FORUMS

Introducing Voices of XDA: Have Your Ideas Heard

By far the greatest assets we have at XDA-Developers are you, the developers, the eager … more

Unofficial Xposed For Lollipop Touchwiz With Flashable Zip

XDA Recognized Developer arter97 has released an unofficial build … more

YotaPhone 2 Pre-Order, Xperia Z1 Price Cut – XDA TV

Android Wear 5.1.1 OTA downloads are now available. That and much more news is … more

[FTF] Sony Xperia Z Lollipop Release

Sony rolled out a Lollipop update for Xperia Z just yesterday. If you still haven’t gotten … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q&A] [Recovery][FOTA]CWM and TWRP recoveries for custom ROMs

QA Bot
12th February 2015, 03:55 PM |#1  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Q&A for [Recovery][FOTA]CWM and TWRP recoveries for custom ROMs

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer.

Before posting, please use the forum search and read through the discussion thread for [Recovery][FOTA]CWM and TWRP recoveries for custom ROMs. If you can't find an answer, post it here, being sure to give as much information as possible (firmware version, steps to reproduce, logcat if available) so that you can get help.

Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy!

12th February 2015, 03:55 PM |#2  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucumber09

Tired waiting for someone to repack kernel with your favorite version of recovery? Or tired to run recovery script every time you update your ROM or kernel? Now you don't need any repacked kernels or recovery-scripts. Use your FOTAKernel as recovery partition!

It works on any kernel with extract_elf_ramdisk utility (it's built in mostly all kernels for custom ROMs, but I am not sure) by @Dees_Troy. And don't forget, that you are doing on your own risk, I am not responsible for bricked devices, acid rains or thermonuclear war.

Installation:

Download zip and flash it via your current recovery. If your current recovery is unusable, you can flash it via terminal emulator:
- Extract FOTAKernel.img and place it to the root of your external SD-card
- Type su and grant root access
- Type

Code:
dd if=/ext_card/FOTAKernel.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p23
- Reboot to recovery to test if it works (if not, try again and check if you are doing it correctly).

Download:
TWRP 2.8.4.0 (thanks to @Rohan purohit for compiling it for Xperia L, I just ported and modded it)
TWRP 2.8.0.0/CWM (or scroll down, it's right below this post)
You can restore original FOTAKernel image by following instructions in this post (or just scroll down, it is 3rd post, lol).

Some info:

Sony Xperia devices don't have recovery partition. Instead of this in custom kernels is used recovery-in-boot conception with two-stage boot (ramdisk-recovery is packed inside main ramdisk). And there is partition called FOTAKernel that is used for installing official FOTA (firmware-over-the-air) updates. After unlocking your bootloader it partition becomes redundant, because you cannot use OTA function anymore. So it may be used for storing recovery ramdisk. And this very useful future was implemented by recognized developer @Dees_Troy (lead TWRP developer), he developed utility extract_elf_ramdisk (it is merged to almost all kernels for Sony devices), it extracts recovery ramdisk from FOTA partition instead of using regular one from boot image. So even after updating or changing your kernel or ROM you don't lose your current recovery! Here is some info from Dees_Troy.

BTW, I don't own any of this work, I just adapted recovery images for using them from FOTA partition. And recoveries are not compiled by me.

Hey, i use your recovery but when i write reboot recovery in terminal, my phone boots normally. But i can acess it by volume up button. How can i fix it?
12th February 2015, 06:10 PM |#3  
Flag Poltava
Thanks Meter: 461

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vp10

Hey, i use your recovery but when i write reboot recovery in terminal, my phone boots normally. But i can acess it by volume up button. How can i fix it?

It is CM bug, it will be fixed in next nightlies.
The Following User Says Thank You to cucumber09 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th February 2015, 11:37 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Hi bro, i see new twrp update in xperia l thread ..
I hope you to update them ..
Thangs
13th February 2015, 12:12 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucumber09

It is CM bug, it will be fixed in next nightlies.

And how we can flash new nightlies without recovery?
13th February 2015, 04:49 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi, can I install twrp 2.8.4.0 from my FOTA recovery 2.4.0.0?
14th February 2015, 05:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by digt

Hi, can I install twrp 2.8.4.0 from my FOTA recovery 2.4.0.0?

[emoji782]
14th February 2015, 06:59 PM |#8  
Flag Poltava
Thanks Meter: 461

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggelosGR

And how we can flash new nightlies without recovery?

Recovery is accessible, just press many times vol rocker 'till you will enter the recovery.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

2ALL

I'm reading Q&A section not often, better write to main thread or tag me (if you are not quoting me), so I will see the notification.
The Following User Says Thank You to cucumber09 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2015, 03:15 PM |#9  

More
How to solve image unstability in FOTA TWRP?
Hello @cucumber09. I've been trying your FOTA recovery, which I consider a great solution for our device, but I'm facing image unstability while in recovery: the screen flips and flicks horizontally making it very hard to tap correctly any option, and could lead to fatal errors. Could you please tell me a solution? I've tried flashing several kernels/traditional recoveries, but when I make it work satable in recovery, then the OS does'nt boot (bootloop). I'm using stock 4.3 15.4.A.1.9 ROM, unlocked bootloader, rooted, with Xposed Framework and Gravitybox module.
Also I've tried many KK and LP ROMs but I always return to stock 'cause I can't stand glitches and gaps while listening to my favourite tunes.
Thanks in advance,
e-bert.
9th March 2015, 04:46 PM |#10  
Flag Rovinj
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-bert

Hello @cucumber09. I've been trying your FOTA recovery, which I consider a great solution for our device, but I'm facing image unstability while in recovery: the screen flips and flicks horizontally making it very hard to tap correctly any option, and could lead to fatal errors. Could you please tell me a solution? I've tried flashing several kernels/traditional recoveries, but when I make it work satable in recovery, then the OS does'nt boot (bootloop). I'm using stock 4.3 15.4.A.1.9 ROM, unlocked bootloader, rooted, with Xposed Framework and Gravitybox module.
Also I've tried many KK and LP ROMs but I always return to stock 'cause I can't stand glitches and gaps while listening to my favourite tunes.
Thanks in advance,
e-bert.

Your problem is using the stock sony rom, it doesn't support FOTA recoveries properly, as soon as you switch to any other rom the FOTA recovery will work.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
auto-qa
Previous Thread Next Thread