5,599,539 Members 40,522 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help! Fix same MAC address on two Xperia L's!

Tip us?

nakulp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Unhappy Help! Fix same MAC address on two Xperia L's!

In a real fix here! Me & my roomie are both having Xperia L. THe problem is that both have the same MAC ID shown in wifi-advanced menu,(ending in :FF I think)
This causes the router to conflict in assigning IPs and we face random drops & dead connections in wifi & manually reconnect to the network again & again after a few minutes the same occurs.
Both phones are rooted. He is on 4.1.2+some custom kernel & me on 4.2.2 + thunderzap latest.
I have already tried mac spoofer apps on play market but they always return -authentication error in wifi status after changing & no success on forgetting the wifi network & so on..thus need to change back to original MAC.
Is there a way to edit the MAC id in one of the system files - I know MAC is hardware coded but can I make some changes,maybe something 'can' be changed in the kernel or so? Please help!

So problem
Much confuse
Not wow
If you think the reply was helpful then the Thanks button is waiting!

Nokia 2600-> Nokia 5140i-> SE k510i-> LG KG195 -> SE Naite J105i -> Sony Ericsson x10 Mini -> Sony Xperia Sola -> Xperia L (current)
Acer A500 Tegra 2
ASUS K53SV- i5 2410m, Nvidia GT540M 2GB,WD 750GB,5GB DDR3 RAM, 3TB Seagate Expansion

paxy97
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Same thing for my brother and me. We have the xperia v both running CM11. Also tried mac spoofer and got the same thing
Don't forget to press the Thanks button

(I don't take credit for the picture)

nakulp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
*bump*

Nokia 2600-> Nokia 5140i-> SE k510i-> LG KG195 -> SE Naite J105i -> Sony Ericsson x10 Mini -> Sony Xperia Sola -> Xperia L (current)
Acer A500 Tegra 2
ASUS K53SV- i5 2410m, Nvidia GT540M 2GB,WD 750GB,5GB DDR3 RAM, 3TB Seagate Expansion

paxy97
Old
(Last edited by paxy97; 14th January 2014 at 12:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 311
Ok i found the solution.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2509456

Just note that you can use any mac address you want, you don't HAVE to use the 4 new ones from the 4 files. But be aware that if you choose to set it to a custom address they have to be the same except the last (or last 2 if you get over f) numbers. If the last two numbers FOR EXAMPLE of the first address are 38 then in the next address you have to change them to 39, then 3a (because they're hex) and the last 3b. If you didn't understand anything you can reply here or PM me I'll be glad to help

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paxy97 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nakulp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxy97 View Post
Ok i found the solution.

Just note that you can use any mac address you want, you don't HAVE to use the 4 new ones from the 4 files. But be aware that if you choose to set it to a custom address they have to be the same except the last (or last 2 if you get over f) numbers. If the last two numbers FOR EXAMPLE of the first address are 38 then in the next address you have to change them to 39, then 3a (because they're hex) and the last 3b. If you didn't understand anything you can reply here or PM me I'll be glad to help
Now test phone
Much appreciate
many thanks

Acer A500 Tegra 2

paxy97
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakulp View Post
Now test phone
Much appreciate
many thanks
Wow
Such doge
Much grammar

Rafael Aparecido Camilo
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxy97 View Post
Ok i found the solution.

it doesnt work for me... my xperia L has only 1 file in /data/etc named wlan_maccaddr0... and when i oppened the hex editor i couldnt find the mac listed as the image he posted...

did i do something wrong?

please help me

paxy97
Old
Thanks Meter 311
You can use any mac address. Just make sure that the last number is by one larger than the previous. Also know that these are hexadecimal numbers, so after 9 goes a. For example 18,19,1a,1b...1f,20,21...