Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,247 Members 46,165 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is Xperia Play still good ?

Tip us?

KiraYahiroz
Old
Thanks Meter 65
I would personally say no and get a more recent phone, the Xperia Play hardware does well with most emulators but I have noticed it struggles with newer Android games, even with a custom ROM. Not to mention the poor battery life as well, makes it hard to use as a phone.

Buying a phone with a bluetooth gamepad will be my advice. I have the HTC One M7 and use a Moga Pro gamepad with it, and while I find gaming on it great, I do have to admit I miss using the Xperia Play's built in gamepad. If you do plan to go this route, I suggest getting a phone with dual front facing stereo speakers, it makes the gaming experience much better.
HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.3, Stock Kernel - Active
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4, Stock Kernel - Active
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY - CyanogenMod 11.0, Android 4.4.4, CM 11.0 Kernel - Semi-Active

legacygt777
Old
Thanks Meter 20
if you're a gamer, the xperia play is still the best phone for the gaming experience. yes there are newer games out there, and my wife owns the new htc one, but the gaming experience doesn't come no where near the xplay. you just have to find games you haven't played (there's over 450+ optimized games). you could buy the gamepad but it defeats the purpose imo.

asphalt 8 on my z tablet doesn't beat 6 on the xperia play. neither does fifa 14 on any phone beat fifa 12 on the xperia play in terms of the experience. if bigger screens, better pictures for facebook, faster speeds and 4glte is your thing, yes the newer phones are the way to go. in terms of pure gaming, xperia play still rules. star battalion, bruce lee, and now king of fighters 98 , pew pew, mini moto, gun commando, plus a ton of emulations are just games on the xperia play that no stock phone can take. there isn't a new game out there that has made me switch yet.