[Guide] All you need to know to get Android Lollipop running on your Xperia L

Search This thread

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
You've stumbled across here because you're either a noob, or a very confused person, or ran across some errors that made you choose another ROM. (Or some random lurker) I've created this thread to make it as detailed and user friendly as possible. Anyways without further ado:

I will not be responsible for anything that happens to your device. Follow my instructions carefully, and everything should work fine. This thread is here inorder to prevent the constant reporting of misleading bugs due to a dirty or unorganized way of flashing roms.​

Instructions for installing Lollipop:

Requirements:

- Bootloader unlocked Xperia L
- USB cable for the phone
- A computer with flashtool installed along with the necessary drivers.

1. Download the latest version of CM12 or any other lollipop rom along with the Gapps package. I recommend that you use this (use 5.0x for CM12). Download Thunderzap 4.1 as well. (Don't ask why, but make sure you have this in your computer.) Place the ROM and gapps zip files in your SD card or internal storage.

2. The best way to install any custom ROM is to flash them coming from a stock rom. (Skip this step if you're already on stock 1.17) So if you're not on stock, go ahead and grab an FTF from my thread. (Latest version 1.17 - recommended) Flash the stock rom. If you don't know how to do that use this guide as a reference. Do NOT exclude anything.

3. Now you need to flash a custom kernel. To do this, locate and extract the thunderzap 4.1.zip you downloaded earlier on your computer. Then pull out (or copy it somewhere else) the bootjbcwm.img file. You'll need to flash this file via fastboot. If you know how to do that, skip the next step and proceed to step 5.

4. Power off your phone. Open flashtool and select the flash icon. Now hold the volume up button and plug in your Xperia L to your computer via USB. Select fastboot mode. Under "By DoomLoRD", select the option, "select kernel to flash". Now right above the open button you should see an arrow where it says *.sin. Select that and choose *.img. Locate the bootjbcwm.img file and select it. In a matter of seconds the kernel should be successfully flashed. Now turn on your phone, and hold the volume up button when the LED lights up. You have now entered CWM recovery.

5. Enter CWM recovery if you haven't. (when turning on your phone, and hold the volume up button when the LED lights up.) Once you're here select factory reset and select yes. Then select wipe cache, and under advanced select wipe dalvik cache. Once you've done all of this go back, and select 'mounts and storage' and select wipe system. Now go back and select Install zip, and locate the CM12 (or any other lollipop ROM) zip file. Flash the CM12 zip file and allow it to be completed. Once completed flash the gapps zip file.

6. Now go back and select reboot system. If it asks you to root select no. And there ya go! this is all that you need to do for a clean installation. This method allows to reduce the existence of bugs encountered due to dirty or a disorganized way of flashing roms. Sit back and relax and allow your phone to boot.

Last edited:

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
Instructions for installing root: (CM12)

Instructions for enabling root on Lollipop:

1. Go to settings. Scroll down and select(tap) build number, 7 times to enable developer options.

2. Return to settings and select developer options. Scroll down and select Root access. From here you can select either Apps only or Apps and ADB to allow root access. For starters you can select apps, and for those who are well aware of what ADB means you can select Apps and ADB. I won't be telling you what ADB means, you can Google this yourself.

3. Exit settings and open up playstore. Search SuperSu and download it. Once it has been downloaded and installed, open it. It will display a message saying, "SuperSU binary needs to be updated." Select continue, and then it'll display a message with the options, "Normal" and "TWRP/CWM". Select Normal, and any moment a message from privacy guard should appear. Make sure you check the "remember my choice" button and select grant.

4. Once granted permission from privacy gaurd, it will ask you to reboot, so reboot your phone.

5. There you go, you got root access now quit buggin people will ya!

Last edited:

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
Just a remark: For more recent versions of Thunderzap there are the files bootlp.img and bootkk.img.

Yes I'm aware of that. I didn't say anything about thunderzap for Lollipop though haha. In the next guide (How to flash kernels) I will.

Sent from my C2104 using XDA Free mobile app

Rubytux

Aug 18, 2014
Thank you so much for this ROM, it is pretty cool and it helps to extend the life of my Xperia.

I just have it for a couple of hours, but the keys features are working with no problem following your instructions for a clean install :good:

Thanks again for your great work :D

Reactions: Joel16

therishabh

Sep 9, 2014
An update on how to properly install the nightlies for cm 12 would be greatly helpful..... PS- i think TWRP has been fixed by Rohan purohit :)

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
An update on how to properly install the nightlies for cm 12 would be greatly helpful..... PS- i think TWRP has been fixed by Rohan purohit :)

My tutorial on the first post is about installing CyanogenMod nightlies for the first time. It's always best to go from stock. I know he's fixed TWRP but still, when its your first time, that's the best way to go. However after you've flashed CM12, you can either use his recovery for dirty flashing and clean flashing (Wipe data, system and cache).
I'm busy so I'll get back to this later.

feelingx

Nov 12, 2013
Is there any known bug at all after fleshing the ROM?
And Please can you share the link for the cyanogen 12.
Thanks in advance.

Fernando James

Mar 13, 2015
Pros and Con after installing Lollipop

Dear All,

I 've heard after installing lollipop on Xperia L, There are some issues like you can't use Bluetooth,USB charging and copying data via USB, Have you guys faced any such issue, do let me know, i want to install on my phone aswell,

I have already rooted the phone,
C2104, Build No: 15.3.A.1.17
SuperSU app is installed, Also would like to know how to move Games/Apps on External i.e SDcard.

I tried using GL to SD, but that doesnt help me....

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
Dear All,

I 've heard after installing lollipop on Xperia L, There are some issues like you can't use Bluetooth,USB charging and copying data via USB, Have you guys faced any such issue, do let me know, i want to install on my phone aswell,

I have already rooted the phone,
C2104, Build No: 15.3.A.1.17
SuperSU app is installed, Also would like to know how to move Games/Apps on External i.e SDcard.

I tried using GL to SD, but that doesnt help me....

You can use Bluetooth and copy data via USB. I don't know about USB charging, maybe someone else here can answer that.
About moving apps to SD card, you can move certain apps to your SD card, by navigating to settings>apps. This doesn't let you move all of them, only some. Using the gapps package provided in this this you shouldn't worry too much about space :) unless you're gonna be installing 4+ drawers of apps lol.

yatin panchal

Jan 8, 2012
recovery issue

I use twrp recovery and I successfully install CM12 on my phone.
problem is that recovery is automatically update to CWM recovery & now when new nighty arrives I do not update via CWM recovery it show some errors. and I can not install twrp or old cwm recovery also.

so please guide me how to update to new nighty and how to install twrp recovery on cm12

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
I use twrp recovery and I successfully install CM12 on my phone.
problem is that recovery is automatically update to CWM recovery & now when new nighty arrives I do not update via CWM recovery it show some errors. and I can not install twrp or old cwm recovery also.

so please guide me how to update to new nighty and how to install twrp recovery on cm12

Are you using FOTA cwm recovery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You've stumbled across here because you're either a noob, or a very confused person, or ran across some errors that made you choose another ROM. (Or some random lurker) I've created this thread to make it as detailed and user friendly as possible. Anyways without further ado:

I will not be responsible for anything that happens to your device. Follow my instructions carefully, and everything should work fine. This thread is here inorder to prevent the constant reporting of misleading bugs due to a dirty or unorganized way of flashing roms.​

Instructions for installing Lollipop:

Requirements:

- Bootloader unlocked Xperia L
    - USB cable for the phone
    - A computer with flashtool installed along with the necessary drivers.

1. Download the latest version of CM12 or any other lollipop rom along with the Gapps package. I recommend that you use this (use 5.0x for CM12). Download Thunderzap 4.1 as well. (Don't ask why, but make sure you have this in your computer.) Place the ROM and gapps zip files in your SD card or internal storage.

2. The best way to install any custom ROM is to flash them coming from a stock rom. (Skip this step if you're already on stock 1.17) So if you're not on stock, go ahead and grab an FTF from my thread. (Latest version 1.17 - recommended) Flash the stock rom. If you don't know how to do that use this guide as a reference. Do NOT exclude anything.

3. Now you need to flash a custom kernel. To do this, locate and extract the thunderzap 4.1.zip you downloaded earlier on your computer. Then pull out (or copy it somewhere else) the bootjbcwm.img file. You'll need to flash this file via fastboot. If you know how to do that, skip the next step and proceed to step 5.

4. Power off your phone. Open flashtool and select the flash icon. Now hold the volume up button and plug in your Xperia L to your computer via USB. Select fastboot mode. Under "By DoomLoRD", select the option, "select kernel to flash". Now right above the open button you should see an arrow where it says *.sin. Select that and choose *.img. Locate the bootjbcwm.img file and select it. In a matter of seconds the kernel should be successfully flashed. Now turn on your phone, and hold the volume up button when the LED lights up. You have now entered CWM recovery.

5. Enter CWM recovery if you haven't. (when turning on your phone, and hold the volume up button when the LED lights up.) Once you're here select factory reset and select yes. Then select wipe cache, and under advanced select wipe dalvik cache. Once you've done all of this go back, and select 'mounts and storage' and select wipe system. Now go back and select Install zip, and locate the CM12 (or any other lollipop ROM) zip file. Flash the CM12 zip file and allow it to be completed. Once completed flash the gapps zip file.

6. Now go back and select reboot system. If it asks you to root select no. And there ya go! this is all that you need to do for a clean installation. This method allows to reduce the existence of bugs encountered due to dirty or a disorganized way of flashing roms. Sit back and relax and allow your phone to boot.
    Instructions for installing root: (CM12)

Instructions for enabling root on Lollipop:

1. Go to settings. Scroll down and select(tap) build number, 7 times to enable developer options.

2. Return to settings and select developer options. Scroll down and select Root access. From here you can select either Apps only or Apps and ADB to allow root access. For starters you can select apps, and for those who are well aware of what ADB means you can select Apps and ADB. I won't be telling you what ADB means, you can Google this yourself.

3. Exit settings and open up playstore. Search SuperSu and download it. Once it has been downloaded and installed, open it. It will display a message saying, "SuperSU binary needs to be updated." Select continue, and then it'll display a message with the options, "Normal" and "TWRP/CWM". Select Normal, and any moment a message from privacy guard should appear. Make sure you check the "remember my choice" button and select grant.

4. Once granted permission from privacy gaurd, it will ask you to reboot, so reboot your phone.

5. There you go, you got root access now quit buggin people will ya!
    Is it necessary to flash ThunderZap after installing CM 12 on my XPeria L?

No, it isn't. Unless you want to over clock or use some of the features provided by thunderzap then yes, but for now wait till 4.14.

thanks for the guide, I hope it'll go well.
    Thank you so much for this ROM, it is pretty cool and it helps to extend the life of my Xperia.

I just have it for a couple of hours, but the keys features are working with no problem following your instructions for a clean install :good:

Thanks again for your great work :D