Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,560 Members 53,454 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How To backup Mediatek [MTK] device

Tip us?
 
rajit
Old
(Last edited by rajit; 22nd March 2014 at 03:51 PM.)
#1  
rajit's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 626
Posts: 491
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: kolkata

 
DONATE TO ME
Plug How To backup Mediatek [MTK] device

How to Make a full backup ROM for MT6592,MT6589, MT6582, MT6577, MT6575, MT6572, MT6516 phones. This is basically for all MTK phones from MediaTek.

This is also a great way to share your firmware with someone who may need the stock ROM for their bricked phone. Or if you're the bricked one, you can direct someone with the same phone as you to this tutorial so they can prepare their ROM for you.

Important: Make sure to accept any SuperSU or SuperUser permission requests your phone may ask for while you're doing these steps. Any firewall requests your PC may have installed, also allow.

The tutorial will show you how to:

Quote:
- make a full backup of your ROM (firmware)
- make the ROM firmware ready for SP Flash Tools
What you need:

Quote:
- A rooted MTK phone

- BusyBox (can be downloaded from Google Play)

- MTK Droid Tools v2.5.0 Download Here

- ADB drivers Download Here or Here(so your computer can communicate with your rooted phone)
A) Prepare your phone and get the utilities we'll need

Quote:
1. Enable debugging mode on your phone. From your homescreen, tap the Menu button > Settings > Development. Tap 'Debug Mode' and make sure it's checked.

2. Install BusyBox. Go to Google Play and search 'BusyBox' and install.

3. Install PDANet ADB Drivers. Download from here. Run the download and follow the instructions. A USB cable is required to connect your phone to your PC. After installing the drivers, keep your phone connected.

4. Download MTK Droid Tools 2.5.0 and extract to a known location on your PC.
B) Open ADB prompt to begin communication with the phone

Quote:
1. Go into the extracted MTK Droid Tools folder from step 4 and right-click on 'MTKdroidTools.exe'. Select 'Run as administrator'.

2. Wait several seconds while MTK Droid Tools communicates with your phone. You'll eventually see the main screen come up with all of your phone's information. Look in the bottom left hand corner of the main window, you should see a green square. If it's yellow, you can try to click the 'root' button in MTK Droid Tools to get temporary root shell. If this doesn't work, and you've already got CWM, alternatively you can boot into CWM and then the little square should be green.
C) Read back the ROM with MTK Droid Tools

Quote:
1. Go back to the main menu of MTK Droid Tools and select the 'Root, Backup, Recovery' tab.

2. Click the 'Backup' button. You will see MTK Droid Tools start to read all the data from your phone Smile. This can take awhile. So let it do it's thing. Have a coffee, whatever.

3. After it's finished reading back the ROM, another window will pop up asking you if you'd like to compress the image. Better to select 'Yes'. This will save space and make it into one tight package. MTK Droid Tools will then pack it up into a zip and then let you know it's finished.
İmage
D) Prepare the data from MTK Droid Tools for SP Flash Tools

Quote:
1. In the MTK Droid Tools 'root, backup, recovery', you will a button that says 'To prepare blocks for Flash Tool'. Click it.

2. A new explorer window will open directly to the backups folder that MTK Droid Tools made. Select your phone's backup folder. It will look something like *your phone*-backup-YYMMDD. Open this folder.

3. Inside your phone's backup folder, you will see a file called 'files.md5'. Select this and the process will start Smile

4. This will take a while. Go have another coffee or shot of whiskey, smoke a joint. Whatever your like.

5. After it's finished, open the folder where you extracted MTK Droid Tools. There you will see a folder called 'backup'. Open this folder, then open the folder for your phone (*your phone*-backup-YYMMDD). There will be a folder called '!Files_to_FlashTool'. That's the folder to use for flashing with SP Flash Tools! Smile


This Guide can be Found on Chianaforums, but i poste specialy becuse of many Q700/Q700i users still unkown from this

Credit:-
Quote:
@yuweng , @rua1 still don't know who is the developer of this app, if anything missing PM me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backup_jpg2.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	2633508   Click image for larger version

Name:	flashtool.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	2633514  
 


__________________________________________________
Buy a Beer For ME !
__________________________________________________
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rajit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rajit
Old
#2  
rajit's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 626
Posts: 491
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: kolkata

 
DONATE TO ME
Please rate the thread 5stars For support And Press thanks Too
 


__________________________________________________
Buy a Beer For ME !
__________________________________________________
The Following User Says Thank You to rajit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
KieranFoot
Old
#3  
KieranFoot's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 45
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochdale
Rather not thank you for a guide that's been done a hundred times already.

Sent from my A1-810 using XDA Premium HD app
Tablet: Acer Iconia A1-810
ROM: DUH! Stock OFC!
Rooted: Pfffft! Need you ask!
 
rajit
Old
#4  
rajit's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 626
Posts: 491
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: kolkata

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranFoot View Post
Rather not thank you for a guide that's been done a hundred times already.

Sent from my A1-810 using XDA Premium HD app
i know here and there lots of,,

but i think you woun't read the the last few lines
 


__________________________________________________
Buy a Beer For ME !
__________________________________________________
 
KieranFoot
Old
#5  
KieranFoot's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 45
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochdale
Ok, I'm going to avoid flaming, but shouldn't you have just posted a link to the original with a statement saying you had found it helpfull...

I'm all for information dispersal, but just copying annoys me.

Also, on a rooted device, I wouldnt use MTKDroidTools/SPFlashTool, I'd just use dumchar, dd and gzip to do it on the command line.

Also, it's bad advice to use the root function of MTKDroidTools as it will soft brick S-On devices.

Sent from my A1-810 using XDA Premium HD app
Tablet: Acer Iconia A1-810
ROM: DUH! Stock OFC!
Rooted: Pfffft! Need you ask!
 
rajit
Old
(Last edited by rajit; 16th March 2014 at 02:43 PM.)
#6  
rajit's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 626
Posts: 491
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: kolkata

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranFoot View Post
Ok, I'm going to avoid flaming, but shouldn't you have just posted a link to the original with a statement saying you had found it helpfull...

I'm all for information dispersal, but just copying annoys me.

Also, on a rooted device, I wouldnt use MTKDroidTools/SPFlashTool, I'd just use dumchar, dd and gzip to do it on the command line.

Also, it's bad advice to use the root function of MTKDroidTools as it will soft brick S-On devices.

Sent from my A1-810 using XDA Premium HD app
i don't have any regret that what i am doing ,, if you don't think its helpful or coped then use the Report button and END this conversion
 


__________________________________________________
Buy a Beer For ME !
__________________________________________________
 
KieranFoot
Old
(Last edited by KieranFoot; 16th March 2014 at 02:46 PM.)
#7  
KieranFoot's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 45
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochdale
Here is how to backup your device for those more interested in how it works.

Now, let me say before we begin that this won't be as simple as using MTKDroidTools to create the backup, but as we will read and compress as we go using a gzip stream, it should be faster.

Before the backup can be made you need to find out a bit of information about your device, you will need to find the partition table layout from either dumchar_info or the scatter file distributed inside android update/rom packages.

Here is my dumchar_info (/proc/dumchar_info) from my Acer Iconia A1-810 (MTK6589i) device.


Code:
preloader    0x0000000000c00000   0x0000000000000000   2   /dev/misc-sd
mbr          0x0000000000080000   0x0000000000000000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
ebr1         0x0000000000080000   0x0000000000080000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
pmt          0x0000000000400000   0x0000000000100000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
pro_info     0x0000000000300000   0x0000000000500000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
nvram        0x0000000000500000   0x0000000000800000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
protect_f    0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000000d00000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
protect_s    0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000001700000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
seccfg       0x0000000000020000   0x0000000002100000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
uboot        0x0000000000060000   0x0000000002120000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
bootimg      0x0000000000600000   0x0000000002180000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
recovery     0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000002780000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
sec_ro       0x0000000000600000   0x0000000003180000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
misc         0x0000000000080000   0x0000000003780000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
logo         0x0000000000300000   0x0000000003800000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
expdb        0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000003b00000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
android      0x0000000040000000   0x0000000004500000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
cache        0x000000002bc00000   0x0000000044500000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
usrdata      0x000000033a220000   0x0000000070100000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
bmtpool      0x0000000001500000   0x00000000ff3f00a8   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
As you can see it gives you the block device used for the partition and the size and start of the position on that device.

Sent from my A1-810 using XDA Premium HD app
Tablet: Acer Iconia A1-810
ROM: DUH! Stock OFC!
Rooted: Pfffft! Need you ask!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KieranFoot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
abhinav2hd
Old
#8  
abhinav2hd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 815
Posts: 358
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: ✰✰✰✰✰✰✰
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranFoot View Post
Here is how to backup your device for those more interested in how it works.

Now, let me say before we begin that this won't be as simple as using MTKDroidTools to create the backup, but as we will read and compress as we go using a gzip stream, it should be faster.

Before the backup can be made you need to find out a bit of information about your device, you will need to find the partition table layout from either dumchar_info or the scatter file distributed inside android update/rom packages.

Here is my dumchar_info (/proc/dumchar_info) from my Acer Iconia A1-810 (MTK6589i) device.


Code:
preloader    0x0000000000c00000   0x0000000000000000   2   /dev/misc-sd
mbr          0x0000000000080000   0x0000000000000000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
ebr1         0x0000000000080000   0x0000000000080000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
pmt          0x0000000000400000   0x0000000000100000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
pro_info     0x0000000000300000   0x0000000000500000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
nvram        0x0000000000500000   0x0000000000800000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
protect_f    0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000000d00000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
protect_s    0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000001700000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
seccfg       0x0000000000020000   0x0000000002100000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
uboot        0x0000000000060000   0x0000000002120000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
bootimg      0x0000000000600000   0x0000000002180000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
recovery     0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000002780000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
sec_ro       0x0000000000600000   0x0000000003180000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
misc         0x0000000000080000   0x0000000003780000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
logo         0x0000000000300000   0x0000000003800000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
expdb        0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000003b00000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
android      0x0000000040000000   0x0000000004500000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
cache        0x000000002bc00000   0x0000000044500000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
usrdata      0x000000033a220000   0x0000000070100000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
bmtpool      0x0000000001500000   0x00000000ff3f00a8   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
As you can see it gives you the block device used for the partition and the size and start of the position on that device.

Sent from my A1-810 using XDA Premium HD app
dude.. Why to follow an odd and complicated backup method like yours when an easy tool like mtkdroidtool is available which can easily backup whole firmware and it is tested by several users which means it is reliable tool.
 
vampirefo
Old
(Last edited by vampirefo; 5th April 2014 at 03:57 AM.) Reason: Added info
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 123
Posts: 373
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranFoot View Post
Here is how to backup your device for those more interested in how it works.

Now, let me say before we begin that this won't be as simple as using MTKDroidTools to create the backup, but as we will read and compress as we go using a gzip stream, it should be faster.

Before the backup can be made you need to find out a bit of information about your device, you will need to find the partition table layout from either dumchar_info or the scatter file distributed inside android update/rom packages.

Here is my dumchar_info (/proc/dumchar_info) from my Acer Iconia A1-810 (MTK6589i) device.


Code:
preloader    0x0000000000c00000   0x0000000000000000   2   /dev/misc-sd
mbr          0x0000000000080000   0x0000000000000000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
ebr1         0x0000000000080000   0x0000000000080000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
pmt          0x0000000000400000   0x0000000000100000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
pro_info     0x0000000000300000   0x0000000000500000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
nvram        0x0000000000500000   0x0000000000800000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
protect_f    0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000000d00000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
protect_s    0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000001700000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
seccfg       0x0000000000020000   0x0000000002100000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
uboot        0x0000000000060000   0x0000000002120000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
bootimg      0x0000000000600000   0x0000000002180000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
recovery     0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000002780000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
sec_ro       0x0000000000600000   0x0000000003180000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
misc         0x0000000000080000   0x0000000003780000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
logo         0x0000000000300000   0x0000000003800000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
expdb        0x0000000000a00000   0x0000000003b00000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
android      0x0000000040000000   0x0000000004500000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
cache        0x000000002bc00000   0x0000000044500000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
usrdata      0x000000033a220000   0x0000000070100000   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
bmtpool      0x0000000001500000   0x00000000ff3f00a8   2   /dev/block/mmcblk0
As you can see it gives you the block device used for the partition and the size and start of the position on that device.

Sent from my A1-810 using XDA Premium HD app
Do you have a complete tutorial on how to do this? plus commands to restore? This would be great for us Linux users, I have two of these phones coming in from china and have zero desire to use windows to back up and restore a android device.

I think I got it figured out, wont know for sure until I get my phones to test.

Anyway basically I just

cat /proc/dumchar_info

this gives me partition info, from there I dd partition contents to sdcard, example below is to pull your recovery.img from the info you posted.

to pull eg backup

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/recovery.img bs=4096 count=2560 skip=10112

to restore

dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=10112
 
KieranFoot
Old
#10  
KieranFoot's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 45
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefo View Post
Do you have a complete tutorial on how to do this? plus commands to restore? This would be great for us Linux users, I have two of these phones coming in from china and have zero desire to use windows to back up and restore a android device.

I think I got it figured out, wont know for sure until I get my phones to test.

Anyway basically I just

cat /proc/dumchar_info

this gives me partition info, from there I dd partition contents to sdcard, example below is to pull your recovery.img from the info you posted.

to pull eg backup

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/recovery.img bs=4096 count=2560 skip=10112

to restore

dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=10112

Yup, that's right
Tablet: Acer Iconia A1-810
ROM: DUH! Stock OFC!
Rooted: Pfffft! Need you ask!

Tags
mediatek, rom backup, stock backup, stock rom backup, tools
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes