Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 52,205 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Force Network Selection

Tip us?

andys5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Force Network Selection

First of all, I have searched the forums extensively, and can't find a solution to this, however I may have missed something...

Basically, I am on EE in the U.K which means I can use either the T-Mobile or Orange networks, but my contract was with T-Mobile, so my phone always prefers to use that one. If I go into Network Selection, I see all the operators listed (T-Mobile has a picture of a house next to it) and I can chose Orange. It registers and everything works perfectly, for a few minutes. I assume the phone then realizes that T-Mob is available and jumps straight back to it, although I can go back in and choose Orange again, until it decides to change back.

The problem is basically that the T-Mob network is very busy where I live and although I get a perfect signal, I get ridiculous Internet speeds (despite being on H+), dropped/failed calls and text messages that can take upto 30 minutes to be received. If I am on Orange, I don't have these issues!

Anyone have any solution to this? I see a few threads on the issue in various devices, however none have a solution and most are quite old...

Navneet Suresh
Old
Thanks Meter 440
Smile HMm

Try changing Search settings to manual @andys5

Device : ASUS Nexus 7 32GB

My Works on XDA

uremytoy
Old
Thanks Meter 95
go to settings, network operators, and search mode change from automatic to manual
btw wrong section

ShinOrochiX
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Hi andys5

I am also in the UK with Three/3 & I have a similar issue. I don't receive calls & messages immediately, sometimes if someone messages me I receive the messages from anywhere between 30 minutes to a few hours later which is ridiculous. It is a similar case for calls, someone may try to call me but never get through (nor would I receive a call)-I would only find out hours later when they call again. My network coverage is fine in my area-I think it is the phone. Before the Xperia L I had the Live with Walkman which I never had problems with (no late calls/messages) in the same location with same network. I am sure it is the Xperia L which the problem resides with, may it be the hardware or firmware, I think it is the phone.

I must say that it is a pain at times, it doesn't happen all the time but it does occur often.
Previous Devices: Xperia X10 mini pro, Xperia X8, Xperia Live with Walkman & Xperia L.
Current: Xperia SP

Model: C5303
Android: 4.3 (stock)
Build version: 12.1.A.1.205
Kernel version: 3.4.0 (stock)
Baseband version: -20

andys5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Doesn't work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet Suresh View Post
Try changing Search settings to manual @andys5
Thanks for the reply. I have done this, however it doesn't work. It stays on manual, and my chosen network for anything up to a minute, then the settings change back to "Automatic" and it puts me back to the network I don't want to be on.

Very annoying.

Navneet Suresh
Old
Thanks Meter 440
Smile =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys5 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have done this, however it doesn't work. It stays on manual, and my chosen network for anything up to a minute, then the settings change back to "Automatic" and it puts me back to the network I don't want to be on.

Very annoying.
Contact your operator for further help i think they might help you ??

Device : ASUS Nexus 7 32GB

My Works on XDA