How does Cyanogen verioning works?

OP Cellulario

26th October 2014, 08:54 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

109 posts
Sorry for this stupid question but I can't really understand it from the official cyanogenMod website. I am trying to understand the real stability of snapshots releases. I would like to install it but I am not sure if I must wait a stable release. If I install a snapshot, can I update to the stable release when it's out without any trouble, possibly without re-flashing my device?
Last edited by Cellulario; 26th October 2014 at 08:57 AM.
26th October 2014, 10:28 AM   |  #2  
Flag Selangor
Thanks Meter: 142

447 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellulario

Sorry for this stupid question but I can't really understand it from the official cyanogenMod website. I am trying to understand the real stability of snapshots releases. I would like to install it but I am not sure if I must wait a stable release. If I install a snapshot, can I update to the stable release when it's out without any trouble, possibly without re-flashing my device?

Snapshot is not actually really stable.

Nightlies are the one which are released daily. These build contains new untested features. These features are not known if they could damage the ROM in some way or could function properly. Thus the widely known label; unstable.

Snapshots however, are like the nightlies but quite different. Snapshots contained a quite mature features that was included in the previous nightlies. But this does not mean they are stable.

Stable; is.... just stable.
26th October 2014, 11:02 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

109 posts
Thanks I got that from the website. I was actually wondering if i install a snapshot it is easy to switch to a stable and, maybe, if I am noticed and I get the option to upgrade without reflashing.
26th October 2014, 11:04 AM   |  #4  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 88

158 posts
CM11 has only Developer and Release versions (nightlies and snapshots, respectively). Developer channel releases are mainly unstable, have untested and experimental functions and features and 24h cycle. Release are stable (for the most part), tested, nearly everything works (properly).

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Release_Versioning
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread