Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 52,227 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Discussion | Android L on our Xperia L

Tip us?

Joery360
Old
(Last edited by Joery360; 26th June 2014 at 04:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 476

DONATE TO ME
Default Discussion | Android L on our Xperia L

Keynote

So, what do your guys/girls think?
I/O Keynote video

Andoid L preview site
  • Redesigned apps
  • Redesigned notification area
  • Redesigned lockscreen
  • Redesigned recents
  • ART runtime
  • Privacy controls
  • Better battery / more smoothness
  • Screen mirroring / casting

AndroidPolice I/O Android Articles
Keep | Rotation Lock | Roundup | Google Search | Drive | Play Services | Ad | BLE Health | Play Games | Slides | Enterprise Security | Gmail API | Fit | Preview Site | Screen Mirroring | Drive Apps | Privacy Controls | ART & 64bit | API | Hera | Mobile Search | Notifications | Android One | Android L

Screenshots
DialerLockscreen notficationsLockscreenDialer w/ recentsGMail
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joery360 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hnk1
Old
(Last edited by Hnk1; 25th June 2014 at 08:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 502
The debate is also at nexus 7 (2013). Many users are confused if this means we will get android L for xperia as well soon by merging codes/ etc.

More screenshots etc as well

To learn more, read first two pages :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53674063
Away till 13th September

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

DO YOU WANT A TUTORIAL/GUIDE THAT HAS NOT BEEN WRITTEN OR COULD BE EXPLAINED IN DETAILS PM ME AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY KNOWLEDGE

BUYING A NEW DEVICE. READ THIS GUIDE FIRST
CLICK HERE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hnk1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Joery360
Old
(Last edited by Joery360; 26th June 2014 at 10:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 476

DONATE TO ME
Holo got killed

Settings

Empu
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Android L on this phone? Maybe as a custom rom I could see it happening, because "officially" we're still stuck on 4.2.2 Jellybean, so if we haven't even made it to 4.3 Jellybean or 4.4 Kit Kat ...

david makarove
Old
(Last edited by david makarove; 27th June 2014 at 03:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 538
Deleted
Sent from my C2105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

varun.chitre15
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joery360 View Post
Holo got killed

Settings
Well that looks ugly.

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk
Official CyanogenMod Maintainer

Like my work? Please consider a donation via Paypal

Introducing ThunderZap Works - My own website for all of my works

Contributions

Sony Xperia L (Official CM | Kernel | Kernel control app) / Samsung Galaxy S Advance: (Custom ROM | Kernel) / Micromax A110 (ROM | Kernel) / Xiaomi Mi3 (Unofficial CM)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to varun.chitre15 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

primemonitor
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.chitre15 View Post
Well that looks ugly.

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk
I don't know.. I really like this flat and clean and kinda bright look of L . Personally, I really love what I've seen so far of the Material Design UI. Much better than Holo, imo, which I feel has become old-looking since quite some time now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to primemonitor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sudhamsu
Old
(Last edited by sudhamsu; 26th June 2014 at 05:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by primemonitor View Post
I don't know.. I really like this flat and clean and kinda bright look of L . Personally, I really love what I've seen so far of the Material Design UI. Much better than Holo, imo, which I feel has become old-looking since quite some time now.
I agree. The new design looks cleaner (maybe only a little more than holo) but its definitely feels more energetic! Got to give it to Google for redesigning the navbar buttons as well - it's a bold move considering that the new buttons are not as intuitive as the old ones, but I guess people have gotten used to the three ever-present buttons enough to change their look now. I also like that Google has finally included status bar and navbar coloring (as opposed to the transparent effect that could be employed in KitKat, which is also good depending on the app). On the same lines, Google is also providing the developers with a tool to extract prominent colors out of images to use them in corresponding layout etc. Overall, this is looks like a heavy overhaul and a (positive) shift in Android (also referring to One, TV, Wear, Auto, and other new things introduced today/yesterday).

primemonitor
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhamsu View Post
I agree. The new design looks cleaner (maybe only a little more than holo) but its definitely feels more energetic! Got to give it to Google for redesigning the navbar buttons as well - it's a bold move considering that the new buttons are not as intuitive as the old ones, but I guess people have gotten used to the three ever-present buttons enough to change their look now. I also like that Google has finally included status bar and navbar coloring (as opposed to the transparent effect that could be employed in KitKat, which is also good depending on the app). On the same lines, Google is also providing the developers with a tool to extract prominent colors out of images to use them in corresponding layout etc. Overall, this is looks like a heavy overhaul and a (positive) shift in Android (also referring to One, TV, Wear, Auto, and other new things introduced today/yesterday).
Those redesigned navbar buttons are probably the only UI change I feel on the fence about. I'm still not sure if I like them or not.
I agree that its a bold move redesigning them so radically and I appreciate this change, which shouldn't be a dealbreaker for most since, as you said, people are probably already used to the positions by now.
But I feel like they kind of don't fit with the new design as much as the other elements. Like they are too bold (or heavy? ) as compared to the flat design. Maybe I would've been on board more readily if they were a bit more.. timid, maybe?

And yes, this was a big event with lots major anouncements. Looks like Google is finally putting a lot more focus on integration and cohesiveness across multiple platforms and devices

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Any ideas when Android L will be released?

sudhamsu
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by primemonitor View Post
Any ideas when Android L will be released?
Probably in October/November. That has been their usual cycle for new Android devices/releases.