Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

WP8 MDM: how to hack?

OP sensboston

2nd September 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 426

1,497 posts
Donate to Me
More
After enrolling my Lumia 920 to the corporate Exchange email, new MDM (mobile device management) policies are applied to my phone. It's OK but company administrator(s) set the unlock password (pin) expiration time too short. Every damn month I should choose and remember a new pin... And I can not use the old pins (or I don't know what is the time for "clearing" my old passwords).

Do you know/could you suggest any tricks/hacks to get around this situation? I want to reuse my old pins.
3rd September 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #2  
Flag Frankfurt a.M.
Thanks Meter: 12

84 posts
More
Hey Dude,
I don't think that you can do anything. And this is not the correct thread for such questions.
In the MS World the recommended value for reusing old passwords is 24 so after 2 years
(if 4 weeks was choosen) you can use the first one again.
3rd September 2014, 06:33 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA

1,497 posts
Donate to Me
More
Why do you think it's an incorrect forum? This forum is about "hacking", and I need a hack. It's definitely not a "Q&A" or "General" forums question...
3rd September 2014, 08:48 PM   |  #4  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Wheeling, WV
Thanks Meter: 526

880 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hmmm this WOULD fall under the Q&A because it is technically asking a how-to although it involves hacking. Typically the threads under the Development and Hacking are threads that start projects with the hopes of hacking instead of asking how to. With that said, I'll move that over there for now and if there is some development that comes out of this, it can be renamed and moved back to Development and Hacking.
3rd September 2014, 11:49 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,769

5,818 posts
More
If you have a registry editor, it's pretty easy to tweak those settings. Unfortunately, you're on a Lumia so right now that's not possible (we're working on it!)

The only other option I can think of right now is to try intercepting the communication between the phone and the corporate server. Exchange ActiveSync uses HTTPS, so any standard HTTPS proxy (like Fiddler or Burp Suite) should work. You may need to set the proxy to use a client certificate (if one was provided for your phone), and you definitely need to install the proxy's certificate on the phone (so the phone trusts it to spoof the corporate server). Anyhow, once you have interception set up, it should be pretty easy to modify the policy rules that get pushed down.

In either case, though, the changes will only last until the next time the phone checks its policy rules. I don't know how often that happens - it *might* even be only at initial enrollment, in which case if you un-enroll and then re-enroll you should be fine - but it could be a problem.
4th September 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #6  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA

1,497 posts
Donate to Me
More
GoodDayToDie, thanks for reply. Could you remind me: is it possible to just read values from registry on the Lumia handsets? At least I want to know value of the DevicePasswordHistory settings (according to this article).

[UPDATE] I installed Fiddler's root certificate on the phone, and able to catch & decode https traffic; however there is nothing about provisioning xml in the content, account synchronization produces 3 https requests, first response is a short binary data, second contains an email body (or header) etc. , no xml at all. Looks like MDM policies are applied only on service discovery (I should google for that). Will try to remove this Exchange account and add it again. By the way, I'm not very familiar with the Fiddler: can I change https XML response on the fly?
Last edited by sensboston; 4th September 2014 at 05:13 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread