FORUMS

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (May 17 – 23)

Another week, another recap. The Sunday tradition marches on this week with a fresh … more

Huawei To Sell Honor Smartphones Via Indian Retail Outlets

World’s fourth largest smartphone maker Huawei plans to now sell its … more

Sunday Debate: Are Smaller Bezels Better or Worth It?

Bezels have been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by, and while devices … more

LG G4 First Impressions and Unboxing – XDA TV

The latest in LG’s signature line of “G phones” has been released. … more

 View Poll Results: Do you want Illumination support for AOSP ROMs?

Yes
 
69 Vote(s)
95.83%
No
 
1 Vote(s)
1.39%
Maybe
 
2 Vote(s)
2.78%
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[COMMUNITY] Xperia SP PROJECT Illuminate

Announcement from TheAvengingTITAN: Getting the illumination bar to work on AOSP ROMs so that the Xperia SP can be used for what it was made for.
14th March 2015, 12:51 PM |#1  
TheAvengingTITAN's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 559
 
More
XPERIA SP: PROJECT ILLUMINATE


In collaboration with Rockie Remastered

Introduction
What is the Xperia SP? Why do we have it? Many users have ditched their old phones to get the Xperia SP because of it's unique illumination bar. Many people i know in person have got the SP instead of the Z3 or other Z phones because of it's unique feature that stands out among all the other Android phones on the market. But something went wrong when Sony decided to abandon our beloved Xperia SP after updating it from JellyBean to JellyBean...

Lollipop... we have made it so far in the development chain for Android without Sony's official ROM, we have even achieved a stable KitKat source from Cyanogenmod, amazing! . BUT most of us still dread in the inside when listening to music on our device, the illumination bar doesnt light up. I have tested many ROMs here on xda and only one or two AOSP ROMs could successfully support the illumination bar for music. I have met many people who have never left stock ROM because of this. It is a shame thinking that the works of many great developers such as MrSteve555, Furrydaus, Bagyusz (and much more!) are ignored because of this problem which has been ignored in many AOSP ROMs. Personally, the illumination issue does annoy me because that is the main reason i got the SP, but i also want to contribute to helping AOSP developers.

What We Can Do
We will need every developer to try and get the illumination API to support their ROM and maybe even support their stock music player (regardless if its Walkman or not). OR we could make a music player with the API which can support Lollipop 5.x and Kitkat 4.4.x

Official Sony Illumination API: http://developer.sonymobile.com/know...ation-bar-api/

DOWNLOADS!
Walkman (for JB AOSP) [TEST]: https://mega.co.nz/#!IQgzib7Q!oFcJeD...k4LCRtyDwxBsHU

ILLUMINATION STATUS
Cyanogenmod 11 LBL by @bagyusz: No
Cyanogenmod 12 LBL by @bagyusz: No
Cyanogenmod 11 Weeklies LBL by @MrSteve555: Yes
Cyanogenmod 11S by @Furrydaus: Yes
Resurrection Remix 5.0.2 LBL by @Furrydaus: No
Resurrection Remix 5.3.7 UBL by @Furrydaus: No
Xperia Performance Max Ultra by @Marília de Oliveira: Yes (With Walkman)
ArchXperia 1.0.5 by @MT27i: Yes (With Walkman)
Z3 ExperienceSP 3.1 by @vwadam: No
Archxperia 1.1.0 by @MT27i: Yes (With Walkman)
XperianZe 3.0.5 by @Omessy7: No
Resurrection Remix 5.4.0 UBL by @Furrydaus: Yes
Cyanogenmod 12.1 (Unofficial UBL) by @Mrcl1450: Yes
Boot2Gecko (Firefox OS) by @boylush: No

Coming Soon:
NSX ROM by @demonio98: UNDER INVESTIGATION
Contribute to the list above by replying on this thread. DO NOT PM me.


XDA:DevDB Information
[COMMUNITY] Project Illuminate, Device Specific App for the Sony Xperia SP

Contributors
TheAvengingTITAN
Source Code: http://developer.sonymobile.com/know...ation-bar-api/


Version Information
Status: Testing

Created 2015-03-14
Last Updated 2015-03-15
Last edited by TheAvengingTITAN; 12th April 2015 at 04:18 PM. Reason: 5.1 ROMs Status Updates
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to TheAvengingTITAN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
14th March 2015, 03:51 PM |#2  
TheAvengingTITAN's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 559
 
More
I just remembered, for some users especially for KitKat and JellyBean users, Discolight is a good app on xda (if you Google "discolight apk", you'll find it). What it does is, you can enable a music beat function to apps that is not walkman like spotify and youtube , etc. And the illumination bar will still work when the screen is locked. Go check it out.

What I want to see is an updated version of that app for lollipop. (that app has been abandoned but works perfectly)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAvengingTITAN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2015, 03:52 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
More
Try this for now http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...evice-t3053295
14th March 2015, 04:12 PM |#4  
TheAvengingTITAN's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 559
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan rd

Try this for now http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...evice-t3053295

I have tried that and here are the problems with it:
1. It is loaded with bugs
2. Its 2.3+ which means its unstable in 4.4 (I have tested it) and it definitely doesn't work for lollipop
3. Its no longer supported
4. Its not an SP exclusive, which means it could be faulty.

U-Disco Pro is good when considering getting the illumination to work, but its a paid app
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAvengingTITAN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2015, 07:10 PM |#5  
TechnoSparks's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Selangor
Thanks Meter: 236
 
Donate to Me
More
This problem however can only be solved by creating a new music player. Another possible solution is to have the existing music players to implement the illumination API into their app thus enabling support for our and some other Sony devices. For the ROM, the developer can port over the necessary libraries to make sure the illumination works out of the box. Or the user themselves can download this one "service" apk that handle illumination.

You can fork Apollo and add the illumination API though. However, of course, this will require Java programming knowledge, in which I don't know of.
14th March 2015, 07:23 PM |#6  
TheAvengingTITAN's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 559
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoSparks

This problem however can only be solved by creating a new music player. Another possible solution is to have the existing music players to implement the illumination API into their app thus enabling support for our and some other Sony devices. For the ROM, the developer can port over the necessary libraries to make sure the illumination works out of the box. Or the user themselves can download this one "service" apk that handle illumination.

You can fork Apollo and add the illumination API though. However, of course, this will require Java programming knowledge, in which I don't know of.

I did mention all of what you said above in the first post. I think I will have to take the initiative and add the illumination to walkman or Apollo or the "music" app from CM12 to get it to work on Lollipop and hopefully on KitKat.

I'll try to learn how to do this... Or is there a user who could step forward and mod an apk? This would be greatly appreciated. Let me know here if you wish to contribute to the project and I will PM you so we can discuss about the course of action
14th March 2015, 07:27 PM |#7  
TechnoSparks's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Selangor
Thanks Meter: 236
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAvengingTITAN

I did mention all of what you said above in the first post. I think I will have to take the initiative and add the illumination to walkman or Apollo or the "music" app from CM12 to get it to work on Lollipop and hopefully on KitKat.

I'll try to learn how to do this... Or is there a user who could step forward and mod an apk? This would be greatly appreciated. Let me know here if you wish to contribute to the project and I will PM you so we can discuss about the course of action

Well I would, but I have already mentioned before that I am lacking Java knowledge. In fact, I know nothing about Java programming

If you indeed want to learn, I just want to tell you that it might be a long way for you. It isn't easy to do coding, you know.. I am not scaring you or what, I just want to tell you so. I really wish good luck if you chose to learn programming!

If you wish, you might want to create a new thread in the General Android forum board that refers to this thread. In that way, maybe some other people can help us as well
The Following User Says Thank You to TechnoSparks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2015, 07:30 PM |#8  
TheAvengingTITAN's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 559
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoSparks

Well I would, but I have already mentioned before that I am lacking Java knowledge. In fact, I know nothing about Java programming

If you indeed want to learn, I just want to tell you that it might be a long way for you. It isn't easy to do coding, you know.. I am not scaring you or what, I just want to tell you so. I really wish good luck if you chose to learn programming!

If you wish, you might want to create a new thread in the General Android forum board that refers to this thread. In that way, maybe some other people can help us as well

Yeah that would be a great idea but first I'll check with people I know. Most people in my family know programming. If that doesn't work out, I'll be going to the general android forum, thanks for the suggestion
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAvengingTITAN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2015, 07:32 PM |#9  
TechnoSparks's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Selangor
Thanks Meter: 236
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAvengingTITAN

Yeah that would be a great idea but first I'll check with people I know. Most people in my family know programming. If that doesn't work out, I'll be going to the general android forum, thanks for the suggestion

No problem. I hope someone can help achieving this beautiful thing for our beloved XSP. Thank you for starting the motivation too!
15th March 2015, 12:56 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
More
Why don't you just use U Disco? The Pro version only costs a few dollars.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes