Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,938 Members 49,266 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] noob question on rooting XSP

Tip us?

saddie22
Old
(Last edited by saddie22; 14th August 2014 at 05:19 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] noob question on rooting XSP

Hello everyone. I have probably the most typical question asked on these boards. I would like to root and install a custom ROM. I think anything custom will outperform the stock update I've got from Sony right now. First, my phone:

Sony Xperia SP
C5306
Android v4.3 running stock kernel
Build 0.266
With a locked bootloader

I have read a fair bit of Doomlord's info re: ROMs on LBs. (Thank you Doomlord!)
From what I understand the steps look something like this:

1 - obtain root - I think I should be able to root using Towelroot (Thank you Geohot!)
2- make backup of TA partition? - but I do not plan on unlocking my bootloader, thus this isn't required?
3- flash custom ROM using Flashtool.

Am I totally out in left field? There is soo much information! Can anyone here point me in the right direction for 0.266? I don't care about Bravia engine etc, I just want a smoother ROM.

Please be nice, as so many people have been on these boards!
Thank you from Canada!

pranavthombare
Old
Thanks Meter 35
See bro, I've seen many people say this that I'm a noob. And I've seen the same kind of thread number of times. Please search before you ask.

Just root it with towelroot and install supersu and busybox and recoveries simple. You won't lose be and other stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to pranavthombare For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

saddie22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavthombare View Post
See bro, I've seen many people say this that I'm a noob. And I've seen the same kind of thread number of times. Please search before you ask.

Just root it with towelroot and install supersu and busybox and recoveries simple. You won't lose be and other stuff

Thank you for the reply. I will do a more thorough search. Question though - with a locked bootloader I would still be able to flash a custom ROM?

pranavthombare
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddie22 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I will do a more thorough search. Question though - with a locked bootloader I would still be able to flash a custom ROM?
Yeah, you can. any problems, PM me
The Following User Says Thank You to pranavthombare For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrjraider
Old
Thanks Meter 2,135
No need to sent a PM since the intel can help others too

to root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783885
to instal custom recovery: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2352920
to flash a ROM see the ROM Thread

~~ Regards

PS: Why dont you update to either 201/205/207?
The Following User Says Thank You to mrjraider For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

saddie22
Old
(Last edited by saddie22; 16th August 2014 at 02:29 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjraider View Post
No need to sent a PM since the intel can help others too

to root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783885
to instal custom recovery: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2352920
to flash a ROM see the ROM Thread

~~ Regards

PS: Why dont you update to either 201/205/207?
Many thanks to both of you! I now have root, will install custom recovery, do a nandroid backup, and then flash a custom ROM. I just needed the proper steps, so thank you! Unfortunately I cannot upgrade the FW because my cell provider (Rogers in Canada) hasn't given the green light yet My phone has run really poorly since the latest upgrade, hence my quest to flash it.

saddie22
Old
(Last edited by saddie22; 16th August 2014 at 04:03 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
One question, and it may be a stupid one, but do I need to install the Sony drivers for my phone? I have installed adb, SuperSU and busybox.. are Sony's drivers required? Is fastboot required? Because when I run the install.bat script and select the '1' option it loads the daemon but just sits there - my phone never asks me for SU access. What am I doing wrong, o wise ones?

EDIT: I figured it out and now have TWRP making a nandroid backup. Am very excited. Thanks everyone!