[GUIDE] How to ROOT & UNROOT Mi3 on MIUI V5 AND V6

Search This thread

Kapiljhajhria

May 3, 2011
gurgaon
This ROOT method is for INDIAN or GLOBAL version ONLY. If you want to try it on any other version try it at your OWN RISK. most of the Mi3 ROMs are GLOBAL version. but CHINESE and TD version are different. so don't try to root those two version with this method.
Check the version of your ROM and download the rooting file accordingly.

ROOTING MI3 ON MIUI v6.3.9.0​
(more detailed and neat text will follow as soon as i get some time. this is just rough draft)

i searched a lot and found out that there were so many users who were facing bootloop issue on most of the rooting mehtods. this is by far the best method (or file) that i fiud and i have tested it two times and i haven't faced any issue at all.

steps from 1 to 4 are exactly same like on MIUI v5. just apply "update.zip" from settings-update menu (see the remaining post for more detailed instructions with pics)

after that you need to reboot

and then reboot again but in recovery. flash super su zip.

after that you need to download and install super su from play store. or just install it from the super su zip by opening it and locating supersu apk.

video is being uploaded as we speak. it will take some time for the video to upload as my internet connection is slow and video size is almost 1gb.
i am uploading "update.zip" and sharing link to super su zip right now.

update.zip is in the attchments below and and you can also download it from google drive from HERE(Having issue while uploading on xda. Will try again later. Download from google drive for now. )

download super su zip from HERE

ROOTING MI3 ON MIUI v5​

TO ROOT

1. Download the root file according to your ROM version

2. Got to Settings > Select General Setings > scroll at the bottom and select ABOUT PHONE
bca2482ca1e5f9c127ed6a1ba21c0476.jpg

dd9746ba52e98a19cf206e268141cd97.jpg

3.Select SYSTEM UPDATE
0a703c255e8a5b14b77202e13a85f08d.jpg

4.Select UPDATE PACKAGE and choose the downloaded file and let it apply the UPDATE and wait for REBOOT.

AFTER REBOOT

5. Go to APP DRAWER and open SECURITY app
4641a1dad9e1c2d2e6db844e05d44f95.jpg

6. Select PERMISSION
2758ec49f78e50c2f6e27895fab2c3c2.jpg

7.ENABLE ROOT PERMISSION

Your Mi3 is Now rooted.

UNROOT​

To UNROOT
Simply download the appropriate version zip and apply it.
OR
1. Go to SECURITY app

2. Open PERMISSIONS tab and DISABLE "ROOT PERMISSION"

3. Download the unroot file according to your ROM version

4. Got to Settings > Select General Setings > scroll at the bottom and select ABOUT PHONE

5.Select SYSTEM UPDATE

6.Select UPDATE PACKAGE and choose the downloaded file and let it apply the UPDATE and wait for REBOOT option. Reboot

Your phone is now back to STOCK and you can now update your phone using OTA updates.

DOWNLOADS (Mirror)​

IMPORTANT NOTES (MUST READ)

NOTE 1: Rooting and unrooting doesn't result in loss of any data. I have rooted and unrooted version 18 and then again rooted version 23 without any data loss. However always make a backup of your important data before doing any such stuff. Just to be on safer side.

NOTE 2: for some people rooting breaks OTA UPDATES but for some it doesn't. To update your phone you can simply unroot it and update it and root it again. Doesn't take much time to unroot.

NOTE 3 : developer ROM is not available for all countries. That's why this method is used for for rooting.

NOTE 4 : This method only roots your device. It doesn't flash any custom recovery.

NOTE 5 : About warranty. Like i said developer version doesn't void warranty but rooting does. Not all Mi4 version have developer version ROM. AFAIK only two version of MI3 has developer ROM. Global version has no developer ROM.

NOTE 6 : if unrooting will get you your warranty back? All depends on how much the xiaomi will dig into your phone to avoid giving you warranty. Even the files you delete are not always deleted from your phone. Its pretty easy to get most of them back or know what you had stored on your device. Lot of stuff like that. But i am pretty sure XIAOMI won't go james bond over your device to keep you from claiming warranty. Lot of people even with rooted and custom ROM claim warranty. You just need to be smart enough to know how.

DIsclaimers

SOURCE
This source is for Philippines Forums but as WCDMA Philippines, WCDMA India, WCDMA HK, WCDMA Taiwan, WCDMA Singapore and WCDMA Malaysia uses same ROM version and have same BUILD NUMBER. it works on Indian and other same builds. personally tested these files on my INDIAN MI3 for v15, v18 and v23, rooting and unrooting. To check for yourself you can visit the official MIUI website here (http://en.miui.com/download-101.html#166) and see for yourself.

once again rooting procedure is not my work. just hsaring what is available on public domain. rooting of MI3 on MIUI v6.3.9.0 source can be found here

ALSO this is not my work. This is the simplest method that i have found so far to ROOT Mi3. I tried to search it here on XDA forums, didn't found it. So i shared it. If anyone has any objection or i am breaking any RULES do let me know so i can act accordingly. :good:

Attachments

• root_V32.0_1_.zip
    195.2 KB · Views: 2,371
  • unroot_V32_1_.zip
    195.2 KB · Views: 845
  • Root_V34.0.zip
    195.2 KB · Views: 25,426
  • Unroot_V34.zip
    195.2 KB · Views: 12,098
Last edited:

mandarpalshikar

Feb 3, 2008
Will this method do a data wipe? Can I apply this package for rooting without worrying about data loss?

Thx in advance.

kllmoon

Sep 26, 2009
Wow why make simple complicated??? Just go to miui website and download developer ROM. There's even instructions on there to tell you how to install. Once done, you're rooted.and ROM gets updated every 2 weeks or so.

Just make sure to choose right ROM for your phone (wdcma for me ). ;)

Last edited:

Kapiljhajhria

May 3, 2011
gurgaon
Re: [GUIDE] How to ROOT Mi3

Wow why make simple complicated??? Just go to miui website and download developer ROM. There's even instructions on there to tell you how to install. Once done, you're rooted.and ROM gets updated every 2 weeks or so.

Just make sure to choose right ROM for your phone (wdcma for me ). ;)
Developer ROM version is not available for all countries. Its only available for one or two versions. All other countries have no developer version. Will have to check to make sure but i think global version has no developer version and only Chinese version ROM has developer version. All version except chinese and TD have the same updates and same version number. And those version have no developer ROM available.

mandarpalshikar

Feb 3, 2008
one thing i nogiced is after flashing this zip, when i go to settings-->about phone --> system updates i dont get msg saying i am on latest version which i earlier used go get. So am not entirely sure if OTA will now work or not. Help please. Hitting the check for updates button doesnt help either .. screen just flashes and back to the screen.

Sent from my MI 3W using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

got answer to my above query in one of the notes in op thread.
Waiting for unrootimg files to check if OTA works.

shreyasgk

Jun 15, 2013
Mangalore
Unrooting

The rooting procedure did work as you said ... But my Ota updater has stopped working... Please let us know the unrooting procedure... THANK YOU :good:

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

one thing i nogiced is after flashing this zip, when i go to settings-->about phone --> system updates i dont get msg saying i am on latest version which i earlier used go get. So am not entirely sure if OTA will now work or not. Help please. Hitting the check for updates button doesnt help either .. screen just flashes and back to the screen.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

got answer to my above query in one of the notes in op thread.
Waiting for unrootimg files to check if OTA works.

same thing is happening with me...found the unroot 23 zip file in one of the thread but there is no procedure explained....so waiting :eek:

melander

Dec 31, 2011
Parañaque
The rooting procedure did work as you said ... But my Ota updater has stopped working... Please let us know the unrooting procedure... THANK YOU :good:

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

same thing is happening with me...found the unroot 23 zip file in one of the thread but there is no procedure explained....so waiting :eek:

to unroot, go back to permissions then turn off root
launch updater app then select the update package for unroot
reboot
done

i have rooted my phone. but m not able to move any apk to system/app... anyone having the same issue??

use root explorer or es file explorer

Kapiljhajhria

May 3, 2011
gurgaon

Procedure is quite simple. Thread updated with it and source.

i use root explorer ... its still the same issue..
can anyone tell me which rooting process actually work?
i am using other ROOT apps like adaway and titanium backup. have not tried moving any apps to system folder. will try and let you know. But if other ROOT apps are working then i guess it has nothing to do with ROOT method.

Reactions: poran123

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This ROOT method is for INDIAN or GLOBAL version ONLY. If you want to try it on any other version try it at your OWN RISK. most of the Mi3 ROMs are GLOBAL version. but CHINESE and TD version are different. so don't try to root those two version with this method.
    Check the version of your ROM and download the rooting file accordingly.

ROOTING MI3 ON MIUI v6.3.9.0​
    (more detailed and neat text will follow as soon as i get some time. this is just rough draft)

i searched a lot and found out that there were so many users who were facing bootloop issue on most of the rooting mehtods. this is by far the best method (or file) that i fiud and i have tested it two times and i haven't faced any issue at all.

steps from 1 to 4 are exactly same like on MIUI v5. just apply "update.zip" from settings-update menu (see the remaining post for more detailed instructions with pics)

after that you need to reboot

and then reboot again but in recovery. flash super su zip.

after that you need to download and install super su from play store. or just install it from the super su zip by opening it and locating supersu apk.

video is being uploaded as we speak. it will take some time for the video to upload as my internet connection is slow and video size is almost 1gb.
    i am uploading "update.zip" and sharing link to super su zip right now.

update.zip is in the attchments below and and you can also download it from google drive from HERE(Having issue while uploading on xda. Will try again later. Download from google drive for now. )

download super su zip from HERE

ROOTING MI3 ON MIUI v5​

TO ROOT

1. Download the root file according to your ROM version

2. Got to Settings > Select General Setings > scroll at the bottom and select ABOUT PHONE
    bca2482ca1e5f9c127ed6a1ba21c0476.jpg

dd9746ba52e98a19cf206e268141cd97.jpg

3.Select SYSTEM UPDATE
    0a703c255e8a5b14b77202e13a85f08d.jpg

4.Select UPDATE PACKAGE and choose the downloaded file and let it apply the UPDATE and wait for REBOOT.

AFTER REBOOT

5. Go to APP DRAWER and open SECURITY app
    4641a1dad9e1c2d2e6db844e05d44f95.jpg

6. Select PERMISSION
    2758ec49f78e50c2f6e27895fab2c3c2.jpg

7.ENABLE ROOT PERMISSION

Your Mi3 is Now rooted.

UNROOT​

To UNROOT
    Simply download the appropriate version zip and apply it.
    OR
    1. Go to SECURITY app

2. Open PERMISSIONS tab and DISABLE "ROOT PERMISSION"

3. Download the unroot file according to your ROM version

4. Got to Settings > Select General Setings > scroll at the bottom and select ABOUT PHONE

5.Select SYSTEM UPDATE

6.Select UPDATE PACKAGE and choose the downloaded file and let it apply the UPDATE and wait for REBOOT option. Reboot

Your phone is now back to STOCK and you can now update your phone using OTA updates.

DOWNLOADS (Mirror)​

IMPORTANT NOTES (MUST READ)

NOTE 1: Rooting and unrooting doesn't result in loss of any data. I have rooted and unrooted version 18 and then again rooted version 23 without any data loss. However always make a backup of your important data before doing any such stuff. Just to be on safer side.

NOTE 2: for some people rooting breaks OTA UPDATES but for some it doesn't. To update your phone you can simply unroot it and update it and root it again. Doesn't take much time to unroot.

NOTE 3 : developer ROM is not available for all countries. That's why this method is used for for rooting.

NOTE 4 : This method only roots your device. It doesn't flash any custom recovery.

NOTE 5 : About warranty. Like i said developer version doesn't void warranty but rooting does. Not all Mi4 version have developer version ROM. AFAIK only two version of MI3 has developer ROM. Global version has no developer ROM.

NOTE 6 : if unrooting will get you your warranty back? All depends on how much the xiaomi will dig into your phone to avoid giving you warranty. Even the files you delete are not always deleted from your phone. Its pretty easy to get most of them back or know what you had stored on your device. Lot of stuff like that. But i am pretty sure XIAOMI won't go james bond over your device to keep you from claiming warranty. Lot of people even with rooted and custom ROM claim warranty. You just need to be smart enough to know how.

DIsclaimers

SOURCE
    This source is for Philippines Forums but as WCDMA Philippines, WCDMA India, WCDMA HK, WCDMA Taiwan, WCDMA Singapore and WCDMA Malaysia uses same ROM version and have same BUILD NUMBER. it works on Indian and other same builds. personally tested these files on my INDIAN MI3 for v15, v18 and v23, rooting and unrooting. To check for yourself you can visit the official MIUI website here (http://en.miui.com/download-101.html#166) and see for yourself.

once again rooting procedure is not my work. just hsaring what is available on public domain. rooting of MI3 on MIUI v6.3.9.0 source can be found here

ALSO this is not my work. This is the simplest method that i have found so far to ROOT Mi3. I tried to search it here on XDA forums, didn't found it. So i shared it. If anyone has any objection or i am breaking any RULES do let me know so i can act accordingly. :good:
    Will this method do a data wipe? Can I apply this package for rooting without worrying about data loss?

Thx in advance.
    No data is lost. I have tried it on my dad's Mi3. No data was lost during rooting and unrooting. But always make a backup before doing such stuff as you never know what might go wrong.
    install root explorer then modify the build.prop just do not change the version numbers, save your changes, reboot phone.

Rooting the Stable build is actually explained on this thread:
    http://en.miui.com/thread-20694-1-1.html

The zip file that you flash via updater app has 2 scripts on it.
    One script changes the version number so that the smartphone "thinks" that its firmware is a developer version and unlocks stock ROOT.
    The other script adds SU to the system folder /system/xbin

v23 root file is already added. check the OP at the bottom. two files for downloading one for v18 and one for v23.

Procedure is quite simple. Thread updated with it and source.

i use root explorer ... its still the same issue..
    can anyone tell me which rooting process actually work?
    i am using other ROOT apps like adaway and titanium backup. have not tried moving any apps to system folder. will try and let you know. But if other ROOT apps are working then i guess it has nothing to do with ROOT method.