Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 47,074 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Play Screen Issue

Tip us?

MattM85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Xperia Play Screen Issue

Hi

I am trying to get my old Xperia Play working again. I had no issues during the two years when it was my main phone, but I since have got the HTC One, and let the wife use the Xperia as her second phone. As far as i can tell, the rings on her fingers have damaged the screen. It does not respond to about 90% of commands, but there are some areas on the screen that still work. Typing is a nightmare, you have to turn the phone 90 and 180 degrees for certain letters to work, and some don't work at all...

I am pretty sure that a new screen would fix it, but somebody I work with said that even a new screen would not fix this issue as it's an old phone that relies on pressure on the screen to work.

Please can anyone advise what parts I would need to repair it. I am happy to do it myself, but don't know if it's a lost cause?

Any help would be much appreciated!

olokos
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,361

DONATE TO ME
Xperia play screen is not pressure based. I don't like this kind of people that think they know best. I actually think that you actually can replace a pressure based (capacitive I think?) screen btw.

Anyway, all you need to replace is most probably just a digitizer. It's not that expensive and the repair is not that hard to do.
Here's a replacement guide that I used mainly because it's high resolution and you can actually see which screw originally was, that's really helpful.
https://www.google.pl/url?sa=t&sourc...KufhSRmectIvHA
My work on xda and things I'm proud of:
Single link for that as the sig got too big ^^
If you want me to reply then please quote my post or mention me by writing @olokos. This way you can be sure I'll reply. sooner or later :P
The Following User Says Thank You to olokos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MattM85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks friend, I will give this a go!

MattM85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Do you think this will be ok?

EBay item number 290930665920