No registration required

[Q] Restore Phone to a New One / Accessing Data From Broken One

OP holzmaster

29th July 2014, 09:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi,

my the screen of my 925 just got broken. The screen is not usable anymore. It is able to connect to the PC via USB and is vibrating when new notifications come in, so it might only the the display that doesn't work anymore. Also, my alarm clock keeps ringing because I can't turn it off.

I'd buy a new one, but I'm in the fear of not getting access to my data (WhatsApp history and stuff) ever again.

Is there a way to backup the phone with the broken screen and restore it to the new one? Or is there basically any way to get my data off the phone? Any OEM-Software that can do something like that?
Also, which data is actually getting backed up by the WP backup functionality? I don't think the app storage is a part of that (meaning the WhatsApp history and MS Authenticator).

I would actually physically open the broken device. AFAIK the entire phone storage is on a SD card inside. But I wouldn't open up my new phone. I don't know whether the data on the internal SD card is encrypted or not, so I don't know whether I can access the data on my PC or not.

Any idea what to do?
Last edited by holzmaster; 29th July 2014 at 10:30 AM.
31st July 2014, 09:28 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,782

5,862 posts
More
The data will be encrypted if you've connected it to any email accounts (typically corporate ones) with that requirement. It's possible there's other protections on the actual storage though; I don't know about that. I know that at least some phones use soldered storage (not an even semi-removable embedded uSD) but am not sure about the 925.

It's possible to get the data off using JTAG, but that requires a tricky bit of wiring and some fairly expensive equipment.

It's possible for WP8.1 apps to back up their data automatically (actually, it's possible for any app to do so, but WP8.1 added a way for an app to have the OS do it for you) but if your data hasn't already been getting backed up, you're in a tricky situation. You could use a screen broadcaster tool (that displays your phone's screen on your PC) but you'd need to launch it blind...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread