Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is Xperia Play still good ?

OP NickPrio

30th July 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #11  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 74

201 posts
More
I would personally say no and get a more recent phone, the Xperia Play hardware does well with most emulators but I have noticed it struggles with newer Android games, even with a custom ROM. Not to mention the poor battery life as well, makes it hard to use as a phone.

Buying a phone with a bluetooth gamepad will be my advice. I have the HTC One M7 and use a Moga Pro gamepad with it, and while I find gaming on it great, I do have to admit I miss using the Xperia Play's built in gamepad. If you do plan to go this route, I suggest getting a phone with dual front facing stereo speakers, it makes the gaming experience much better.
5th August 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 21

188 posts
if you're a gamer, the xperia play is still the best phone for the gaming experience. yes there are newer games out there, and my wife owns the new htc one, but the gaming experience doesn't come no where near the xplay. you just have to find games you haven't played (there's over 450+ optimized games). you could buy the gamepad but it defeats the purpose imo.

asphalt 8 on my z tablet doesn't beat 6 on the xperia play. neither does fifa 14 on any phone beat fifa 12 on the xperia play in terms of the experience. if bigger screens, better pictures for facebook, faster speeds and 4glte is your thing, yes the newer phones are the way to go. in terms of pure gaming, xperia play still rules. star battalion, bruce lee, and now king of fighters 98 , pew pew, mini moto, gun commando, plus a ton of emulations are just games on the xperia play that no stock phone can take. there isn't a new game out there that has made me switch yet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread