Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,556 Members 42,715 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Trouble with compilation in Store in Windows Phone 8

Tip us?

jhcastellanos
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Trouble with compilation in Store in Windows Phone 8

I'm presenting a problem. I have built an application that has Win32 libraries that do not belong to the subset that has in common with WinRT. From my computer I can deploy the application and working properly. But when I go to the store my application is compiled with WinRT preventing several of the features work correctly.

In turn, the problem that would be working blind because we would never know from the development environment if we are building the application works perfectly until published in up tent.

Is there any chance from the development environment that I can detect which libraries would not work once compiled into the store?

Greetings ... Jorge

FloatingFatMan
Old
Thanks Meter 536
What development environment are you using? Assuming it's Visual Studio, you can't use Win32 libraries on a WP app, so how are you managing to do that?

Aren't you doing test builds to the emulator?
No stupid giant pics here! Just two lines of text!
Current Devices: Nokia Lumia 930, ASUS T100TA Convertible Tablet
The Following User Says Thank You to FloatingFatMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jhcastellanos
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingFatMan View Post
What development environment are you using? Assuming it's Visual Studio, you can't use Win32 libraries on a WP app, so how are you managing to do that?

Aren't you doing test builds to the emulator?
Unfortunately is neccesary to use these Win32 libraries to this app,... I'm using Visual Studio 2013 with Windows Phone 8 SDK.... so I could detect where is those assemblies... but the problem is that it is ignorance which are all native Windows assemblies that are not compiled for WinRT and there is no way for the development environment I have this problem and this means that if I am going to develop an app for X platform, that development environment should not let me use something that is not available for that platform, some of that has to exist for this problem, or at least if I let him use it when testing will have to display errors or exceptions; I can not wait for it to install the store to see if it works properly or not

Hence arise two questions I would appreciate help to find possible solution ...

1. exist this solution from the development environment to tell if it will be problems once used to give possible assemblies conflict with WinRT ???

2 There is a way to tell VS that the app you are going to do is to WinRT ??? perhaps with a more modern version ??? and with that and solve the problem from the same environment ???

Best regards and thanks repeated

FloatingFatMan
Old
Thanks Meter 536
I still don't get how you're doing this. When you build your app, you select the target platform, if you select ARM and have calls to Win32 API in there, it won't even compile...

How can you not know what Win32 call's you're making?

jhcastellanos
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingFatMan View Post
I still don't get how you're doing this. When you build your app, you select the target platform, if you select ARM and have calls to Win32 API in there, it won't even compile...

How can you not know what Win32 call's you're making?
Unfortunatelly it compiles with ARM and run in the device too....

I know these Win32 calls of course, for example:

IsolatedStorageSettings, XDocument.Save ..... and others....

I have found the changes that I can do to resolv the problems...

But the problem is that I need to know if exists a way to detect through Visual Studio or another way wich assemblies or calls can give errors, or raise exceptions... Is a blind development for example:

I develop an app with different assemblies, into these assemblies there are 2 assemblies that can not be compatible with WinRT, when I compile with ARM there no raise errors or exceptions, but when I up to the store and when I install in my device from this store, I discover that this have these problems with the assemblies.

I'm concerned with that because is so strange...

Grettings

jhcastellanos
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Also if you have a list with some assemblies of Win32 that are uncompatible with WinRT ... i will be gladded with your help

Grettings...

FloatingFatMan
Old
Thanks Meter 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcastellanos View Post
Also if you have a list with some assemblies of Win32 that are uncompatible with WinRT ... i will be gladded with your help

Grettings...
I suggest familiarising yourself with MSDN.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../br205757.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to FloatingFatMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
Have you tried just uploading your .XAP to the store? The store doesn't actually compile anything; they never see your source code.

Out of curiosity, *how* are you calling Win32 libraries that aren't part of the phone SDK? Did you use dll2lib and link them at built time? Use a hack to get the entry point of LoadLibrary and load them at runtime? Use DllImport from .NET code?

Also, not sure why you're talking about IsolatedStorageSettings. That's not a Win32 API at all; it's a Silverlight (.NET) one that is available on Silverlight for Windows Phone since the 7.0 release.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.