosts file through apps such as AdAway or AdFree; has WP8 something similar ?

djamol
Old
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gladiator View Post
Is there a way to filter or block ads in the apps ? In android is possible to mod a hosts file through apps such as AdAway or AdFree; has WP8 something similar ?

No !!!

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
You can edit the HOSTS file with an interop-unlocked phone. There's no current way to do it on a phone without interop-unlock, though.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

BlackSilverGT
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Eye to change the host file First, as gooddaytodie says you need to interop and then enable full access to get full access to system folders. .. I have tried to edit the file to remove the ads from app but then I found myself with 3g and wifi not working.. So I thought I'd put the original file but are no longer able to replace it because Microsoft protected.. I had to Flash the full partition. Informed well before modifying it

winphoneuser
Old
Thanks Meter 3
It`s not the way with Windows Phone 8, but anyway. I`m using my router Netgear router to block the ads. Of cource it will work only when you`re connected to your Wi-Fi spot (or LAN with PC, Laptop or any other Ethernet-compatible thing).
Sorry for my English

the gladiator
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
I appreciate the information you gave me (and to the forum). A big thanks to GoodDayToDie who gave some hope and a "grosso grazie" to BlackSilverGT for the heads-up.

GoodDayToDie, could you please elaborate a bit your answer in order to avoid what happened to BlackSilverGT ? The alternative would the work-around suggested by winphoneuser

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
I have no explanation for what happened to @BlackSilverGT, so I can't promise how to avoid it. I used an app which moves files via CRpcComponent (rather than using the full access via MTP hack) but I have modified the HOSTS file that way, and it works. Maybe the problem was the *particular* modifications you made? I wasn't trying to block ads or anything like that, just intercepting traffic from an app. The tool I wrote for the purpose was a one-off and I seem to have deleted it, but I have a more general-purpose file editing utility under development.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]