Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,204 Members 45,885 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unlocking bootloader - Xperia S does not stay in fastboot mode

Tip us?

Joej970
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Unlocking bootloader - Xperia S does not stay in fastboot mode

Hey guys!

I'm trying to unlock boot loader on my Xperia S.
I tried the official way - via Sony Development site but I get stuck on the step where you have to connect the phone and push Volume Up button. Problem is that the phone enters the fastboot mode for 5 seconds, but then shows the battery charging logo and it 'quits' the fastboot mode.

Also, when the phone enters the fastboot mode, I should be asked for a driver, but I'm not.
Sony's instruction

Later I tried using the fastboot tool, found here, but the instructions aren't clear, because it seems that the new version is slightly different as the older one. Anyways, when I want to fastboot it (labeled with B) it enters the fastboot mode for 5 seconds, then the phone turns on again.

Fastboot app

elupus2
Old
Thanks Meter 1
The problem is your windows system doesn't have the right fastboot usb drivers installed for your device. If those are not detected it will leave fastboot.

I can't help you with how to get those installed fully. But i think I ended up manually updating a hidden device in device manager. I think it stays around there as a disconnected device which you can update.

Hope this at least points you in the right direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to elupus2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vordhosbnbg
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elupus2 View Post
The problem is your windows system doesn't have the right fastboot usb drivers installed for your device. If those are not detected it will leave fastboot.

I can't help you with how to get those installed fully. But i think I ended up manually updating a hidden device in device manager. I think it stays around there as a disconnected device which you can update.

Hope this at least points you in the right direction.
I can also confirm I did something similar on my Win7 64x - had to manually force some drivers for the fastboot mode.

Joej970
Old
(Last edited by Joej970; 28th August 2014 at 10:32 PM.) Reason: Link were cut
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default From A to Z, please

Okay guys,

first of all, thank you!

Ok, let me explain:
1. what I want: get rid of sony's firmware and flash CyanogenMod11
2. phone: Xperia S, my current firmware: 6.2.B.1.96, (still) locked bootloader , no CWM, no root access, SONY PC companion installed

3. I'm following this tutorial: http://www.androidhogger.com/how-to-...-xperia-s.html
4. I stuck when it comes to root xperia s http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/xperia-s-lt...ean-ota-501291, but this tutorial says I have to unlock bootloader before. Well okay.
5. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2447319
I DID everything as said in instructions till the 10th step, but then the ******* phone does not stay in Fastboot mode. My computer installs (apparently) some random drivers -> it does not ask me what I want to do, 'because the driver wasn't installed successfully'., so I can not point to the usb_driver folder.
I tried updating the driver through the Device manager where 'S1 Boot Fastboot' shows when I enter the fastboot mode, but can't finish because the phone quits fastboot and the SONY's logo apperas before I manage to do anything.
I also installed alternate driver pack (link in DooMLoRD's tutorial), but it doesn't change anything.

That's it, guys. I REALLY hope you can help me, because I can't stand the official firware anymoreeeee. I know you rock the stage of phones

Cheers!

Joej970
Old
(Last edited by Joej970; 29th August 2014 at 06:09 AM.) Reason: Double post
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default From A to Z, please

Sry for 2 posts, can't delete the second one.