Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,065 Members 40,791 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Updates for Bootloader unlocked phones.

Tip us?

Redzo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Question [Q] Updates for Bootloader unlocked phones.

Now I was under impression that phones where bootloader is unlocked and are rooted AND have different kernel (in my case Phantom kernel) do not receive OTA updates nor do they receive updates on Sony PC Companion.
To my surprise I have that annoying icon for OTA for latest firmware and update shows also on PC Companion as well ! Anomaly or did Sony eased up on their restrictions ?
Anybody else experienced this ?

BTW if there are more that are annoyed by that update icon solution is to go to settings->apps->all apps pick update center and clear it's cache.

przemek4113
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzo View Post
Now I was under impression that phones where bootloader is unlocked and are rooted AND have different kernel (in my case Phantom kernel) do not receive OTA updates nor do they receive updates on Sony PC Companion.
To my surprise I have that annoying icon for OTA for latest firmware and update shows also on PC Companion as well ! Anomaly or did Sony eased up on their restrictions ?
Anybody else experienced this ?

BTW if there are more that are annoyed by that update icon solution is to go to settings->apps->all apps pick update center and clear it's cache.
Ota is showing because you have phantom kernel.I have ota icon too on 1.14 fw.Your solution doesnt work for me, when you clear the app and run next time update center or restart the phone ota will show again.
Phone history:nokia 3310,nokia 6020,se k510i,samsung D900i,nokia 3110c,xperia x8,xperia mini pro sk17i,xperia l

Redzo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by przemek4113 View Post
Ota is showing because you have phantom kernel.I have ota icon too on 1.14 fw.Your solution doesnt work for me, when you clear the app and run next time update center or restart the phone ota will show again.
Ok thanks for clarification.
Regarding OTA icon sure and confirmed way of getting rid of it is using titanium and freezing update centre.

przemek4113
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzo View Post
Ok thanks for clarification.
Regarding OTA icon sure and confirmed way of getting rid of it is using titanium and freezing update centre.
I know, have done that few days back, but freezing apps on titanium works only when you paid for the full version
Phone history:nokia 3310,nokia 6020,se k510i,samsung D900i,nokia 3110c,xperia x8,xperia mini pro sk17i,xperia l

sherry_94
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Use Link2SD and freeze that....its free

Sent from my C2104 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app