FORUMS

Lessons learned from the XSP

210 posts
Thanks Meter: 67

By vvaklnprm, Senior Member on 26th September 2015, 02:11 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have been wanting to post this for a long time..
Terrific hardware and benchmarks alone don't make a terrific phone - one of the key takeaways for me from my exp with XSP.
Good optimised software by the OEM matters a lot to the user experience. I am 100% sure that with support from Sony for at least until the release of Kitkat could have made a huge difference now.
I rooted and flashed a new ROM on my phone approx. 6 months after I bought it. I was frustrated of the Stock ROM with so much lag and bugs after prolonged use.
But after using custom ROMs for almost one and half years, I miss the Sony UI. Every custom ROM (except for few) have the same old bland interface. I got sick of it to be honest, even though custom ROMs have better performance.
Next is the camera performance - another let down for me. Same goes to the phone speaker.
Well, what are your thoughts on the XSP before you go and buy another phone?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vvaklnprm For This Useful Post: [ View ]

27th September 2015, 03:00 AM |#2  
Flag Selangor
Thanks Meter: 555

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvaklnprm

This Xperia SP has carved a wondeful meaning into my life.
The Following User Says Thank You to TechnoSparks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th September 2015, 07:00 PM |#3  
Flag Rawalpindi
Thanks Meter: 158

More
All I can say is that no matter how hard I try there will be no phone that can replace my XSP.
The notification bar is the best aspect of XSP which cannot be found on new devices (S6 edge tried to replicate but I guess failed miserably). I love to color it according to the apps I use and while there are many phones with RGB Notification LED, none shines brighter than XSP
The roms have been hiccups. There were some that I liked but got updated to a point they broke (freezes and lags - staring at you Lollipop)
In terms of games I found many that work flawless on it and some that required more RAM and hence stutter a little but with so much old hardware that is to be expected.
The disappointment for me has been camera... I don't think it is possible for any other phone to tint pictures so yellow. But since I usually don't take pictures all that much it never bothered me much.
Lastly XSP taught me to buy a Z-Series if you plan to stick with Sony (which I do even after they abandoned us - yes yes I still haven't forgotten the betrayal of no 4.4 update, don't say you all have)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Araib93 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st October 2015, 05:21 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

More
Yeah true, those darned Sony guys, this phone has equal hardware to the first Z ,but still they didn't consider us because we paid less

Sent from my Xperia SP using Tapatalk
3rd November 2015, 08:36 AM |#5  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 5

More
SP was a good phone
it is a 2013 mid range phone which it beat 2012 flagship phone
just because sony mobile suck
3rd November 2015, 05:49 PM |#6  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 2

More
The hardware is not bad, screen could be a bit better but otherwise it's OK. The (official) software on the other hand is the biggest piece of **** I have ever seen/used in my life. Although the fact that it looks like crap could be opinion-based, the fact that it runs absolutely horrible and has memory leaks and lags throughout is seen by all of us. Keep in mind as a tech guy I could solve this by flashing a ROM and kernel (even so this stuff is still hella confusing and requires a lot of patience), but remember that the idea of a phone being made is so eveyone could use it without having to do that. I can't even begin to imagine what the average user thinks of this phone. Basically it's phones like this that give Android a bad name and make people want to stick to iPhones. I was really surprised to see everyone having such a positive opinion about the Xperia SP on its forums; you guys seem to love it unconditionally.
The Following User Says Thank You to OCDaniel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th November 2015, 06:47 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
A good phone. Think I got it free (or was it SGD30?) as an upgrade

My use is now limited to phone calls, whatsapp, sms, and the occasional surfing. Heck, even an old Sony Ericsson is good enough for my purpose

Anyway, time to say goodbye to Sony...and welcome a Xiaomi Mi 4i (tomorrow)
4th November 2015, 07:28 PM |#8  
Utopia
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvaklnprm

I have been wanting to post this for a long time..
Terrific hardware and benchmarks alone don't make a terrific phone - one of the key takeaways for me from my exp with XSP.
Good optimised software by the OEM matters a lot to the user experience. I am 100% sure that with support from Sony for at least until the release of Kitkat could have made a huge difference now.
I rooted and flashed a new ROM on my phone approx. 6 months after I bought it. I was frustrated of the Stock ROM with so much lag and bugs after prolonged use.
But after using custom ROMs for almost one and half years, I miss the Sony UI. Every custom ROM (except for few) have the same old bland interface. I got sick of it to be honest, even though custom ROMs have better performance.
Next is the camera performance - another let down for me. Same goes to the phone speaker.

I have my sp for a bit over a year and a half now. The phone is absolutely not godlike, but over that past 1,5 year I've loved it. It covers my needs and I think it will keep doing so for a long time, thus I have no reason to go and buy another daily driver. But, I'll agree for sure with you on the "I miss the stock ui" part. I'm running a custom rom and a custom kernel for around 4 months (was sick of stock 4.3's random freezes, and I had customized the rom in some ways [kernel, unbloat and such stuff]). While the performance is heaps better, I miss the ui I experienced when I first powered on the phone, so that's why I'm going back to stock 4.1.2 (with another kernel and some mods of course - after all, this is xda god damn it) just to revive some of that......."nostalgia". Other than that, I wouldn't say it's a terrible phone at all. If not anything, it's one of the greatest devices I've used, and I'm happy I own and use one as a daily driver. I'll keep using it this way until it won't be able to cover my needs.
Last edited by |>/\nte; 4th November 2015 at 07:38 PM.
5th November 2015, 06:51 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by |>/\nte

I have my sp for a bit over a year and a half now. The phone is absolutely not godlike, but over that past 1,5 year I've loved it. It covers my needs and I think it will keep doing so for a long time, thus I have no reason to go and buy another daily driver. But, I'll agree for sure with you on the "I miss the stock ui" part. I'm running a custom rom and a custom kernel for around 4 months (was sick of stock 4.3's random freezes, and I had customized the rom in some ways [kernel, unbloat and such stuff]). While the performance is heaps better, I miss the ui I experienced when I first powered on the phone, so that's why I'm going back to stock 4.1.2 (with another kernel and some mods of course - after all, this is xda god damn it) just to revive some of that......."nostalgia". Other than that, I wouldn't say it's a terrible phone at all. If not anything, it's one of the greatest devices I've used, and I'm happy I own and use one as a daily driver. I'll keep using it this way until it won't be able to cover my needs.

Exactly I don't plan on changing this since it covers my requirements, although I was tempted more than once to do it :P
5th November 2015, 03:57 PM |#10  
Flag Miri
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Perhaps,
...Perhaps Its time to share my part of the story
My Xperia SP which is my first awesome fast smartphone
It took me into a new dimension of android rooting and flashing roms, kernels , bootloader
It has embraced me many type of error while flashing or crashing.
Unfortunately, My Xperia SP squeeze out its last battery percentage and went away....
So, My xperia sp's Battery is now dead and is sealed,
A New Monster arrived for me : Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Its my current device and a new replacement for my Xperia SP
The Good news is that sooner or later i will be Replacing the solder battery of the Xperia SP with a new one and bring it back to life!
I would really want to thank everyone in this thread for supporting this phone up till Cm13 (Marshmallow)

I would really want to thank everyone who had helped me along the way!
9th November 2015, 12:44 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
That Stamina Mode is actually a really good feature. Made my SP go for a week without charging.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)