Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,698 Members 50,114 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tipo Dual BootLoop & Installation Order Question

Tip us?

hardikT
Old
(Last edited by hardikT; 2nd March 2014 at 12:47 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Tipo Dual BootLoop & Installation Order Question

Hello everyone. Please don't ignore the question just looking at the length. I think many newbies have these kinds of doubts. I have tried to explain as best and simple as I can.

I've recently got a Tipo Dual (st21i2). It had a Stock ROM installed in it. I wanted to remove it so I did following things in given order.

1. Rooted the phone with Bin4ry's Rootkit
2. Installed custom recovery CWM.
3. Took backup of original ROM

Then I wanted to install a new one ROM & Kernel, so next

4. Using CWM, installed Gimlo firmware & Gimlo ROM 2.0 as explained here. The new ROM was working properly.
5. I took a backup of this newly installed ROM, using CWM.

Then I wanted to install Vengeance Kernel from here. So I tried to install it by using Flashtool 0.9.14.0. Flashtool gave me an error "The phone must be rooted first". At that point I had already rooted my phone.

By doing a little Googling I found out that I had to unlock my bootloader to install custom kernel (I had a misconception that installing custom recovery unlocks the bootloader also).

6. So I successfully unlocked the bootloader using same Flashtool and unlock code from Sony's website. Then,
7. I installed the Vengeance Kernel (again using Flashtool). It installed successfully as per the log. And it installed TWRP recovery with it.

Then after restarting I have got a bootloop. It is stuck at boot animation (custom Xperia Z boot animation). Tried to remove battery and starting it after a while, tried keeping it off for a night, didn't work.

At this point I have the
a) Backup of old ROM
b) Able to load TWRP recovery.

So I'm in a safe place and I can restore my phone.
But still I want to use Vengeance Kernel with Gimlo.

So my questions are
1. Am I doing anything wrong?
2. I read while researching that the correct order of installation is Custom ROM --> Custom Kernel. Is it correct? If not then what should be the correct order?
3. I also read somewhere that after installing ROM --> Kernel, I have to flash the ROM again. Is it true?
4. Is there any better ROM-Kernel combination than the one I am using?
5. Can I solve the bootloop without having to Restore/Install again? (Maybe by wiping caches or any other option in recovery, I don't know what those functions actually do so I didn't try anything).

MatsPunt
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 691

DONATE TO ME
1. Are you sure Vengeance supports Gimlo?
2. If so, follow this procedure.
1. Make a backup of all your apps
2. Flash a stock ftf, the one Gimlo is based one(make sure you wipe data and cache in Flashtool)
2. Place Gimlo on your SD card.
3. Flash the Vengeance kernel.
4. Boot into recovery and flash the ROM. Follow the required installation procedure provided in the Gimlo thread.
5. Power off the phone an flash Vengeance again.
6. Boot into your system.

If you are sure Vengeance is based on stock and on the sane firmware a Gimlo, this procedure should do the trick.

Hope that helps!

Mats

Sent from my C1505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to MatsPunt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hardikT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for reply.

On Gimlo's thread
"it also supports both custom and stock kernels"

On Vengeance's thread
"Kernel is compatible with all stock JB/ICS based ROM's"

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Why I have to install stock tft --> Vengeance kernel first then again flash the Gimlo ROM --> Vengeance kernel?
Isn't it same as making a fresh install (of Gimlo over stock)? If it is, then what is the use of installing Stock tft first?

MatsPunt
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 691

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardikT View Post
Thanks for reply.

On Gimlo's thread
"it also supports both custom and stock kernels"

On Vengeance's thread
"Kernel is compatible with all stock JB/ICS based ROM's"

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Why I have to install stock tft --> Vengeance kernel first then again flash the Gimlo ROM --> Vengeance kernel?
Isn't it same as making a fresh install (of Gimlo over stock)? If it is, then what is the use of installing Stock tft first?
To be completely fresh. That's it.

If flashing the Vengeance kernel doesn't work while you are on Gimlo, this is your only option.

It may take a while, but when it's done, you finally have Vengeance

Mats

Sent from my C1505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app